Advanced Nutrients Question(s)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by closetgrassman, Aug 13, 2012.

1. [quote name='"donkiez"']Sounds like a good plan, some of the AN products are more advertising than results IMO. Im a bang for my buck guy so you gotta just play around with what you think is important. That being said I still use a lot of their additives, depending on my budget, because there is at least some benifit to them all.

One other suggestion is to try coco instead of soil. I use the advance #4 mix and love it. Coco is technically a hydro but its treated like soil for the most part. Water like soil but dont let it dry out.. It doesnt shrink over time, seems to be better vs bugs, and is not pre fertilized so you wont burn or under feed in the beginning. One trick with coco is to make sure you have a cal mag booster as it seems to leach those from nutes.[/quote]

Advance #4? Like Sunshine Advance #4? If so, that's not coco. It has coco in it, but not completely coco.

2. Sounds cool, but I think I am going to go with 5 gallon air pots and fox farm light warrior and possibly mixing in some ocean forest since I have an untouched bag of that, I tried using it in past grows but was always too hot for me at least :/

3. [quote name='"closetgrassman"']Sounds cool, but I think I am going to go with 5 gallon air pots and fox farm light warrior and possibly mixing in some ocean forest since I have an untouched bag of that, I tried using it in past grows but was always too hot for me at least :/[/quote]

Ocean Forrest is way to hot to start in. Put a nice mix of both at the bottom of the pot, and just the light warrior at the top (if your planning on not transplanting). It will work just fine for ya.

4. I've never had a problem burning them in FFOF even as a tiny seedling.

5. [quote name='"PassivePlatinum"']I've never had a problem burning them in FFOF even as a tiny seedling.[/quote]

You sir, are lucky and rare!

6. Yeah, that's kinda what I do.

I use the Bigger Yields Expert Grower Bundle - Sensi A&B, Voodoo Juice, Big Bud, B-52, Overdrive, Piranha, Bud Candy, Overdrive

7. A couple things here. First up your Organic B-1 and Rhino Skin work equally well in veg and bloom.

Second, I'd say either use Big Bud and Overdrive OR Nirvana. Nirvana is a bud booster just like Big Bud and Overdrive are but it's organic. Personally I'd say just keep the Nirvana for later in case you want to do an organic grow. Hammerhead is also a PK booster (bloom booster) so I wouldn't recommend stacking it up with Big Bud and Overdrive. It's always smart to start out using as few things as you can since every bottle you add is just another thing to make it harder to figure out what you're doing wrong if things don't go well.

As you can see from the replies there's a difference of opinion on what "essential" means. Can you grow hydroponically without base nutrients? Nope. Those are essential. If you don't have soil, you gotta have base nutes. Everything else is non-essential for growing, but you added "for producing the best quality medicine." Again, that's going to mean different things for different people.

Personally I would say that the bare minimum for respectable quality (something I wouldn't be ashamed to admit I grew) would be base nutrients and Big Bud. I personally like the convenience of the pH Perfect line so I use those base nutrients and I recommend getting the first bundle, the Hobbyist one, because it helps stabilize the base nutrients and does give a nice boost in yield and quality. I can personally vouch for the Expert Bundle also being worthwhile but your first grow it's not a great idea. Same thing - less is more when you're starting out. Keep it simple, build your skills.

Beyond that there's two more bundles if you really want to shell out and chase the "uber grow". Whether that's worth it is another of those value judgements people have different opinions on. I think they're great but TBH I gravitate to the Expert level's bang-to-buck ratio.

Same concept, yes. The formulas are probably different and AN has a reputation for chelating more than pretty much anyone else does. That said I haven't run into any calcium deficiencies growing with AN so I wouldn't buy it unless I needed it.

All you absolutely need are the base nutrients. So if you have those you have "enough". Above that keep it simple. Fewer bottles = less to screw up and less to worry about if something goes wrong. After you have a grow or two under your belt with a particular nutrient you can get more complex if you want.

Everyone has a different idea of what is "good enough" for growing and what is "too hard/complex". Just find where you want to be and be there.