Advanced Nutrients users, what ratio do you use?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by DrGreenthumb22, Apr 24, 2012.

1. LOL, looks like I missed out on all the fun. Dangit

Who the hell was even suggesting precise numbers could be applied universally to any grow anywhere based on what was written here? LMAO

That's almost as funny as someone saying jakester doesn't know what he's talking about. It takes all of about 3 seconds looking through one of his journals to realize he grows on a bad day better than most people do in their wildest dreams.

This thread is nothing more than people answering a basic question with a basic answer, how much nutes do you use. I use about this much. If someone is going to go off half-cocked and take something they find in this thread as gospel without doing enough reading to realize that if you name a variable in a grow room you've just named a variable that can influence what ppm you should feed at, well that kind of person is going to jump the gun and be half-educated whether some wound-up store owner goes on a rampage about what's accurate or not.

That's not the point. The point is that people like to get together and compare notes. We talk about what we do, compare it to what other people do, and we learn. We maybe try new things that work better or worse and we learn.

And we learn MORE and BETTER when we're being nice and talking nicely.

Anyway, sorry if I'm dredging that all up again. I just really wanted to commend (almost) everyone for dealing with all that with such cool heads. It definitely wouldn't have gone that way on many forums. GC rocks.

Oh, and I wanted to say that while I totally agree 100% on the weekly res change thing (I did it weekly for the first two weeks I grew hydroponically and then said "screw that, this thing is friggin heavy") there's another reason beyond just wanting to sell more nutes behind it.

Look at it like the whole 5,000 or however many miles oil change. Is it necessary? Of course not. Most people are incredibly negligent when it comes to changing the oil in their cars and the cars still run fine. Do cars that have the oil changed regularly run better? Frequently, but that could simply be that people who change their oil frequently take better care of the car in other ways as well.

Car companies don't stamp out that number completely arbitrarily, though, and not because they're in league with the oil companies even though they probably are. They do it because that's the number that most safely guarantees you as the owner will be happy with their car and want another one when you buy the next car.

So sure, changing your reservoir every week makes you use more nutes and it makes them more money. But it also makes sure you're using nutes that are that much fresher and that much more likely not to end up with too much of one or more macro/micro nutrients used up. Let's face it, they want you to be impressed with their nutrients so you'll buy the same brand next time, right? Well if you're changing the nutes every week you're giving them the best chance to be impressive. So maybe the motivation includes that it uses nutrients faster, but it probably has more to do with them wanting to give advice to maximize the average guy's odds of growing plants awesome enough to turn him into a devoted customer. I'm just a firm believer that the nute companies are working from enlightened self-interest, not simple greed.

Like I said, I don't change the reservoir every week. I'm lazy and I do just fine with every 2 weeks. But if I were gonna do a side-by-side or try to win a competition, I'd do it weekly. For the side-by-side I'd want there to be no excuses for why nute A beat nute B, and for a competition I'd want any little edge I could get.

2. And that's the sign of a great grower!
    Always looking at the others seeing if they have a better method which works for you too...

So no matter if you own a hydroponic store or not, we all should stop to learn something from real world growers...
    That being said, check this out....

Here is a plant which was a little experiment of mine cpl months back...
    What I did was take the standard bubble bucket, and a 10" bucket net pot lid...

I use AN's grand master line and it was NOT the pH perfect...
    What makes this grow unique is how I topped the bubble bucket and changed it...

The plant was vegged as normal, when I started flowering, the first soup mix was at 1050ppm @ 5.6..
    Then I made a full strength nutrient gallon, and a gallon of plain water pHed to 5.6 up..

I never checked the ppm or pH, all I did was top with water, then top with nutrient..
    At the end of the week I checked the ppm was within 100 points from where I set it when I mixed...
    I did this for one month before I changed the soup in the bucket...
    Then they went the last month the say way, and a week flush at the end...

I ended up with this plant and she came in just under 7 Oz dry and cured...

And thanks Aeroherbs for the kind words... :eek: :wave:

Attached Files:

3. [quote name='"jakesterjammin"']
    And that's the sign of a great grower!
    Always looking at the others seeing if they have a better method which works for you too...

So no matter if you own a hydroponic store or not, we all should stop to learn something from real world growers...
    That being said, check this out....

Here is a plant which was a little experiment of mine cpl months back...
    What I did was take the standard bubble bucket, and a 10" bucket net pot lid...

I use AN's grand master line and it was NOT the pH perfect...
    What makes this grow unique is how I topped the bubble bucket and changed it...

The plant was vegged as normal, when I started flowering, the first soup mix was at 1050ppm @ 5.6..
    Then I made a full strength nutrient gallon, and a gallon of plain water pHed to 5.6 up..

I never checked the ppm or pH, all I did was top with water, then top with nutrient..
    At the end of the week I checked the ppm was within 100 points from where I set it when I mixed...
    I did this for one month before I changed the soup in the bucket...
    Then they went the last month the say way, and a week flush at the end...

I ended up with this plant and she came in just under 7 Oz dry and cured...

And thanks Aeroherbs for the kind words... :eek: :wave:[/quote]

How do you feel about the ph perfect? My PH was 5.9 when i mixed it 3 days ago and is now sitting at 6.3 and i call advanced Nutrients help line and they say thats normal. Im so used to bringing the PH back down to 5.6 every other day.

4. Ya it does help...
    You have other problems Kushman and it's not the nutrient...

So we need to look at everything in the chamber...
    Do you have a thread going??

5. True, true.

What I would say is that it's more about what your PLANTS want, not what the bottle says they want. All plants are different, you know.

6. *claps for aeroherbs*

Yay for common sense and reason...

7. Well IMO, AN is giving you a base to start with, that gives great results, and won't harm your plants.. But we want to take that base and see just how far can we push the plants, and then ride that fence line til the end...

The couple strains I ran though last run, one could handle as high as 1400ppm (on a 500ppm scale), while the next could not even handle 1200ppm before signs of distress were observed...

So we really want to start at the nutrient company's suggested base (if you will), and go up from that point...
    When seeing just how fast a strain will process nutrient, I will usually go up 50ppm every 3 days and observe the plants very closely... Especially the tips because that's where you're going to start seeing nute burn.. ;)

When I start seeing the slightest nute burn, I back it down 50ppm (draining some adding water then pHing) and run with that ppm..

NOW on the other hand, a very close friend of mine (YODA, aka Budslinger) told me to try slow and low..... :D
    Thus why I don't try maxing out the nutrient anymore trying to get the most from the plants...

I run between 1000 and 1100ppm @ 5.6 to 5.8 pH, get about an inch growth a day, tight node spacing, and could not be happier...

POINT being, find and try someone's "base" soup, and then fine tune it to suit your needs personally...
    Or if you find it don't work for you, then mark it up on the board as "live and learn", and move on...

The ONLY bad thing getting information online, with everyone that grew a plant thinking they have the knowledge to offer advise, you can get some real bad information, so you almost have to research the poster's qualifications to make that post... LOL

In any case, experiment!
    You may come up with the next big breakthrough!!

Good luck to all freedom fighters! :wave:

8. Much AN (plus other) experience shown on this thread. Hopefully I can take it past AN ratios and answer some of my many questions. First, please read what I have written in my profile about my current grow set up and it's goals. I am an excellant filter for what I am looking for so please go into as much detail as time allows. This is my job. I am here to learn.
    The majority of my nutrient experience has been with House and Garden product line and Coco base. I have also played a bit with both FloraNova Grow and Bloom. Some of the best stuff I have ever seen in my life came from ebb and flo General Hydro back in 2000. A friend rocks out GH on some of my strains and does them justice for sure. To a high degree I feel that experience, a dialed system and knowing your strain will rock out excellent product and yields and "any" nutrient line will do a good job. I also usually feel that spending the higher dollar amount for two "similar" products leads to going home with the higher quality product. The AN line seems to cost a fair bit with all it's different parts. Actually, I just moved and the local hydro store has GH or AN choices. The closest H&G store is 3.5 hrs away. GH seems "dilute" to me. Maybe it's cheaper but I have to add a lot more then I am used to to hit target EC. Not psyched. Support local. I need to learn more about AN.
    My first thought is to go strait for the Connoisseur base with Grand Master program because "more is better". I don't think I understand many of the additives or the program exactly. What I get for the Nute calculator doesn't address things like CarboLoad, Hammerhead or Kushiekush, and includes things like the organics Nirvana and Sensizym and the beneficials Piranha and Tarantula. Beneficials in hydro? I gave up Great White long ago. Is there something to it? I ran an organic rez for a summer my first year. The end result was hand watering for two years because I was so bitter about the mess and cleaning. Right now things that say even partly organic sound pretty scary to put in my nice easy to clean hydro system. So... What gives? Also been using ProTect silica for quite a while and feel comfortable about it and my own dosing rate compared to strains and their nute blend. Any reason to bother with Rhino Skin. I certainly wouldn't use both. ProTect seems to be a pretty hardcore pH up. Is Rhino Skin also a strong pH up? So many combinations to be had. I also incorporate a certain amount of Botanicare CalMag in every nute batch. To use or not to use? "pH perfect" base nutes? My gut is that I could care less about pH perfect nutes because I will pH every batch myself and when it hits the plants a pH doser will take over. Pros, Cons? Have plans of setting the doser to maintain pH 5.8. Thoughts? Have plans of making the chiller maintain rez temp of 62. Thoughts? Have plans of using a 400 gph pump to stir the Main Feeding Rez at all times and do not plan on using an air pump/stone at all. Thoughts. I'm hoping all your thoughts are AN specific with top drip hydro in mind. (or actually at least some sort of the many continual feeding systems such as DWC or NFT) 
    Things of great concern:
    This current system is a set it and forget it system. Round one and my being here are coming to an end. I will not be here to monitor the plants and any adjustments I make can be done only twice per cycle max frequency. I hope to install AN for the next and continuing rounds and would really love to just give something tasty to the plants and never have to look back.
    Money. I love to throw massive amounts of money to all the right things but throwing it away to a degree is not as fun. There is a reasonable amount of waste when it comes to the current rez change system and putting massive dollars of nutes into each rez may not be the end cost effective way. Six reservoirs each holding 30 gal will be "chained" together with timers + pumps and set to staggered times. Main rez feeds plants and a chiller, rez 2 feeds Main rez, rez 3 feeds rez 2, rez 6 is fed by the Stealth RO and Float valve. This "chaining" can go forever but I have to be back to make clones so at no point will there be a time gone for longer then three weeks. Or get an automated rez doser which I probably will at some point but don't have the money now. Anyway, Main Rez dumps down the toilet twice a week and the "chain" advances forward one rez each dump. Upon return every rez contains 30 gal of RO and is ready to be mixed again. This system wastes far more water and nutes then a standard hydro system which I would continually be around. I don't want to cross the line where I dump so much expensive water that I don't more then make up for it in product. Got better suggestions for the nute set up. Suggest thems. Got info that I should know and it's already out there? Tell me where to go and find it. 
    It's 420 pm, got to run.

9. THIS.

Ever time I hear someone whine about how "complicated" AN is, and it's not even true they just don't want to try to understand anything, or someone tries to claim that Miracle Grow or some crap is "just as good" because you can grow plants with it, I realize they just don't understand this drive at all.

It's not merely "can we grow plants" using such-and-such.

It's "how can we grow better plants". What's the next step, how do we go further, bigger, denser, and so on.

If I wanted to simply "grow plants" I'd get a ton of decent but not awesome seed, I'd spread it around a few different places guerrilla-style, and I'd let nature do all the work. Quantity over quality.

That's not me. I'll look for ways to push the envelope that don't even really improve the yield. I'd like to experiment with seeing how much shorter I can keep my plants without sacrificing weight. I'm not a full-on mad scientist though, there's plenty of "close enough" in my growing where I don't see the extra effort (or nutrients) being worth the increase I might see in yield, but the underlying drive to push for more is there.

And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a different motivation, either. If you're a lot more laid back and aren't driven to see how much improvement you can wring out of your grows that's cool. If everyone is personally happy with their personal growing that's great!

I just wish the haters would accept that it's okay not to want to grow the way they want to grow.

10. ROTFLMFAO

Not sure I understand the out of the blue attack on me... But OK, I'm game.... :devious:

Seems out of over 200 posts, we have YET to see you post anything other than mostly rude comments in
    Advanced Nutrients threads...

Are you a rep for AN or just obsessed with Big Mike's mouth, and ass????? :D
    The REAL sad thing I can clearly see, which I'm sure others see as well, you have NO CLUE about nutrients other than what's printed on the label, nor do you seem to even understand the cannabis plant in general....

I would suggest you maybe take some advise from experienced growers and not try to be such a "I KNOW IT ALL"....

If you can overcome your toxic personality, your comments here may become less hostile and rude to people simply trying to help others from real experiences which seem that I can back up with MANY IMAGES of grow results, that you seem to have NEVER done (thus far anyway).......

My father always told me, "the proof is ALWAYS in the pudding son"....
    In other words, what he meant was, people should put up and back up their mouth, or just STFU....

:wave:

11. [quote name='"Aeroherbs"']

I just wish the haters would accept that it's okay not to want to grow the way they want to grow.

[/quote]

I'm confused or Super High, cuz I did not get this comment. Would you care to explain ? Who are the haters ? and hating what ?

12. I'm confused too...
    Thread was not posted to within the past 17 days then this Aeroherbs out of the blue calls me a whiner simply
    for speaking the truth???

WTF EVER....
    Go through and look at his 200+ posts, might (as I did) get a LOL for the day.... :D

13. I took your advice... I went and looked at his postings...

funny thing was earlier I rep'ed him for his awesome post and now after looking at his blinding focus I can clearly see what you were talking about... aero only posts in threads with AN.... its like his lifes mission to preach AN.... I also don't see how you can talk about GMB when clearly he posted that he only uses Sensi.... its like the same thing but not really ... he also posted he does not use PH perfect... or he didn't... hard to read threw the lines...

good catch Jake... bummer that I rep'ed him earlier, wish I hadn't... feels shady now

14. Dude get you a tds and meter and print out there feeding chart on website.

Feed to around 1100-1400 and if see burning on tips ... Cut back g money!!!!!!

15. Sigh.

Really folks? Don't we have more to do than to simply try to read old posts? That isn't going to help the original poster.

Thanks sippin for getting back to the point.

16. There's a reason the attack on you doesn't make sense. It never happened.

Scroll up and look at my previous post. I gave you a pretty awesome compliment I think.

I wasn't attacking you, everything I said was agreeing with you.

I cannot figure out how anyone could think differently. I've never been anything but nice to you, and not just on this forum. I don't expect everyone to remember me but I've been following your grows for quite some time, including the ones you rage-quit on from other forums. I posted on your videos before you took those down too. I am (perhaps was, now) a fan.

When someone quotes you and writes "THIS" under it that means they're agreeing wholeheartedly.

I'm sorry if my attempt to agree with you was misinterpreted. If you prefer I'll try to avoid agreeing with you in the future but the honest truth is that I think you're one of the best growers out there.

Like I said, it's not like I was under the impression that we were friends or anything, but I had thought we'd talked enough on your grow journals that you might have remembered me, and remembered that I've never once had an unkind word for you. If you had I might have gotten the benefit of the doubt when you mistook my praise for criticism.

Whatever dude, I was sincerely trying to be nice but I guess I got put in my place.

17. Sphagnum Moss & Soil: 2ml per 1 Litre of water for every watering.

Hydroponics: 1.25 - 2.50ml per 1 Litre (1/4 - 1/2 tsp per 1 quart)

18. I have been using been using Advanced Sensi for the past 2 years. I can tell me my own experience in ratio.

I use 1/4 for one week

1/2 for 3 weeks

3/4 for the remainder part of the cycle

Full Strength is a dream with me and I really do not care. Because I know the nutrients will last me a lifetime using it this way. However; the times I toy with FULL STRENGTH, I get burned.

19. Advanced nutrients emailed me telling me I can buy their complete line of nutrients and if I am unhappy, I can return them for a full refund even if there is 20% left in the bottle.

Has anyone tried this and been turned down by the store owner? They gave me the name and email of a store that carries their nutes but I wanted to get some insight first.

Also, I'm looking to use the least amount of nutes possible. Right now I use ff tiger and grow along with molasses. Does anyone have a sweet spot so to speak with minimal AN nutes? This is for veg and flowering.

Also to the guy that loves great white. If you email them, they will send free samples of it to your house if you tell them you want to try. I got two samples from them and that on the way ATM.