Adding Lime To Coco?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Nissty, Oct 25, 2010.

1. My question is, should I use pelletized lime in my coco/perlite mix or can I use a powdered lime such as this? Sunleaves Soil Sweetener...
    I already have a bag of this and would like to use it if I can. I'm just wondering if it would easily wash out of the coco, since its a very fine powder. I've used it on soil grows and always need to add more about 4 weeks in. if I must use pelletized what kind do I buy, hydrated or normal, and where do I get it? Thanks

2. I use the powder. I hear the pellets can release way too long but that was hearsay. Powders been workin great for me so let me know how it goes! :hello::hello:

3. I went ahead and bought some epsoma garden lime. Its pelletized but the pellets are very small. I just figured it would stay suspended in the coco better and not wash out as easily in run off. I do however still have 2 plants in soil and I seem to need to sprinkle 2-4 tbsp of the powdered stuff on the top to keep my ph somewhat in check, this is in addition to adding 3-4 to the mix originally. Soil has to many ph issues thats why i'm moving to coco completely when these next two in soil finish.

4. I have been using the espoma garden lime for soil, but was also wondering if it would be sufficient for coco. Its has mag and cal in it along with some other things. It also raises the ph, but so does all lime, right? All should be good as long as the water is ph'd I assume.

5. I went with pelletized lime as well. Ed had no problems with it. So far, I am not having any issues with my first coco grow. I used 2tbs/gallon of coco.

6. Pellets are better! the dust releases way too quick. You're golden.

7. You can find pellet size epsoma lime at home depot for $4 a 5lbs bag. look into it man!

8. epsoma is a smaller pellet but it shouldn't wash out to easily.

9. I'm going to use Espoma's Organic garden lime. It's says on the back that it's the finest grade of pelletized dolomitic limestone and says it's "easily spread, reacts quick, and doesn't pose the hazards of hydrated lime". I don't know if this is what you are using, but I'll keep an update. Should I still be supplementing with some calmag too along side the gardening lime? Any reply would be appreciated.

10. #10 PuRe CaNNaBLiSS, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2015
    I like to check my cocos pH weekly. Coco has a less stable pH than other growing mediums and the stability varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. The pH of coco drops (more acid) during hours of nutrient uptake, which is primarily during the hours of light. As nutes are absorbed, hydrogen ions are released, lowering the pH of your coco. The opposite happens during hours of darkness due to the release of hydroxide ions, which makes your coco more basic. When it really matters is during your hours of light when nutrient uptake is in high gear. Get a pH probe and probe the bottom 1\\3 of the pot. The majority of your roots are there, which is where the majority of uptake occurs. You want your pH to ideally be 5.8-6.0 in this region to maximize your growth. Also, the average pH of your coco will rise over time. By the end of a cycle, the pH can be 8.5 or higher. This is why it is crucial to flush you coco thoroughly every 4 weeks, regardless of growth stage. To do this you'll want to flush with RO water and a hearty cal-mag and silica mix. I am running botanicare and flush at 5ml cal-mag per gal and 4 ml of silica blast per gal. This keeps my coco pH in check.

11. Well said Bro. Nice . Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. I use the espoma garden lime when " prechargeing" my new coco for first run.
    I use Veg&bloom
    Or
    Pure blend pro..
    Works for me....