Adding Chiller to Waterfarm

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by WishBone, Mar 16, 2010.

1. I want to add an aquarium chiller to my Waterfarm Recirculating 8 pack. I'm wondering if it can be as simple as inserting it into the return line just ahead of the recirc perculator pump. Will that little rascal pull enough volume through the chiller to cool efficiently, or will I need to add a recirc pump as well?

2. OK, I guess it is up to me to become expert and share my knowledge on this particular subject.

I do learn from my mistakes, so standby...

3. Hey my friend! I have a set up pretty close to what you have described. I added my chiller just before the return to my rez. I have figured out that with my set up if the water runs a bit slower thru the chiller it has the time to actually cool the water down before it returns to the rez. If I were you I would just put the chiller in place just before it returns into the rez. Try that out and see if there is enough flow to actually circulate the water. You really don't want a fast flow of water coming out, just a steady stream. If that doesn't work just add a small pump to circulate the water thru your system. Just remember the faster the water runs thru the chiller the less time the chiller has to cool the water down.

Good Luck!

4. Just stick inline post pump.

Chillers are great.

5. #6 WishBone, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2010
    Thanks guys! I figure about 8gph is the flow rate of the waterfarm perc pump, as it is supposed to turn over the 32 gallon system 6 times a day. I'm gonna do a dry (wet) run with plain water and watch the system for a while before I actually put the plants in it. I have my eye on a chiller, but will wait and see if I really need it. Cheaper than running the a/c unit I am sure.

6. Hello, I'd be really interested in some pics, as I'm about to face the same challenges! Kudos

7. I ordered my chiller -

Current USA 1/15 HP Prime Mini Chiller - Dual Stage

Paid $290.90 shipped to me.

It shipped yesterday. I will design it into the system from the ground up and maybe I'll post some pics of my setup. I haven't decided if that would be wise yet...

8. Well WishBone,

How did the chiller work with a low gph flow?

9. You might consider a low volume pump pulling from the res, through the chiller and dropping back in to the res.

10. Well, I hope the original poster replies with how an 8 gph pump worked to keep things cool. My situation is a 1/2" feed using the ECO66 (@ 60 gph) and dual 3/4" return lines. The concern I have is the listed gph requirements for most coolers are substantially higher than my ECO66 water pump. I figure the slower flow rate will result in cool buckets near the cooler, but 18 buckets away (60 gallons) the temps will be no better than without the cooler. I cannot increase the flowrate of the water pump very much because the water levels quickly get wacky and substantially unlevel. I would appreciate some help.
    Thanks,
    Travis

11. BTW, this is not even necessary. There are titanium coil probe style coolers (not the cheapo 50W plastic one) that will cool large volumes of water. The problem with those is the same as the inline coolers. They state a minimum water flow rate that is substantially higher than what a gravity return rdwc can handle.
    Travis

12. Hence the "Undercurrent" DWC system. It solves these problems. I have a link to the one I built, in my signature.