Add/adhd

Discussion in 'General' started by Big Loki, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Ok guys so I've been getting asked lately by my boss at work if I had ADD/ADHD because im always late and can never stay focused for more than a minute or two. So I started looking into and it started freaking me out when I was reading the symptoms because all of them described me. I made an appointment with a psychiatrist and I feel like a complete dumb ass because when she would ask me questions my mind would just go fuckin blank even if I already knew what I was gonna say and I just really think I screwed everything up. She ended up saying that she doesn't think I have ADD/ADHD because I had fairly good grades in school and I went to college but in highschool I never learned from getting taught by a teacher I always taught myself the lesson and I never did homework but I didn't tell her that. She ended up saying she thinks I have generalized anxiety and depression. I just feel like I didn't give her good info and I truly believe that I have ADD/ADHD but I don't know how to really talk to her about it because I think shes gonna think im just trying to get meds I don't need. So my question is whats the best thing for me to do in this situation?

2. You should just be honest and open.

Depression and anxiety can manifest as ADD-like symptoms sometimes.

Removing grains from your diet might help, as will exercise. Take it from someone who has dealt with acute ADHD his whole life: you don't want, nor need those meds.

3. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']You should just be honest and open.

Depression and anxiety can manifest as ADD-like symptoms sometimes.

Removing grains from your diet might help, as will exercise. Take it from someone who has dealt with acute ADHD his whole life: you don't want, nor need those meds.[/quote]

Yeah the doctor told me the same thing about the depression and anxiety causing similar symptoms to that of ADD. The only thing that gets me though is the anxiety and depression didn't start till about a month ago when I got arrested but I've been having all the symptoms for ADD since I can remember.

4. The problem with the psychiatry industry is a little something called the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Health, or DSM for short. This is a manual that lists all of the psychiatric disorders the APA has come up with, and the symptoms necessary for a person to be diagnosed. It's a huge help, but it really can be a hindrance as well.

In the ADD subsection, there are 9 symptoms. 6 of which must be present for a diagnosis of ADD to occur. More for ADHD.

The questions she asked you were to determine where you are among these 9 symptoms. If you didn't meet 6 of the 9 criteria, then you either need further observation and/or the diagnosis of ADD is not correct.

5. I just think work is boring, its hard to stay focused on something tedious and menial so people get slapped with unfair labels and mental disorders. I agree with what one person already posted, try more exersize if you dont already, it'll help release endorphines and reduce depression and make you more alert. I find weed helps me get through the day really, to actually have something to look forward to after boring ass shit that never changes, is never enjoyable and rarely anything available for me to do that makes me feel like I actually worked hard and deserved my paycheck. Needless to say I quit my last job haha

6. Post on as many forums as you can

The last thing you want to do is go back to a different doctor and not fuck it up

7. Tell her how u honestly feel, or maybe you don' have ADD

8. xanax>adderall

Just accept what she said..lol

9. I work at a private school that specifically teaches kids w/ADD/ADHD.....PM if you want to tell me some of what you are experiencing and Ill give you some feedback. I have worked there 12 yrs and can tell you quite a bit about it.

10. We all got a Lil add in us all man

11. [quote name='"pheelgood"']xanax>adderall

Just accept what she said..lol[/quote]

Brah I DO NOT WANT ANY XANAX!!! I've heard way to many bad stories about people who use it recreationaly and I've heard that the withdrawals are horrible. I just wanna be able to focus and not be late all the time and be able to go to sleep and stop thinking about so much shit.

12. dude you cant determine if somebody has add by "asking some questions." when i got tested i did 3 hours of testing for 2 days. 3 hours each day. took all kinds of iq tests and shit and she determined i had adhd because on untimed tests i scored almost perfect but whenever time was involved i sucked. anything i answered was still accurate but i could never finish on time. obviously it was more in depth than that but basically it showed that something was getting lost in translation from my brain to my hand with the pencil in it. you need to do some real tests.

13. The testing comes after the initial evaluation, especially in the case of adults. You always have an "intake" session whenever you first start seeing a psychiatrist.

14. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']

The testing comes after the initial evaluation, especially in the case of adults. You always have an "intake" session whenever you first start seeing a psychiatrist.[/quote]

hmm yeah i guess thats true, i did meet her once first. but this guy is convinced he has this condition based on basically...nothing.

15. Its not horrible lol the meds are worse then the condition in my eyes.

I have it.

16. Most people are, just because it's so out in the public consciousness now. Any sort of boredom is immediately seen as ADD. As someone who has ADHD, it's definitely not about boredom. I can tell the difference. When you can't find the motivation to do something you absolutely love, there's a problem.

Exactly. The drugs tend to make the condition worse over time, because your brain becomes so used to needing an outside source of dopamine. It sucks.

17. In high school a teacher wanted me to get checked out for ADD or ADHD. She said a clear sign that I had the disorder was that I gave 100% effort to things I was interested in, and didn't really give a shit about anything else. Now I don't know about anyone else but that sounds pretty normal to me... so needless to say my parents never made me go get checked out.
    I'm sick of "doctors" telling kids they have disorders when really at the most they simply have different tendencies than other kids.

18. [quote name='"Sunn"']

hmm yeah i guess thats true, i did meet her once first. but this guy is convinced he has this condition based on basically...nothing.[/quote]

No im convinced I have it because I have all the symptoms. I have trouble sleeping at night, I zone out all the time, im always late, forget my keys, wallet, and important things such as appointments, test, and homework on a daily basis. People will also tell me somethin but later when they ask me about it I've totally forgot. I also move my leg a lot while im setting still and it gets really embarrassing when someone sees me doing it.

19. forgetfulness has nothing to do with add or adhd.. i have a great memory but also adhd. sleep doesnt really have to do with it either, maybe for adhd though. maybe you're just tired so you forget shit and zone out.

20. [quote name='"Sunn"']forgetfulness has nothing to do with add or adhd.. i have a great memory but also adhd. sleep doesnt really have to do with it either, maybe for adhd though. maybe you're just tired so you forget shit and zone out.[/quote]

I don't know where the fuck your getting your info but how about do some damn research before you try and sound like you know what your talking about.

http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/h...pguide.org/mental/adhd_add_adult_symptoms.htm