Advanced Nutrients Vs. General Hydroponics - Side-By-Side

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by jakesterjammin, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Finally - just saw someone on another thread bitching about finding an AN vs. GH grow. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Thanks for doing your part for MMJ growing.

2. Thanks,
    But you all will not know which nutrient is on side A or side B until the end.

Also since I have this side by side chamber built, I'm going to be doing a few nutrient testings side by side... Then when we're happy with the nutrient testing, I'm going to split the chamber and we'll start testing other things....

Like can the $30 bulbs produce the same as the $150 bulbs... :confused:
    Can LED produce the same as HID... :confused:
    Etc. etc. etc

There is a LOT of myths which have been passed down over the years, and by this time next year, I hope to see are the myths, fact or fiction..

Stick around, it's going to be a great year for growing!! :wave:

3. very very clean and pro looking setup bro! now for the test you running same strain all 4 buckets?

my money is on that GH :D

im in this one brother...! +rep

4. Thanks Dread...
    Yes, just started some Sensi Star mothers, and the clones will come from the same mother.. I'm going to try and pick the closest matching clones, as far as root growth, leaf structure, clone size, etc. etc. so I can get somewhat of a base for the testing.

I have been a LONG time user of GH, and thought for sure GH at half the cost would produce just as good as AN..

But the last grow I used AN to get some hands on with their product.. After the first time using AN, now I'm not so sure anymore...

I'm not going to let anyone know which is in chamber A or B, just supply all the collected data, and at the end, let everyone know which was which...

That way each person can make their OWN judgment as to "is AN's cost worth what they seen" in the images and data sheets... Then again, I'll just keep testing nutrients until we put most if not all the myths to rest...

:smoke:

5. Nice clean setup :)

Really interested to see how this turns out. I think AN will edge it in the end, the best results coming from a mix of the two. Which AN are you going to use? I'm thinking of introducing overdrive and big bud into my regime, on top of the House and Garden range. Best of both worlds!

6. I'm going to use both products per their suggestions...

AN, it is their complete "Grand Master" lineup..
    GH, I'm again using their complete lineup including their Sub Cultures (B & M)..

Even though GH does not list their Sub Cultures within their calculator, I feel without them, AN would have an unfair advantage...

So I got the COMPLETE lineup of both nutrient companies... ;)

Also Twist, this is the exact reason I'm doing this side by side...
    Just before you, Dread posted he believes GH is going to take it, but you believe AN is going to take it...

So we're all going to find out!!!
    If you ask 100 people what is the best nutrient to use, you will get just as many answers as there are nutrient companies...

Then again, I'm not stopping there, we're moving on to other nutrient companies putting them up next to what "I feel" is the winner of the last side by side... Then when all is said and done, I'll maybe run some side by side with "your best soup mix" next to (again) what "I feel" to be the winner..

The reason I'm going put the next nutrient side by side to who I feel won the last round, is because there is going to be a LOT of little things which you all wont be able to see, such as bud density, taste, smell, etc. etc.

For these things which you would need them in hand to judge, you'll just have to take or leave my opinion and advise in your own personal judgments...

But I want get a good base, make this as fair as I can, collect all the data and pictures I can, and supply it all to you (the community), then from what you see, you make your own judgments...

But honestly, I do not believe there is going to be a night and day difference between the two nutrient companies..

So again, I'm just going to supply you all with the information, what you decide to do is solely up to you based on "your own" personal budget and expectation level.

:bongin:

7. cant wait to see your results

8. Nope, having subbed to this thread you are under moral obligation to provide me with samples so that I can test them out myself :)

Glad you are using comparative methods on both, wouldn't have been fair otherwise. Guess I am just going to have to wait and see.

9. #29 jakesterjammin, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011

I would like to elaborate on this...

I TOTALLY agree, how refreshing to find a company which cares about its customers so much that they would take out of their profits to give back to the community..

WE ALL NEED TO SUPPORT COMPANIES LIKE The Hydro Source!!

This company has GREAT prices, wonderful customer support, and ship in discreet packaging. If you do find something cheaper elsewhere, use the "Price Match" button, they will match or beat the price!!

Also, I STILL have not found Nutrients cheaper elsewhere!!
    They also sell Nutrient Bundles which beat any other company's prices hands down!

So the next time you need to order something, PLEASE just check them out and again, we need to support the companies which support us, and not just take our money..

:wave:

10. You know, the whole idea of a side-by side comparison is good, just wish there was a 3rd party who did the same with MORE nutrient brands at the same time. Or using the same nutrient but differerent supplements. Guess that 3rd party would need funding since this would get expensive after a while.

Also VERY curious about the LED vs HID test too.

Good luck!

11. This is cool, I am very interested

12. The problem with that is the "base"...
    In order to get accurate results they all would have to use the same base..
    We all know that plants produce different results even through they are from the same strain, and or the same offspring batch..

But I'm about as 3rd party as you can get..
    I could CARELESS which one is better than the next, all I care about is setting aside all the marketing hype and getting down to facts...

Again, I do not have a degree in horticulture and certainly I'm no professional....
    I do not have top of the line equipment, I do not have the gas chronographs, I do not have a team of over paid lab rats...

Its just me, the average grower, which is faced with the same things we're all faced with on a day to day bases...

So IMO, this is about as best as you can get over any 3rd party labs doing nutrient testing...
    What they can produce in a lab environments we as average growers cannot, just because we're faced with daily battles with heat, cooling, contaminations, etc etc etc...

But what I hope to get out of this personally and hopefully supply you the growing community is actual facts without ANY media hype..

We also must remember, what I'm happy with, you may not be..
    So in the end, lets say GH produced the same quality as AN, but AN was easier to maintain in a hydroponic system.. Well I maybe happy using AN and paying almost double the cost for the ease of maintenance, but you may not be..

Thus the reason I will NEVER say AN is better than GH, or GH is better..
    Because that is a personal opinion based on "my own" budget and expectations..

What I hope to do is supply you with enough data and images/videos so you have enough information to make your own discussions based on YOUR OWN budget and expectations..

13. Sounds like your doing it right. Just make sure you control the variables so all things are equal. Of the top of me head; same type & age bulbs, same reflective materials, same size and type reservoirs, etc...) IIRC your doing all this already.

The good thing is you have "no pony in this race". Its well known that scientists can bias results towards desired outcomes via subtle inclinations.

14. All the equipment and nutrients are brand new off the shelf..
    As you can see from the pics, both sides will be getting the same amount of light..

The ONLY difference between the two sides will be the nutrients being supplied.. ;)

15. are you doing the recommended formulas for both?

I'd love to see you compare AN vs GH in the lucas method side-by-side. I know the lucas method was initially designed for GH flora series, but there have been more recent formulas for different products/brands | The Lucas Formula

16. Yes, I first want to approach this as if I have never grown hydroponics and simply buy what the nutrient company suggests and use it per their nutrient calculator...

There is a few reasons I want to do this, the first is because of all the NEW growers which are SICK AND TIRED of paying crackhead/drug dealer prices from their so called caregivers for their medication... Most want to try and grow, but are scared to spend the startup money only to fail and end up having to buy their medication anyway..

The second is because most people which need this medication are on a fixed income or cannot afford to waste money or time...

So I want to know (for my personal patients), can I get the same results by using a nutrient which is almost half the cost?? Or does spending more money really mean better medication and or more medication from the same setup...

My goal is to get the best medication to my patients as cheaply as I can..
    Then since I'm doing this, I might as well share the information with the growing community to maybe help another (true) caregiver and their patients..

17. well in that case, wouldnt the lcas formula be better for people new to growing with small startup, seeing as you only need 2 out of the 3 components?

That, along with all the praise for the lucas formula, is what helped me start up. I dont think I'd have enough money for other components if I had to pay for a third nute solution.

18. No, this side by side has to do with buying what the nutrient manufacture suggests, following their directions, and getting the results they claim...

Period...

Big Mike (the CEO of AN) claims their nutrient will grow buds the "size of your arm" and beat ANY OTHER nutrient on the market head to head... Which is directly related to the cost of their products....

So this started out as I wanted to test AN Vs. GH head to head from the average grower, but then thought why stop there...

This side by side has NOTHING to do with custom soup mixes (eg. lucas formula)... We'll get to that point, but not now...

Why not test custom soup mixes now???
    Because this is my patient's grow and he said this is the way its going to be.... lol :p

You can post and we can debate a billion reasons why I should be doing things differently, but the foundation has been set, so ride along or unsubscribe...

I'm just glad to be a part of it, that way I can better advise my other patients which ask, "if I spend more money on AN, will I get better medication, or more medication with my same setup"???? Or ask, "is one nutrient manufacture better than the next"???....

I have ALWAYS answered no, it's all hype..
    But that is a personal opinion and not based on any grow facts...

Well it would be nice to answer that question with some facts to back up what I'm claiming..

19. I can't get over the fact that MJ is seen as medication, cross a border and it' a different story.

20. I'll second that. I'm in a non-med mj state so I haven't seen/heard too many anecdotal stories of it being a help for people. I say this out of ignorance, but its hard to separate the % of people who really find value in it for medical reasons versus people who really don't need it and are just saying they're sick.

With that said, there's so many legal drugs with so many bad side effects it almost doesn't matter. Every time I hear a story of someone dying from legal drugs it makes me scratch my head an wonder when all states will adopt medical mj. The recent news of the Dr. who played a role in Micheal Jacksons death comes to mind considering he was handed his sentence today.