Adding Diffusion to ANY Downstem

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by rheostat, Jan 24, 2013.

1. I'm kinda surprised I've never seen this before. If your homemade (or even professionally made) downstem lacks diffusion, take a screen, wrap it around the end, and secure using either a zip tie, or, if you like to avoid plastic at all cost, a ss-band clamp; they're available near the plumbing in hardware stores - looks like:
    [​IMG]

Done.

Examples (Sorry for the shitty quality, no real camera, using a phone from 2004)...

[​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

demo vid

(also, first thread ever, forgive me if I do something wrong, etc. etc. etc. actually, didn't see the standard "how to do links and shit" sticky, but i didn't look around beyond this sub-forum)

2. neat idea tho dose it make a difference would it be somthing actually worth adding to a home made bong?

3. I've had success with it, won't build anything without it now. I will admit that a slightly thicker mesh would likely work better - with this you get many, many tiny bubbles that tend to re-group with one another. Still a great step up from a bare stem, but yeah, not quite as good as a slit-based diffusion.
    Perhaps I should do a comparison video...

4. you def should man i would be interested i dont ever make home made bongs but this is a really neat idea i wonder if you could figure out a way to use the slits that most hose clamps have you would be set then

5. Definitely trying this.

6. The band clamp looks like it could somehow be turned into a shower head perc.. :smoking:

7. Posted this on reddit, and someone brought up the very good point that if you used it with an un-screened bowl, it'll clog quickly. Thought i'd mention it here. I will hopefully make a better demo/comparison video at some point, atm I don't own a decent camera. might try to borrow my roommate's iphone, but he's out camping... with the waterpipe in question haha

8. you could make a hole it the middle of the screen thats a little larger and it would be able to get most ash through unless it's a really big chunck and you would still get some diffusion

9. true, though perhaps the air would tend to take the path of least resistance and tend to make its way through the big hole? i'm not really sure of the physics of bubbles at that level.

...the physics of bubbles...stoner engineering at its finest :p

10. i think as long as it wasnt like a super slow hit the air would still be some what forced through another thin you could do is get one of those real thick 711 straws and cut slits in it

11. I made one in like 5 minutes out of a king size sharpie and for the bowl I used a cake decorating tip my sister gave me.

Attached Files: