Adding Humidifier to small LED grow tent...problems?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by bockscar, Feb 3, 2016.

1. So....it was recently bought to my attention that humidity, or a lack of it, can cause a wide array of problems.

I have had 3 failed grows so far and have been blaming it on my soil. Even though it may be the soil too, I now know the humidity is also a huge contributing factor. I live in the southwest US desert, and have never really payed attention to humidity since I always saw humidity as being bad cuz it can cause mold, but instead focused on keeping the temps down. I got the temps in a workable range....but in the summer my humidity was usually high 20 to low 30% and now in the winter its been at 16%.

I got seedlings that aren't doing shit, and I need to have a successful grow asap. I have tried a few quick "ghetto" solutions that only raised my humidity to 22% for a day or so. I added 4 cups of water, 2 with towels hanging out of them hoping for some wicking action. This is not a solid, or workable fix since that takes up a lot of space and won't fit in my 2x2 tent.

So, now I'm figuring a small cool mist humidifier is my only option to really get moisture in the air. BUT....im running a California Lightworks SolarFlare LED. Since the LEDs have a cooling fan on them I'm wondering wether moisture can sneak into the LED's and ruin the lighting/electricity in the light?

Its a very small 2x2 tent and space is at a premium. Im planning to somehow rig the humidifier hanging in the tent instead of having it on the floor. So I'm wondering if I have anything to worry about if I hang the humidifier above or at a similar level to where the light is hanging?

2. Hello there, I just got done tweaking my grow/veg/clone /seedling cabinet to work for primarily seedlings and clones, which meant adding a small cool mist humidifier, seems to be working so far as is is helping to keep the cab at a constant 75' and 58% RH, what kind of soil are you using that you think it ruined 3 grows? Best of luck

Check out my grow report
    https://youtu.be/XrqtYNDulSc

3. I run one of those little white ones you get for when your kid is sick, haven't noticed any corrosion in the tent if its that humid you'll have more problem with your weed than your lights anything over 75% damages buds and resin glands and invites mold and mildew, I personally run about 25-30% all the way through veg and flower.

• Like Like x 1
  4. First, that sucks that you had 3 failed grows, but it can be a challenge.
    I am running LED's and a cool mist humidifier.
    You can add plenty of things in small doses that will indeed help prevent mold and mildew.

You need to make sure you have plenty of ventilation. It doesn't need to run all the time, and it depends on how much you are growing and what stage/phase of growth they are in. In a 2 x 2 x ? grow tent, I can't imagine you would have humidity problems. That is quite small and just moisture from the dirt would be enough.

One of the tricks that works great is a water bottle with a bunch of holes in it, and filled with these water beads, and place in front of where air comes into the room.
    http://www.amazon.com/Water-Pearls-CLEAR-Centerpie...

You can easily wire up your own Temp, Humidity, and light controller.

RH controller-Has outs for Humidifier and Dehumidifying.
    http://www.amazon.com/IMAGE®-Digital-Humidity...

Temp controller - Has outs for Heating and Cooling.
    http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purpose-Temperat...

Sure you can buy a complete set to do the work, but building your own gives you the flexibility to add and change whatever circuit you need, as well as grow with you. No punn intended.

To answer your question, I use a pure guardian cool mist humidifier and just modified the output with a piece of plastic so it doesn't hit my LED's directly and have not had a problem even with 90% humidity :)

Good luck.

5. Just an organic soil mix. Ive got a new mix going that should be good....but I'm pretty sure that the humidity is, and will continue to be an issue.

Which humidifier did you choose?

thats what they have at walmart. those things are just too big for my space. prolly looking at a tabletop type cool mist humidifier.

Im worried about the mist getting into the actual LED ballast and frying it, not so much any corrosion, rust or wear from it. I doubt I can get it to 75% even if i tried lol

I don't remember what my summer humidity was 100% sure...but my humidity is at 16% right now as I type and I have 2 solo cups full of water, as well as 2 24oz styrofoam cups with with washrags in them for some (hopeful) wicking. Doing that I got to 22%...i think I got it to 25% when i sprayed the interior of the tent and plants with water. But now its at 16% with the same set up...so that was an extremely temporary fix.

Im not really worried about mold...beside the mist directly hitting the plants. Im planning to ScrOG...but i can't even get to flower, so I wanna get there before I start worrying about the mist hitting the buds directly.

I totally agree with the not imagining that humidity will be an issue for me in my tent....and thats why i literally never thought about it up until about a week ago. Sucks man. I never worried or even payed attention to it because in all my research i hear people complaining about humidity and mold....but those were usually in flower too once I look back on it with hindsight. I figured as long as I take care of my temps and keep them where they need to be I would be 100% good to produce some great buds.

I really think my environment/geographic location is what it is. Im living in the middle of the desert.....like right in the meat of it!. The closest "green areas" aka places with trees and stuff that doesn't look like moonscape as you drive along the highway is over 2 hours away...and 2 hours north at that. It is really, really dry here. You ever been to Las Vegas? Im not there....but temps and weather is extremely close to what I deal with.

I don't think the water bottles or the other solution will work for me. Even though I haven't tried those exact things, I did add 4 cups of water and it did nothing. It bought my humidity up about 5% but it was for less than a day.

I think my ventilation is ok. i am running an inline fan....and this is actually part of the problem and why the RH stays at 16%. I can get humidity in low 20's with no fan....but temps go to 85+....and once I turn on the fan the RH gets back to 16%.

Ill look into the PureGuardian. Do you have the humidifier above or below the light? Im gonna have to hang my humidifier at some point hopefully....and thats what I worry about because I don't want the mist to find its way into the insides of my LED. I say I'm going to have to hopefully hang it since I figure I can have it on the floor during seedling and early veg....but since I am going to ScrOG I won't be able to have the humidifier going underneath the screen/canopy.

6. I posted a link for the Humidity Control.
    Mine works like this.
    Too much RM, Then Vent outside with dry heat coming into the room, if room is already at temp, then just vent air without heat.
    Not enough RM, Then Turn on Cool Mist Humidifier, If temp drops too much turn on dry heat coming into the room.

Then to complicate things, My heater is connected to a mechanical timer after the controller, so it will not let the heater kick on, which allows the temp to drop at night.

I'm using LED's and I like to have my room asleep while I am.

I grow in organic soil with a 30 to 40% added coco coir and about 15% vermiculite to help with drainage and ease root development. I love fox farms and for nutes, I just make teas and bubble the drainage from my plants as well as some inexpensive bloom food when its time.

Sounds like you know what your doing and besides the humidity are doing well.

Best to you.

7. #7 Boomboom4200, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
    I saw some great stuff on YouTube about homemade humidifiers,I got one of the ones you use when you got a baby or the kid gets sick, did the same , modified it with a piece of plastic so it blows out and around instead of up, and all the stuff is on separate timers, so when the exhaust fan is on the humidifier kicks off, and then the internal ventilation kicks on , I got more timers than lights lol, but it keeps my 2x2x3 homemade starter box at perfect temp and rh

Check out my grow report
    https://youtu.be/XrqtYNDulSc

8. how'd you modify it? any specific pics? I'm gonna order one of amazon because there are not any small ones available locally

9. This is what I do with mine.

Very flexible and can be used to distribute antifungals, miticide, or whatever in your sealed grow room.
    Sure its made for water, but the exact same piezo ceramic element is used for defusing Essential Oils.

This paticular unit puts out a lot fog, been using it hooked up to a humidity controller.
    Recently using to deliver organic pesticides :) Love it.

Enjoy.

Mg.

Attached Files: