Advanced Nutrients help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MiMedthumb, May 9, 2012.

1. Hello, So I have been reading from some pro's that use AN nutes, they say to use them at half strength because they are prone to burn if used as directed. My question is, do you use just the base nutes at half strength or all the extra additives as well? Thanks

2. I use advance nutrients.
    I personally don't follow the bottle. Some strains can take a smack and get fed full throttle from the start. What I suggest you do is find your own feeding schedule.
    Grab 3 plants or how ever many you want.
    Label each 1,2,3,4 etc etc etc. grab yourself a pen and paper and take notes..
    Use different ml on each plant till you find what works best for you.
    My suggestion is you start with an easier line of nutrients if your a begging in growing.
    Fox farm would be your best bet... Peace

3. I tend to use Advanced Nutrients at about 25% less than the bottle says. And then I crank it up to the full strength if the plants are looking good.

I don't think that AN is prone to burn, but they are super strong nutrients that some plants can't take at first. Start slow and easy...

4. I start out at like 1/3 strength and go up with each feeding as long as no burn.

5. i've found it to be pretty strain dependant.
    some can take it full strength, others not so much.
    i start off @ 1/4 dose, and work my way up from there.

6. There is nothing wrong with AN, however, I always try to steer the new grower (IDK if you are new or not) AWAY from AN.

The reason is AN just has too many products and their lines are confusing. With all of the different and good nute lines out there why go this direction?

My advice is to choose one of the better known brands at first and check out their web site. If they have really good support on-line, such as a nutrient calculator that include multiple factors such as the ppm of tap water, then go for it.

Backing off on the nutes at the start and then increasing is something many people do with a lot of different brands.

7. I agree and disagree. While there are many products in AN's catalog, and that can confuse newbies, if you're steering a new grower you can just as easily steer them to the right AN products as you can to the right whatever else products.

I mean if you're making recommendations anyway, why not just recommend a simple few things from AN?

In fact, I actually do recommend AN to people that ask me for advice. I don't generally go around trying to find people to convince or anything but if someone asks me IRL or here what I'd recommend I'm most likely going to point them toward something from AN. The big reason for that, especially when we're talking about new growers, is the pH Perfect nutrients they have now.

I mean think about it, we were all new growers once. Hopefully we all remember trying to learn as we were going, checking the lights, the plants, every little detail and trying to make sure nothing was out of place or forgotten. It can be overwhelming. So if you can start off with a nutrient that's nearly impossible to mess up, that's one less thing for the new guy to worry about.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not telling any newbs (or anyone else for that matter) to go out and buy the whole line or anything. IMHO a new grower should be just getting the base nutrients, like say the Sensi 2 part, and maybe what they call the Hobbyist bundle. And even then I'm hesitant to recommend it since it's four more things to deal with. The only reason I do is because it really helps stabilize the nutes, and when I'm giving advice to newbies my main focus is doing whatever I can to make sure that they don't have problems.

This gives them one less thing they have to worry about. Personally, I think it's worth it.

8. Yeah, I hear what your saying. My question is why not recommend a line that is much easier?

9. Every brand of nutrients is going to require the grower to go beyond simply taking the feeding rate on the bottle as gospel. No one can grow your plants but you, and each grower has to do the work themselves.

That said, there isn't a line that does more to reduce the work a new grower has to put into their feeding. Look at the pH Perfect line. You can't get any simpler than that if you're growing hydroponically. Mix the nutes, done. You don't have to mess with pH and as long as you start out light with your young plants and work your way up as they grow, you don't really have to mess with the ppm.

It works perfectly well with just the base nutrients and if you want to add more it's bundled into 3-4 bottle packages that make expansion simple. You can literally tell a new grower "go to the store, buy the Sensi 2-part base nutrients in grow and bloom, and if you want to buy the Hobbyist bundle". That's what, eight bottles if they get everything? Four if they just get the base nutes. And that's for nutes they can't really screw up the pH of.

You can't get much simpler than that, really.

10. Dude play with it till u see minor burin on tips---- usually around 1100- 1250. Dont go past 1400!!!!

11. Sorry I was gone for a while. I got evacuated in one of the Colorado fires.

Your advice is spot on. You can only give this advice if you have experience growing.

My point is, most growers, when starting out, don't know who or what to ask. I have seen so many new growers with jugs and jugs of AN, some of the products were the same thing and not needed. Why, because AN is so hard to figure out for the new grower - unless - they get good advice from someone like your self.

In my experiences, that is rare. Most grow shops just want to sell you as much as they can.