advantages of soil vs hydro?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Fearofmage, May 20, 2016.

1. just want to know other facts and opinions.

2. Largest crop producers in Europe use grodan slabs. If that's not proof hydro is fundamentally superior, there is none. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. I don't believe one method is better than the other myself, it's more a personal preference. Hydro is pretty complicated for someone who has absolutely no growing experience or concept of how the process works with indoor growing under artificial lighting, so I think soil is the better starting point for the new grower. The thing that is really important, regardless of which method you choose to use, is the lighting you grow under. Of course, you have to be able to grow the plant. If you can't do that, no light is beneficial. But the one factor that determines how good your harvest is going to be is the lighting it grows under from veg throughout flower. The better the lighting, the more your plants will produce. I prefer soil. We use excellent soil and it does the majority of the feeding for me throughout the veg cycle and I only end up having to add few nutrients to our plants throughout their lives...and I like that. I want to feed them what they need to thrive and no more. But hydro requires a certain mental capacity to maintain and do well with. The overall concept is really simple, but it's the technical aspects of the process that produce a lot of failure starting out unless you've got someone who can kind of mentor you along and help you ward of mistakes and make adjustments to correct problems. Listen, soil freaked me out for many months. There was no way I was going to dive into something that I could kill my crop with in one day. At least soil takes 3. LOL TWW

• Like Like x 2
  4. Your opinion. And it's just an opinion.

Like we all have.

J

5. Europe using hydro and quadrupling the rest of the worlds yield, is not opinion.

6. This is where I'm at today I have another post I was posting them but I need that extra mile someone might be able to explain step by step 4 jock horror and 4 rainbow kush

Attached Files:

7. Really? They're growing corn, wheat, sunflowers, rice, soy and other staples In Grodan cubes now?

Stop, please. I'm too tired to argue. OP, it's gardeners choice.

J

8. It's only a simple Google search away. You and the Op can and will do what you want.

Fact is fact, so when comparing, use facts not opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. You didn't answer my simple question above.

Coffee? Are they growing coffee hydroponically now? Apples? Oranges? Peaches?

Yep - I've no doubt lettuces and greens do great in Grodan cubes.

I've had your hydroponic tomatoes - no thanks. Don't even get me started on flavor.

All set derailing OP's thread though.

J

Edit: One more thing though, and perhaps something for you to think about - if hydroponic vegetables are so far superior, as you say, then why does organic produce command a much higher price every single time?

10. I have limited experience in growing for my personal use, and only having seen grows in cali. I will say that I have always preferred bud that was grown in soil by a competent grower vs hydro. And I've been told a few times that hydro will easily get more weight, but soil will taste better. I'm not sure if I fully believe the soil part, but it doesn't help hydro that the most potent of weeds I've smoked were soil grown.
    I've been lucky to have known guys who didn't grow for profit, only bragging rights of the dankness of the weed.
    Sadly that was about 10 to 15 years ago, and all I can find is dispensary hydro, hope to find that 'soil guy'.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Why not do it yourself - if you're in a position to do so?

Head over to the Organics forum and start reading through the No Till Gardening thread. It's worth reading.

I grew hydroponically for 20 or so years before I started making soil from scratch. The difference is night and day - in my opinion. Much cheaper in the long run as well.

Later.

J

• Like Like x 1
  12. I work too much...

I do have a houseplant in soil, she makes my room smell very nice.