Advanced Nutrients Connoisseur Combo Supplements?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mashiro, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Okay, I've figured out that I definitely want to use the Connoisseur Combo for my base nutrients. But I still haven't figured out what supplements I want to use. Any help or suggestions?

If you've used the Connoisseur Combo post pics of what you grew! Also list what supplements you used!

2. I dont use Connoisseur..use Sensi Grow Bloom A/B. Supplements I use are Botanicare Cal-Mag, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud and Bud Candy.

3. I've heard of Bud Candy. What does it do for your grows?

4. About the same as molasses which is way cheaper. It also has some added things. I only got it since place I got it at was having a close out on it. Seems to work well at least in my opinion.

5. [quote name='"Mashiro"']Okay, I've figured out that I definitely want to use the Connoisseur Combo for my base nutrients. But I still haven't figured out what supplements I want to use. Any help or suggestions?

If you've used the Connoisseur Combo post pics of what you grew! Also list what supplements you used![/quote]

Mashiro, keep in mind that the Connoisseur Part A & B is only for your flowering stage. For your vegetative stage you should use Sensi A & B. I messed up and used the Connoisseur for veg. I switched to the Sensi after I found out the mistake I made. So far they have made up for lost time. Good luck

6. Thanks, I didn't even realize that!

:eek:

7. No problem. I'm on my first grow and I bought all the nutrients in the Hobbyist kit. They seem to be working really well. After I get the feeding system perfected I plan on moving up to the Expert kit and so on. Keep it simple & good luck.

8. Dam didnt realize that either for some odd reason. I just restocked on nutes to I woulda gotten Connoisseur rather then sensi bloom. Oh well next time!

9. So today I went back to the hydro store and the other owner that misinformed me about using the Conniosseur for veg was there. He felt so bad about our last disagreement so he gave me a free 500mL of VooDoo juice and Tarantula. That dude definitely earned some browney points.

10. That rocks dude. Good customer service.

11. Yes, I'd definitely recommend the AN pH Perfect® technology bundles. Hobbyist is awesome.

Sensi Grow and Bloom A&B
    Voodoo Juice
    Big Bud
    B-52
    Overdrive

ANd yes, Bud CAndy is a necessity too, even if it's not in the kit....it should be.

good luck!!!!!

12. Call them up. The number is on the side of the bottle. I've used the Sensi Bloom A/B kit before and called them up several times. The people are cool. They'll help you with the math and give you tips. Like if you decide you want to foiler feed, they'll tell you how you should dilute your mix and what not. Good people and good product. Just over priced and hyped IMO.

13. #14 basementhydro, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
    I second the Hobbyist bundle and their tech support people being cool.

They've imparted quite a few neat little tips and tricks I've used over the years.

Also, from what I've heard in their latest video it seems that there might be some breaks in their pricing coming down the pipe before long...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v-GDBXivWE]AN's Big Mike and Remo Enjoy Buds at Spannabis 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

He talks about it at around 8:30 in.

EDIT - actually this one is the one that has what I was thinking about.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytIR-JKdZGA[/ame]

around 6:50 onward

14. Yeah, I'd use the Hobbyist bundle too.

I like Sensi, but I've heard great things about Conni too.

15. Heard good things as well. I dont believe Connoisseur is for grow stage...just bloom. When my Bloom Sensi runs out switching.

16. That's correct, Conni is a bloom base. Most people use Sensi Grow for veg if they're gonna run Conni in flowering.

Oh and as far as Bud Candy being "about the same as molasses which is way cheaper", sure, it's vaguely similar. Both are ways to get your plants carbs and influence the final flavor. The difference is that one of them (molasses) is extremely inconsistent batch to batch because there is absolutely no importance to have specific ratios of specific carbohydrates in it. No one cares about little things like that in molasses because for human (or other mammal) consumption it makes no difference. We're highly adapted to break down nearly any plant carbohydrate we encounter.

Plants, however, require specific carbs in specific ratios to really maximize their growth potential. (Humans actually do too, but since molasses isn't a major part of our diet no one cares how well-suited it is to maximizing our health.)

Bud Candy is specifically formulated for our plants, to give them exactly what they need and none of the stuff they don't. It's also formulated specifically for hydroponics, while molasses is not. If you've ever used molasses in hydroponics you're probably familiar with the nightmare slime mold that frequently results from that. It only took one time for me to swear off molasses forever. Holy crap, I was cleaning for hours and hours trying to get rid of all that nasty snot. Blech.

So yeah, molasses is cheaper. But no amount of saving money up front makes up for the difference come harvest (especially if you get a microbial bloom and lose the whole crop because you "saved" money buying molasses.)

17. Bud Candy is sugar + amino acids. The sugar is useful if your trying to feed beneficial microbes, but if your using a synthetic line high in nitrates, chances are your killing off your microbes faster than your replenishing them. The carbs will do the most good in an organic setup where the soil is alive. Organics are generally best done in the ground and synthetics tend to do better in closed systems like containers and hydroponics setups.

Now the amino acids, these are like little multivitamins and they're supposed to help the plants overall immune system. H&G charges $70 for their amino supplement. AN charges $30. X Nutrients has a product called Amino Blast that rivals H&G for only $12.

But here's the thing, neither sugar or amino acids been proven to improve the taste or yield of any plant, let alone cannabis. They're becoming really popular in cannabis growing communities because of how they're marketed. At the very least we know they don't hurt and there is anecdotal evidence to suggest they have offer slight positive benefits, but right now their prices are so high that its hard to justify using them unless your the type that goes throwing in a dozen of things and spends $200 per grow. So if you have money to burn, have at it, but in my opinion you don't need it.

18. Just to be completely clear here for those who haven't done any organic chem, "sugars" refers to a particular type of carbohydrate.

Saying amino acids are like multivitamins is like saying food is like multivitamins. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, which are the building blocks of cells. (Not to be confused with the dietary classification of protein.) So all living things are build of one or more cells, which are built out of proteins, which are built out of amino acids.

Vitamins are organic compounds required as a vital nutrient in tiny amounts by an organism. They are not, and are not made of, amino acids. Since plants do benefit from being given actual vitamins, and they benefit from being given amino acids, and both are different things it's not really helpful to say one is like the other.

Carbohydrates aren't amino acids or vitamins, they're macromolecules (just like the name implies, really big molecules).

Not every living thing needs every kind of amino acid, carb, or vitamin. And the ones they do need they need in particular proportions depending on the particular kind of life you're talking about. So it stands to reason that a $30 bottle of a correct blend would naturally be more desirable than a $12 bottle of a who-knows-what-it's-designed-for blend.

I don't know enough about the science of "flavor enhancing" to argue that point using science. All I can say is that as someone who has a great many grows under his belt there is a very clear and identifiable difference between a plant grown on Bud Candy (or its predecessor, Sweet Leaf) and one that isn't. Hell, even the people who hate AN for a living don't deny that.

The only way to say that Bud Candy doesn't change the flavor of your buds is to not actually know any better.

19. Just get some liquid karma it has everything in it and pro-tekt for silicon

Liquid Karma™ contains the following amino acids; glycine, alanine, valine, leucine, isoleucine, sereine, threonine,apartic acid, glutamic acid, aspargine, glutamine, lysine, arginine, histidine, cysteine, cystine, methionine, proline, phenylalanine, tyrosine, and tryptophan. Vitamins; riboflavin, thiamine, pyridoxine, ascorbic acid, and a full array of other water soluble vitamins. Carbohydrates; sucrose, fructose, cellulose. Phytohormones; Indole-3-acetic acid, trans-6-(4-hydroxy-3-methybut-2-enyl) amino purine. hydrolysate, soy protein hydrolysate, fermented yeast extract, aqueous extracts of etiolated wheat coleoptiles, and Zea mays, aloe vera extract, yucca extract, humic acid, fulvic acid, and kelp seaweed extract.