Advanced nutrients in coco help???

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by PolarBeargrower, Oct 30, 2011.

1. I started with pet store and switched to cocotek for a bed and back to pet store for another recent transplant , its dirty as all fuck but with a good rinse ive had no problems thus far. Im in the"its always the growers fault" camp though, cannabis, atleast in my experience, has been hard to kill regardless of what you so to it. In closing, as long its properly rinsed, Id be hard presses to blame it on the coco.

2. Thats just not true at all because hightimes recommends advanced nutrients and many others use it for the purpose to grow medical marijuana and if it is harmful to the plants in any way it would never be used. many people use AN nutes for foliar spray on medical plants which would be harmful to the patient

3. hey man, i'm really sorry for your patients (if any). taste's good? nutrient is for growing medicine for pain relief - not harvesting an 'extra ounce.' too bad you tried all the so called 'top brands'; it's all garbage -i've smoked correctly grown AN 'master gardener' weed - NEVER again. way to chemically ruin potentially good genetics.

you are damn straight. jhill883 and polarbear, i hope by now you've realized Advanced Nutrients ''science'' is a bunch of marketing jargon to brainwash and stone your mind while pushing cheap garbage toxins on you. I trust the Erth not a chinese chemicals plant.

well stated, coco also throws less (if any) monkey wrenches when it's amended with humus and responds well to many different treatments this way. I am not yet sure how it plays out in the long run as far as decomposition but i am sure it's fine, worms love it because it's so airy, so why not?

i'm glad you got it. By now you must have smoked AN nutrient and know it's harmful. I would urge you to smoke some ALL organic (excludes FF, AN half assed organic product) weed, I am sure it will help suppress the toxins you've ingested thanks to AN

4. The biggest thing to take into account with coco is it's penchant for Ca. It absorbs it into it's cation straight away so it's a good idea to charge the coco with something like calmag when you first hydrate it. Once the cation bank is full, the calmag isn't necessary as the plant will feed off of the bank while it finishes flowering. At that point (depending on your nutrient program) a pinch of epsom salts is all that is necessary to keep them happy.

There may be some cheaper brands out the that aren't flushed and need to be drained of their salts from the initial processing, but i haven't had that issue using cocotek. I don't have any ph buffering problems, it drains like a champ, doesn't sink and compress the roots, and my roots are happy as shit. There are tons of people both here and on other forums who have had no complaints as you have had; to each his own.

5. High Times recommends it because AN pays them a shitload of money to advertise for them. The reason their product is so expensive is because they spend a buttload of money advertising their snake oil BS. Fancy labels and four different products just to flower a cannabis plant is hilarious.... try providing a balanced diet instead of having to run out and buy 9 different jugs of stuff that could fit into two containers if it weren't for trying to sell more product and have at it.

It's one thing to have a two or even three part system in order to kick back on N in mid to late flower and up the K, but holy crap do they milk the system. The only thing that is really necessary to leave out of the other products would be the rhino skin as the silica will fall out of suspension in high concentrations and extreme ph. i'd rather go with protekt as it has far more silica as well as a boost in K which is always nice for mid to late flower. No need to refer yourself to a half dozen different "bloom enhancers" for different stages of flower.... just balance the system on your own and keep your money.

AN aren't the only culprits.... there is a product out there by a major manufacturer meant to "Clear" your medium.... it consists of sugar (glucose and sucrose) and water. Pretty much what you would use if you were made of money and wanted to make an expensive batch of Kool Aid. When asked why they sold such a product the answer the rep gave was "because they asked for it". lol.

By all means... keep sending AN your money. They love it. On the other hand you could give me the money and i'll hand you some Jack's Pro, Dyna Gro or even GH micro/bloom and kick you in the junk and spend the profits on bourbon. I love bourbon.

6. #26 hope2toke, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2011
    ^^^^^

Yeah, glad you know the hydro business. about a year and a half ago I was the very customer who ''asked for it.'' I still have some synthetic gunk lying around somewhere, what I couldn't sell off to the eager respondents on craigslist. Then, I knew next to nothing of gardening and was asking the hydro store dudes for information. Some how I made the transition from using Potanicare, Gumboldt, Clonex (LMFAO) and now I see the reason its worth keeping it all organic.

but i'm sure you'll continue drinking your bourbon I guess, HA, and some suckers will still be stuck with the Jacks, Dyna Grow, and GH. Too bad for them. I am actually kind of a sucker myself, It's kind of amazing that i'm not still growing chemically. I think what happened is I realized (well, at least i smoked) hemp, saw it as a part of nature, that's wild and does not require synthetics in the least for full performance.

so to hell with the cannabis cup, barney's farm, green house, and the hydro industry. A bunch of goons profiting off people who dont know better. I only take solace in the knowledge that some countries have actually banned any of these types of people from gaining access to their territory, let alone its wild nature, which remains unravaged and waiting for a better day.

A day where people see the land and scoff at dolomite lime and epsom salt, the epitome's of a cheap solution for de-mineralization, the result of a century of chemical agriculture. not to suggest it doesn't work, but that it's marked up absurdly, and there are far superior sources of ca/mg, iron zinc copper etc, easily available for less

7. Woooooow!!!! you guys really really have nothing better to do because your too busy complaining about the price of the best nutes on the market you have no evidence what so ever to back up anything that your saying negativly about AN nutes you have never smoked master AN grown bud becasue cleary you had a bad experience but you are the 30% tht bitch about prices casue you dont wanna pay for the best aka your a bum aka you probably were the kid you smoked mids instead of chronic back in high school so stop complaining about prices because you dont have the money. and yes tgere are easily available products that could ESSENTIALLY do the same thing but if you want to give your plants the best you pay the most. EVER HEARD THE SAYING ..........YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!:smoke:

8. #28 wesside, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
    You don't have to spend the most money to grow the best weed, you have to KNOW HOW TO GROW to have the best.

9. the more people that fall into the snake oil trap the better it is for the rest of us.... keeps the demand and price of quality balanced food low so i can spend my money elsewhere. i'd be willing to bet the majority of the people that fill their cupboard with bottle after bottle of unbalanced BS have no idea what they are putting into their water and are happy to blindly follow the instructions from a company whose sole purpose is to keep you coming back for countless supplements and "boosters". my favorite is the sugar water sold as a "clearing" solution.... lol.

10. Well the plants react very well stay very healthy on this so called snake oil. And i give my plants whatever makes them happy so...... ya

11. i'm glad it works for ya.... i'm also glad that i don't need to use bottle after bottle after bottle of overpriced fertilizer to achieve fantastic results.

do you even know *why* you add what you do or are you just blindly following the fancy label on the bottle that tells you that you need A+B+C+D+E+F+G+H = BIG BUDS?!?!?! I love their "perfect ph" marketing scheme too.... "you must use the entire line or we can't guarantee anything".... lol.

nutrient companies and used car salesmen love people like you.

12. #32 piratechefny, Dec 26, 2011
    Here's something to chew on.....

AN Rhino Skin $95.49 per 4L. @ The Hydro Source

0.1% Silicone 0.4% Potash

Dyna-Gro Pro-Tekt $25.92 per G. @ The Horticulture Source

7.8% Silicone 3.7% Potash

DG's product is nearly one quarter of the price, has 78 times the amount of Si, and 9.25 times as much K. Pro-Tekt gives you a useable amount of Si plus the boost in K you need during flowering. Ya... keep spending your money on AN's fancy pants amendments.

13. #33 piratechefny, Dec 26, 2011
    Here's another good one....

Organic Wet Betty $115.48 per 4L @ Hydroponics Market

0.06% Saponin 0.15% Yucca Extract

Wet Betty $90.25 per 4L @ The Hydro Source

1% Potash 1.25% Alkyl Phenol Ethoxylate

Saponin from the Yucca acts as a surfactant, or wetting agent. When foliar feeding it helps disperse the water/nute mix so that it covers that whole leaf instead of forming droplets. It also aids those whose soil is compacted or who haven't figured out not to pour the nute mix on slowly enough.

But WAIT! Synthetic surfactants (Alkylphenol Ethoxylate) are also found in a common household product we use every day. Drumroll....... dish soap. Yep; a drop of good old palmolive dish soap in with your mix acts as a fantastic surfactant. (avoid those containing anything from the mint family as MJ hates it; the plain old stuff is the best).

So ya.... for two bucks you have enough wetting agent to last you years and years.

Snake Oil indeed.

14. #34 piratechefny, Dec 26, 2011
    Yet another great product.... lol.

Revive $101.57 per 4L @ The Hydro Source

1%N 1%Ca .5% Mg .3% Fe

Aside from the increase in Fe, it's basically a watered down version of CalMg+ which sells for nearly one quarter the price.

But hey at least they have a multi million dollar ad campaign that paid High Times to push their product.

Outstanding!

15. Just so no one gets a bee in their bonnet over the pointing out of some of AN's products which are either overpriced or plain hogwash, here's one from botanicaire:

Clearex $21.17 @ The Hydro Source

3% Glucose 1.5% Sucrose

20 bucks for sugar water. nuff said.

A fellow grower contacted a rep for Botanicaire and asked why they carried such a product and was told the demand was there so they supplied.

Many of these companies do offer some good products.... but there are a lot of BS additives and those that are nothing but fancy labeled versions of stuff that anyone that isn't in a hurry to be "sold" can find. I don't need a fast talking salesman in a hydro store or high priced ad campaigns to tell me what a cannabis plant needs for proper nutrition. Do the research and grow some fantastic herb while saving yourself a few bucks.

16. Funny i dont use any of the ones you listed and you already told us that about the sugar water and i also dont you use that so stop jacking peoples forums

17. I like how he actually makes arguments that contradict each other. On the one hand he's saying that you shouldn't fall for the "more is better" line of thinking by buying lots of bottles. Okay, fair enough. Anyone who doesn't know enough to know for certain what they do and don't need should definitely buy fewer rather than more bottles.

But then he completely reverses the argument by saying Brand A has less % of whatever than Brand B. It doesn't work both ways. More isn't better.

It's all about the RIGHT AMOUNT. If you don't have the right amount of nutrients in the RIGHT RATIOS it doesn't matter whether two brands have different concentrations or prices or anything else.

And that's not even getting into the whole argument about how STUPID it is to argue based on what's on the labels.

If you don't account for the source chemical salts used to create those numbers it's basically meaningless. Is that zinc a water soluble form or is it a solid pellet at the bottom of the bottle. Assuming it's water soluble, HOW SOLUBLE? Because it matters and there are generally dozens if not more different ways to get EVERY individual macro and micro-nutrient into a water solution. Some are better than others. Some are wholly and entirely useless. You can give a plant plenty of urea-based nitrogen but if you don't process it beforehand, or ensure the natural microbials found in the soil web are present, the plants simply will not be able to absorb and use that nitrogen.

It's like reading the ingredients on your food. You cannot intelligently think you know stuff about how to make bread simply because you looked on the sack the loaf came in and read off the ingredients.

In fact, comparing labels on human food is actually more useful because of all the regulation over what they can and can't put in there and what the labels have to reflect. There's regulation on fertilizers, but there's absolutely no attention paid to whether the nutrient content the tests indicate actually translates to a bio-available nutrient plants can use.

18. YOur Shityy at growing:smoke:

19. Polar bear WTF are you talking about? do you really believe that buying advance nutrients makes you a great grower? That you're growing better dank than George Washington because Advanced nutrients wasn't available then? Pull your head out of the ground. Or at least open your eyes down in there. It's what I try to do.

20. I agree that AN has a bunch of over-priced, unnecessary BS on the market, but I do like the Iguana Juice two part organic formula. It's simple to use and I have had nothing but great results from it. I pay 30 dollars for a liter of each which makes a total of 140 gallons. There may be cheaper stuff out there but i really can't bitch about that price. And who cares what other people think about it if it works for you. Whatever floats your boat man!