Advertiser asking for location

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by A guy, Jun 23, 2017.

1. I haven't been on for a while but I just noticed the last couple of time I logged on, a banner ad for Wikileaf pops up and my browser says it's asking for my location. Seems like a terrible idea in a weed forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I don't think that was his only point. Even if it isn't sketchy, it gives the impression that it might be.

If I didn't know anything about GC, and if I saw that pop up when I clicked on the site, I would register on a different forum instead.

Just my 2 cents..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Wikileafs is for people who are wanting to find dispensaries in their state if their state has any...which isn't a lot of states.

All you have to do is not Allow it to get your location by hitting Block or whatever the option is and you should also be able to Dismiss the banner.

It is what it is. They chose to add it to the site and so it is here. :)

I understand the points being made, though. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Yes, I see that it's optional. It's just a poorly conceived idea or way to provide location based services. If someone wants to find federally illegal business locations via a service such as Wikileaf, I'm sure they would prefer to just type in a town than to connect phone location services with a website database. It also leaves a bad taste in GC user's mouth as they probably don't want to worry that an ad is actively reaching out for phone location, I'm guessing.

Just an observation. Maybe not a big deal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. All feedback is definitely appreciated. :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. I think it could be approached differently...is kinda creepy seeing it pop up as it is now.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thanks for your feedback , we understand and value your opinions. Please note that the advertisers on this website allows this forum to continue to serve itself from safest datacenters with best practise security methods. Without those advertisers forum wouldn't be here as the costs of this forum are really high.

We understand your concerns and appreciate you supplying them. But it is what it is , best thing we can do is to at least choose advertisers on grasscity when we need something from their website.

We will pass this feedback to higher ups so they can plan better for future.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ^^^^^^^^^ Ya think ?? Hell most of the reason many of us use grass city was the layer of protection we were assured it provided between the world and our little grows legal or not and this defeats the whole idea in my book.
    I'll just hang a big flashing sign in the front yard. WEED HERE !! Bad taste indeed.
    BNW

9. If you choose Not to Allow , it will not get any details about your location at all and we made sure to add a dismiss button so you don't have to deal with it multiple times.

We really understand your concerns and we really made sure to keep our users safe if they choose not to hare their location.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I think for changes that may make some of us uneasy, like our physical location being tracked, you should give us a heads up before it's implemented. Maybe send a notification so we don't worry or have to investigate it. I'm sure some of us are sophisticated enough that wouldn't be necessary but some of us are old and slow. This case was easy enough to fix but it took a whole 5 minutes out of my very busy (not) life to look into.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. We agree that this feature could make members uneasy as many of us are in similar situation including myself. Many knows i live in a country where it is illegal to smoke and grow. Thats why we made sure that it is safe. it effects all of us.

However for future i fully agree with you , an announcement of such feature is necessary.

• Like Like x 1