Acoustic Cover I Did (EDIT: Old Man by Neil Young)

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by AR Toasty, Nov 11, 2012.

1. #1 AR Toasty, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Thought I'd share a little somethin'-somethin' and join in on the fun. Here's a cover I did of Bon Iver's song, Skinny Love. It's one of my all-time favorite songs, so I hope somebody can dig it.

2. #2 AR Toasty, Nov 12, 2012
    Thought I'd throw up a classic and more well known song too. Old Man by Neil Young, a la City and Colour.

Thanks to anyone who gives 'em a listen.

3. man we should jam sometime. good job main

4. Thanks for the listen and feedback, bro. What kind of stuff do you play?

5. im really into finger picking folk style shizz like this
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7H61rrzLXY]M. Ward - Chinese Translation (Live in the Bing Lounge) - YouTube[/ame]

city and colour has been a huge influence on my playing style, going back like 5 years

6. #6 AR Toasty, Nov 15, 2012
    That's awesome, mate. You might try giving Matt Corby a listen - he's a really stellar Aussie fingerpicking folk style shizz artist. Dude gives me chills.

Also, if you've got any stuff recorded, love to hear it.

And because this is my thread and I suppose I'm allowed, here's a City and Colour cover to add to the list.

7. wow man, great voice, great cover! (I love that song)
    What about a Heart of Gold cover? you should try it

8. Thanks a lot, brah. Neil Young is one of my favorites for sure!

I haven't played Heart of Gold in a long time. I'll have to dust off the old harmonica for that one. But first buy a harmonica. Haven't owned one since... well, probably since the last time I played Heart of Gold. :laughing:

Thanks again, mang.

9. the bon iver cover made me soooo fucking happy. i couldnt believe you pulled his voice of soo good. fuckin A job dude. keep this shit up,, youll go places before you know it

10. Cheers, mate. Love Bon Iver too, one of my favorites to listen to and cover.

11. id like to hear you do Holocene next, from bon iver, bon iver.

your voice is awesome, one of the few guitarists that can pull taht off perfectly

12. Cheers once again, man. Skinny Love is probably my all-time favorite song, so I like to try and do it justice. But as a rule, I tend to offend Bon Iver fans with how loud and brash I play those tunes. :laughing:

Not as familiar with the newer album, but I might look more into it. If I can keep whoring some tunes out... Blood Bank, Bon Iver.

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/super_andy/blood-bank-bon-iver-cover[/soundcloud]

13. those arnt true fans, or true music understanders hahaha. its a cover...its your style.

ever do some goo goo dolls? your voice is perfect for it man. i really enjoy all the music you make man, its very very good.

14. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVYPw9OXauA]John Butler Trio - Ocean (Live @ Fuji Rock Festival '10).flv - YouTube[/ame]

This is great finger picking.

You did really good, man.

15. Dude, your Old Man cover is spot on. Dug it a lot.

16. dude you are very talented, you have a nice voice. Skinny love sounded like it flowed with emotion good job man

17. #17 AR Toasty, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
    Thanks for the listen and props for the feedback Cozmo and David. Always means a lot when someone stops and gives me a listen.

And love John Butler, ironlac. Cheers, mate.

And Keif, don't play a lot of Goo, but I do get a lot of requests for 'em. Thanks a heap again! :laughing:

Good vibes, all :smoking:

18. No problem dude. Was wondering what sort of interface, mic, and software you are using to record? How long have you been playing?

19. I'm pretty small time :laughing:

I usually just record using whatever camera is nearby and pulling the audio from the video. That's why my vocals are really overpowering compared to the guitar sometimes. One of my bandmates has a whole setup for recording, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.

And I've been playing guitar seriously for about ten years, since I was 14.

20. Nice, man. I've been playing for ten years myself, but can't sing for shit, just don't have the right voice for it.
    You should look into investing in an Shure SM57 and a cheap USB interface (I recommend the Steinberg CI1), and pirate a copy of Cubase or whatever. I know it can get pricey pretty quick. But your talent deserves proper recording. Not saying what you have is bad, but recording quality is a huge part of it all. Again though, great work, and hope you keep it up!