Advantages: Led Lights Over Hid Lights

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Smokeysmokesmoke, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Becoming popular fast for mirco grows

Here are some of the Advantages to LED lights.

1. LEDs have far lower energy consumption running at approximately 60% of an equivalent HID;
    2. There is no filament to burn so LEDs have longer bulb times of 50,000 to 60,000 versus HIDs which start dropping output considerable at 2,000 to 3,000 hours;
    3. LEDs are smaller and faster to emit light and are physically more robust so they relatively shock resistant being solid state components;
    4.LEDs' offer far less heat output, in fact the good ones run pretty much ‘cold to touch' while HIDs run very hot. LEDs reduce your fire risk considerably;
     5. LEDs can focus their light output with the use of lenses rather than disperse the light like HIDs that require reflectors;
    6. LEDs have the power management built in while the HID lamps rely on external ballasts which also add another 150 Watts of power consumption;
    7. LEDs are more expensive to start a grow with when compared to HID but they are cheaper over the long term;
    8.LEDs are instant on and instant off, they do not need to ‘warm up' like HID lamps; LEDs can be dimmed also if required;
    9.LEDs are safe, classed as ‘Class 1 LED product' as they do not contain mercury like compact fluorescents.

2. yeah that "warm up" is really a problem. My plants get really stressed waiting for the HID to warm up.Sometimes it takes almost a minute.

3. for example because of the different size hoods hid can cover more area than an led

MOST leds are made so cheap they cost MORE money to have to replace

to change spectrum on led means buying a new light system hid you buy new bulb

these are just a couple advantages off the top of my head again I'm not saying one is better than the other I've researched too many good and bad things on bothering systems

something is better than nothing http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1322311-First-Internet-Journal

4. I like LEDs alot but most of the reasons you give are moot.

HPS / LED /CFL all have their own advantages/disadvantages, and work best in different circumstances.

1.  less wattage gets you less buds...

2. yes. leds have a big advantage with bulb replacement.

3. solid state electronics is irrelevant in a system where the light never moves nor is subject to shock.

4. Leds may run slightly cooler due to the fact they don't put out the IR heat the HPS does. but HPS has the advantage of being able to mount the ballast away from the grow, reducing alot of heat.

5. that's an advantage and disadvantage.  Max yields with HPS is with a vertical orientation, bypassing the hood altogether. A vertical setup is not possible with LED..actually it would defeat the purpose of growing vertically. (anyone trying to grow vert with led doesn't understand the concept)

6. yes. ballasts do add extra wattage..not a flat 150w though. Electronic ballasts are much more efficient though..and run cooler.

7. yeh!

8. yeh! except warm up doesn't matter at all...except when restrike is an issue..which is usually isn't. HPS can be dimmed just fine with a digital ballast.

9. yes! I 100% agree led bulbs < cfl bulbs. 

I build alot of grow boxes and any future builds will be made with led bulbs rather then cfls bulbs. I'm always amazed at how much CFLs are pushed on the public in this 'green' movement..yet they're very breakable and have toxic chemicals in them. ..more amazing 9 out of 10 ppl that own or use cfls have no clue the precautions you should take when cleaning up a broken cfl.

5. #8 GoldGrower, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014

This is completely stupid, and here's why..

1. Wrong, LEDs and HIDs use whatever they use. I have an HID that uses 270 watts of electricity and I also have an LED that uses 270 watts of electricity. HID and LED are available in many different wattages 

2. LED diodes may indeed last twice as long as an HID bulb but when you consider that you need to pay several hundreds of £s to replace the LED and £15 to replace the HID your point is completely irrelevant.

3. LEDs are not smaller. They come in all sorts of sizes, just like HIDs do. My 270w LED is bigger than my 600w HPS, way bigger.

Robustness is irrelevant when you hang the light in your grow room and don't kick it down the street.

4. Completely untrue. I have a metal halide and an LED that use the same amount of electricity and both give off the same heat.  The heat from the MH come from an inch square spot and the heat from the LEDs come from a 3 square-foot panel. All that heat is spread out so although the actual diodes feel cooler when you have both lights the correct distance away it's about the same.

My 600w HPS heats my tent way less than my 270w LED because I have it in an air cooled hood. LEDs are a nightmare for heating up tents 

5. This makes no difference. The only difference is what the plants receive. You could just as easily rephrase that as "LEDs need to use lenses when HID doesn't need them and is able to use a reflector instead" 

6. This is a major advantage for HIDs. You can have the ballast outside of the grow area, LEDs are inside the unit itself and adds to the heat signature heating up the tent.

A ballast won't use as much as that. My 250w HID ballast adds another 20 watts to the 250 the bulb uses totalling 270watts 

7. Yes LEDs are more expensive to buy, but they are more expensive in the long run too. I have no idea where you are getting this idea from. LEDs may out live an HID bulb, but they won't outlive an HID reflector or ballast. An HID bulb costs around £15 to replace and and LED can be several hundreds. The amount of electricity it uses depends on the actual unit itself and has nothing to do whether it's LED or HID

8. HIDs take about 20 seconds to warm up, what is the issue with that? HIDs can be dimmed. I have two HID ballasts. One can be switched between 250w, 400w, 600w, and 660w. The other can be switched between 125w, 190w, 250w, and 275w 

9. All lights are safe when used correctly and all are unsafe when they are not.

I have nothing against LED lights, I have one myself, I also have CFLs and HIDs. They all have their advantages, but this post is completely balls. There is one huge advantage that LEDs have and that is the one reason why I bought mine and you didn't even mention it. 

From what you have said it looks like you have never used any lights for growing and you have been reading eBay listings for your information

6. #9 Peflora, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
    The Never Ending Argument :hello:

LEDs have come a loooooong way in 4 short years

99% of cheap chine panels are JUNK and give LEDs a bad name

Expect to pay ~ $3/watt for quality

I am now growing with Solar Spec panels, a new comer, designed by a mj grower

Drop in to see the show.

Currently using a SS 100 for seedlings/clones. Very impressive.

Also good for raising a single plant (~ 20 x 20)

Even has piggyback socket in case of doubling up :yay: