ACT - Aerated Compost Tea

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Microbeman, Sep 21, 2012.

1. If a person was wanting to water a couple houseplants or potted tomatoe plants, would a 1-2 gallon unit be big enough?

2. How much do you use when you water them? That answers your question.

Microscope; 10x eyepiece(s) - 4x - 10x - 20x - 40x objectives

3. Jerry

Where did you get the fitting on the bottom of your airlift? What the heck is it called?

4. So a micro-ACTbrewer would work just fine for a lot of small grows. You could always make 2 batches if you had to. I'm thinking 2 gallon you could use a big aquarium pump and get the .08 gpm needed?

If you had left over tea, wouldn't it be a good idea to water your compost pile with it?

5. Sure. Right now I have some Blue Puya seedlings I'm nursing in the house and I just make compost tea for them by stirring some vermicompost with water and molasses. No point setting up the breweer for a dribble here and there.

6. Would one be able to use a brewer that is larger than needed say a 35 gallon and put the end piece that is at an angle to create the spiral in vortex dipped down at half the carrying capacity of the 35 gal to only make about 15 gal of tea?

I vote to sticky this thread...

7. The nature of an airlift is to function at full volume. If you ran at half full, it would sputter and dribble. You could run an airlift in a non-cone bottom tank with varying size riser pipes for differing volumes.

8. Alrite so there goes that, thanks mm,.

What would be the recommended size brewer to take care of 3 100 gallon smartpots? I don't wanna go to small and have to dilute to much..

Thanks

9. During construction I dragged the whole shebang into my local hardware store, set it up in the middle of the aisle and put together what I thought would work...lol I needed to be able to connect the airlift to the threads that came on the tank.

The store employees were very helpful. I honestly don't know the name of the connection but I really like it - I pull the 2 pins and the whole bottom drops out. It's some kind of "quick release" that utilizes an O-ring.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

J

10. How much do you water each time on average?

11. I have no idea how much those pots would need to be watered, I'm just trying to get prepared for next spiring.. Sorry

12. 100 gal = 13-17 gallons.

13. Thanks gnomepunter, is that for each water or brewer size?

14. That is how much water a hundred takes for a good watering so you will need three times that.

15. I would say it depends on how moist you keep your soil.

16. I wanna keep soil moist all through out the pot I don't want any dry spots killing off precious microbial beings, do you water with ACT every time you water plants microbeman?

Think a 35 gal brewer will be good enough for the 3 hundred gals?

17. MM,

Have you ever been able to identify specific species of N fixing bacteria in your microscopy work? I am interested because of the different functions of the different bacterium and think it would be beneficial to be able to ID. Would an electron microscope be the tool of choice for positive ID on these different microbes?

I'd also like to know if you're familiar with the Motic Images Plus Microscope Camera and imaging software. If so, what are your thoughts?

Chunk

18. I've observed cyanobacteria which fix nitrogen; only because they are easy to identify. Most bacteria/archaea must be identified with more complex testing than microscopy. There are some test kits you can purchase from lab supply places. Don't forget scientists cannot even tell bacteria from archaea without a DNA test.

I'f you are ready to spend $80K on an electron scope give me a shout.

I think you are better with a camcoder than Motic personally. A good quality Motic is fairly pricey I think and I've heard so so reports from people with Motics.

19. Interesting.....so are PNSB's considered cyanobacteria? And for the record, if I had an extra 80 large, I'd be parked next to you viewing the monitor while you're readying the specimens.

20. cyanobacteria are not PNSBs. They are both phototrophic. Cyanobacteria is green and considred a form of algae. Other algae is flagellate-like and is motile. Weird world huh?