Advanced nutrients Vs. General hydroponics

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by durkadurka555, Oct 7, 2008.

1. #1 durkadurka555, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008
    Has anyone used both of these brands for a grow and can compare them to each other.
    Anyone notice bigger yields, better taste, more potentcy,etc?

2. Honestly, AN has greast nutes, but I have used AN, Fox Farm, Botanicare, Ionic, General Hydroponics, Technaflora(BC Grow, Bloom, and Boost), and Dutch Masters. Dutch Masters is the only one I do not suggest b/c it is weak and you go through it like water. To me concentration is important. I pretty much get the same results from all of the above. I prefer to use Botanicare, Ionic, or Technaflora b/c they have good concentrations and are affordable. If I had to choose between the 2 mentioned, it would be Advanced, I find them to have more bang for your $'s.

less

3. I'd agree. Even if you save some money at the register with the General Hydroponics stuff, the difference in your grow will end up costing you in the end.

It's like if you burn a gallon of gas to save $1.00 filling up at the pump. The gallon you wasted looking for the better price cost more than you saved.

4. That's a nice way of putting it hydrocult.

You can compare Advanced Nutrients and General Hydroponics but not on equal footing. There's a lot of similarities but always the same difference. AN is just always enough better.

I think the names alone say it all. Do you want to grow you plants with General Hydroponics or Advanced Nutrients. I mean honestly, the guys who built these companies could have named them just about anything they wanted to, and the GH guys decided to be kind of middle-of-the-road... General. The AN guys wanted to push forward, to Advance.

I think that hydroponics itself is enough of a forward-thinking, advanced concept to make forward-thinking, advanced nutrition important.

5. hahaha....i like your thinking....i dunno about basing my assumptions of nute' choices on names of companies but that was good for a laugh. but i do agree that AN is better than GH. after using GH that is....both good lines though

6. I use GH, simply because it was recommended to me a long time ago...

-C

7. Naw man, I'm not saying that one's better than the other because of their name, or that this is what I base my opinion off of. I'm just saying that you're starting a business and you can name it whatever you want (that hasn't already been used), the name you pick says a lot about yourself and what you want your business to be.

"Very Few Explode Auto Sales" isn't exactly a confidence booster, is it? Perhaps "Rad Rides" would sell more cars?

So yeah, I'm not saying that I like Advanced Nutrients because their name is cooler or something. I'm saying I like them because their stuff is better and that it's just interesting how a company's name can reflect on the psychology behind their formation.

8. I use both but cant compare because i use them together.

Their are the basic 2-3 part nutes and then there are suppliments (AN has alot and i use 7)in conjunction with GH Lucas and superthrive in veg only and Multizyme in both with clearex to flush.

Not sure if GH has several sups like AN does but i found a resipie for GH/AN and love the results,BTW AN was developed in Canada for MJ growing exclusively.;)

9. yes it was developed for mj specific, and i like that....but i just found out that when AN connoisseur first came out they recalled the hell outta it caused it killed a lot of people's plants but when i try to find info, their is not that much. Either im looking in the wrong places or its a little suspect...anyone know more???

10. My Question is "Why wasnt Fox Farms used in the Nutrients Experiment?

Outdoors Ive always used natarual materials, i.e. compost, pot-ash, etc.

Now that Ive moved indoors, I went with Fox Farms. and their supplements. Thats why I would've like to see how FF would have held up in that competition.

11. I've used AN's Sensi Grow / Bloom (A&B) and I've used GH Lucas Formula.... my advice (from my own personal experience) would be to use Advanced Nutrients supplement line to the Lucas Formula with GH...

I say this because during the growth stages of the plant, I had several problems with Advanced Nutrients... magnesium deficiency, pH swings, etc... when I started my second grow with the Lucas Formula, my pH pen was almost rendered obsolete and I never had any types of deficiencies...

The supplement lineup from AN is second to none though, IMHO, so if you choose to use the Lucas Formula, back it up with some of AN's lineup as well... makes for a great all around recipe.

Just my .02

12. i see...
    i am now using botanicare pure blend pro grow with liquid karma.
    my plants are about 2 and a half weeks-3week old

are their any super benificial nutes/suppliments from AN that would make a big difference during the veg stage? I do haqve sum more cash lying around for the grow and if there is something I could get nute wise to beef things up im all about it

13. I was explained that AN also had another product which was killing plants (Sensizyme)which was pulled/recalled and the hydro shop guy tried to steer me from the AN line(i felt he just wanted me to buy his recommendations(proly more profit in it for him)never did find anything substatiating this either and still use the sensi but have since changed to Multizyme($40 a quart:()

Look into rooting with Pirhana for the 1st 2 weeks (dump it after that)while also using ANs B-52 through all weeks of the grow till one week prior to the flushing.7-5ml per gal in veg and 4-6.5ml in flower,starting at the lowest and working up through the grow.

14. general hydroponics. period. all you will ever need, and some mag pro (by dyno gro) for magnesium. this stuff is tried and true, everyone is so cali and san diego who smoked the best stuff down here for the last 10 years can attribute. 1000s of lbs and not once a problem with that stuff....never tried advanced nutrients but never needed to, look up my yields in the other posts and decide for yourselves, ill put my records against anyones and it was all done with general hydro. gl

15. Not so much during veg... best thing to do there is to just dial your nutes in perfect and work on more light, CO2, stuff like that.

Besides that you could try some Piranha or Voodoo Juice, both should supercharge your roots which will pay off most in flowering.

16. I would say use ANs B-52 throughout,i find it does make a dif. in veg.

17. Here's what I'm really wondering though - as I have never tried the AN line of products.

First off - I dont think I have ever seen such a HUGE media hype effort as what I've seen for AN. This is either because they are dumping money in marketing, or the shit is the nector of baby Jesus himself.

My question though is: It looks to me as though AN is some of the most complicated mixes around, requiring quite a few different 'additives' and 'core' nutrient suppliments just to create the ideal environment for the plants.... am I wrong in that observation?

If not - how could anyone ever want to use this stuff? I mean the chance of failure increases rapidly each time a new item is added into a rez just trying to dial it in... with so many different things needing to be added, it's like a setup to burn the fuck outta the plants.... or no?