Adding green tea bags to water?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by mushroomsatsuji, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Ive been trying to drink more water but I have been messing around with different additives. While I was drinking my afternoon tea today, I thought about all the benefits of green tea and how it could be a great flavoring for my water as well.

Do I need hot water to absorb the EGCG in the tea, or can I just put it right into my bottle?

2. I'm pretty sure you need hot water, but I'm not sure why tbh

Like when people (that I've seen anyway) make iced tea, they use hot water first to steep the tea then cool it down and put it on ice.

3. I love green tea. I drink it at least twice a day. What mushroom suggests is great advice.

4. Just boil some water and steep the green tea in it.

But try this first,

1 green tea packet
    Hot water
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    enough honey for a desirable taste

The vitamin c (ascorbic acid) in apple cider vinegar helps a LOT of the antioxidants from the green tea absorb better. By not adding vitamin c to your green tea you are losing out on about 70% of the antioxidant properties you could be receiving by combining them.

5. it tastes great with some honey and citrus (lemon, lime, orange is my fav,) and yes you have to add the tea to hot water for it to work. the heat extracts the stuff out of the tea, adding tea to cold water is gonna give you wet leaves lol. But i drink way more green tea than i do water, it tastes great either hot or iced

6. #6 bradpitterson, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
    Well Mushroomsatsuji I can say the the tea is one of the best drink to get relaxation. I like to have tea three times a day. I can say that the doctors have proven it that the tea can reduce the chance of skin cancer. It is really taste good even if you take it with the water as well.

7. I forgot to add its for my workouts...

8. I imagine it would help with workouts, but your body also needs pure water that is untouched by caffeine, which dehydrates the system.

9. In order to get the taste of tea, it needs to be brewed withh hot water. I've been picking up that healthy habit myself lately as well, green tea is the bomb :cool:

10. ya you will need hot water for the majority of types of green tea, but there is at least one type of green tea that does not require hot water

Green Sea Anemone

however it's still better with hot water, but this is the gourmet expensive side of green tea

11. I make sun tea, about a gallon of water, 5 green tea bags, 2 mint tea bags Steep in the sun till as dark as you like, then add about 1/4 cup honey.

12. I do have some de-caf green tea, but its only in those k-cup things

13. The amount of caffeine in Green tea is small. If anything it provides a boost to your metabolism and would help with losing weight. It is true that you need plenty of water without caffeine. As other posted, I would imagine that you would need to boil it to enjoy the full benefits. If you use cold water be sure to steep it longer. Thanks for reminding me to grab a cup myself :smoke:

14. If you are looking for a little extra boost that is natural get some ginseng capsules. They sell them at a vitamin store and mixed with an energy drink you'll be good to go. You also won't have to take a shit in the middle of your workout like you with with coffee.