Adding spent coffee grounds to soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Creed Bratton, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Hey all, was just wondering if adding used coffee grounds to soil would benefit my plants at all when I transplant them to 5 gallon cloth pots out of their solo cups. I'm also doing my first mushroom grow right now (psilocybe cubensis, Amazon), and for the bulk tek I'm using, my bulk substrate will be coco coir mixed with spent coffee grounds in 6 quart tubs to provide nutrients for the mycelium (still waiting for spawnjars to colonize rightnow). So would the coffee benefit plants too, or is the coffee special for fungi because they might be able to use it better?

2. “Fresh coffee grounds are acidic. Used coffee grounds are neutral.” If you rinse your used coffee grounds, they will have a near neutral pH of 6.5 and will not affect the acid levels of the soil. To use coffee grounds as fertilizer, work the coffee grounds into the soil around your plants."-
    Pulled this offline. Looks like it won't hurt your plants, but I don't see it helping too much? Let us know how it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Trez Risky!

IMO Avoid

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks for that, if I decide to try it I 'll let you know.

5. Coffee grounds are great - providing you compost them first. Added directly to your soil they'll turn your soil acidic.

VOE.

J