"Addiction is for the weak-minded"

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Mikeee420, Feb 18, 2010.

1. What are your guys' opinions on this statement?

2. America is addicted to addiction.

3. i actually agree

4. http://sociology.ucsc.edu/directory/reinarman/addiction.pdf

http://dragon.soc.qc.cuny.edu/Staff/levine/The-Discovery-of-Addiction.pdf

5. I wouldn't say it is for the weak minded, but I will say that it takes a lot of will-power to break out of it, cold turkey that is.

6. I agree, you only become addicted because you allowed yourself to be tempted.

7. I think addiction is for people who are succeptable to it depending where they are in their lifes. When depressed I could easily become addicted to drugs, but when i'm not there is no chance.

The thing I could ever be addicted to would be opoids anyway..

Finally there are those who actually don't care/want to do drugs their whole life and die young.. I know one guy like that, I know another but I feel he will change.

8. Addiction is for lost people

9. i dont think thats true maybe for things like tabacco

10. everyone's addicted in one way or another to something be it chemical or behavior. it's the brain chemicals in your mind that give you pleasure from whatever your addiction is, but if you do certain drugs that replace your brains natural chemicals, it will more likely lead to a physical dependence, where you will get sick from abstaining from the drug. alcoholics have been known to get strokes from not having alcohol in there blood like its been used to.

11. The people who believe that are probably some of the most susceptible to addictions. It takes a certain type of stupid to be so arrogant that you think your mind is so strong that you could resist a physical addiction.

12. A year back i was dabbling with the white powder a little too much and decided to stop.

The only reason it was hard was because i mad eit hard for myself by having a routine IE: home from work, get changed, shower, do some lines.

When i stopped the most hardest part was when i got home from work because of the routine i was in. Any other time through out the day it didnt affect me but it was very very hard to resist when i got home.

Sucks.

13. I like the shirts with the saying, Rehab Is For Quitters.

14. Addiction is a self inflicted thing but I think it is determined with your mindset, a depressed person such as myself would be way more susceptable to drug addiction based on the idea that personal care is lower on the chain when you feel this way..

15. i used to think that way until i let myself get into a habit. only then was i able to look at how easy it would have been for me to fall into addiction. Thinking you are too strong minded to become addicted is far more dangerous in my opinion

16. i do believe it is for the weak minded. When ur depressed, ur mind is vulnerable thus weak and can fall into an addictive personality easier. For those that are truly having difficulty quitting and wont stop using its because they either dont truly want to quit yet or they are weak minded and dont have the will to quit.

Physical addiction is harder to quit, of course. With alcoholics, the physical addiction to the alcohol can kill them if they suddenly abstain, which is why benzos are prescribed to alcoholics, so they can slowly wean themselves away from the alcohol. However, this physical addiction wont last more than 7 or 8 days, which is why if u are srsly addicted to alc, benzos or opiates u should go to a detox clinic to get clean. Coke isnt physically addictive so its not necessary to go. But the addictiveness of the drug or the personality of the person is shown after their physical withdrawals end and they psychologically crave the drug, which if they are weak minded they will relapse.

17. Is addiction always a bad thing?

18. it really depends, i know many doctors who are addicted to benzos, opiates and other drugs but overall they're satisfied with their lives, they just dont have the time or energy to go thru withdrawls and cravings.

now if ur life is going in a direction that u dont want and its changing because of your drug addiction, then yes it is bad, because u are slowly losing control over your own life.

19. I kind of agree with this point. People who wouldn't generally go down the route of hard drug addiction can find themselves looking to the escapism that comes from certain drugs such as heroin. Whether this makes you weak minded depends on your definition of weakmindedness.

What you're referring to is Delirium tremens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, or the DT's, and yes it is very dangerous. Probably more dangerous than going cold turkey of heroin.

Cocaine is absolutely physically addictive. It just doesn't cause dangerous withdrawal symptoms. Most people find it difficult to get physically addicted to Coke because it's less addictive than drugs such as tobacco and heroin, but also much more expensive. You don't get addicted because most people can't afford to take enough of it.

Addiction comes in different forms. Psychological and physical/chemical. I can't really think of a physical addiction that is good for you.

Psychological on the other hand is different. It could be argued that a lot of health freaks are addicted to the gym, or jogging. Neurologically it's a pretty similar thing. People psychologically addicted to a behaviour are addicted to the release of hormones such as dopamine and serotonin in their brains.

It just happens that getting fit is a by-product of addiction to the gym.