Acid reflux from smoking; anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Jdogtulsa, Jan 13, 2012.

1. So I recently discovered that smoking triggers my acid reflux, (mainly the morning after smoking) and I was wondering if there were any other blades with this problem/similar situations. If so, how do you get it to go away?
    I use Tums and they seem to work pretty good, but I would rather not have to eat Tums for the rest of my smoking days.

2. I sort of have a similar problem. Some say marijuana helps acid reflux. I personally don't think it helps, and prilosec OTC really does wonders. No need for Tums, Prilosec is the tits

3. I do like tits. Thanks for the tip!

4. Pepcid AC is the shit for any kind of stomach/acid issue. Has 3 ingredients in it..same stuff as in milk of magnesia, tums, and pepcid ac. You get immediate relief from the 1st two and in about 30 min the last sets in.

Eating tums the rest of your life isn't that bad its calcium. My 94 year old granny has eaten 2 a day most of her life just for that.

5. Take a break, and hope the acid reflux doesn't come back. That's what I did, and I haven't had trouble again.

6. I've been throwing up stomach acid every morning, started happening 3 months after i started smoking and i cant eat until i smoke for the first time in the day. nothing makes the nausea go away accept just throwing up and getting it over with. feel great by the time 10 am rolls along and i've had a smoke.

7. Mines definitely not that bad, sorry to hear. It's just annoying, it leaves a terrible taste in the bottom of my throat and it doesn't go away unless I eat a Tums. I was just curious as to whether other blades dealt with it. Thanks for the input.

8. It's actually really dangerous to just keep gobbling tums & ignoring your symptoms. Acid Reflux can eat away your esophageal lining and do some serious long-term damage, including cancerous stuff.

Antacids are basically band-aids. I think it's better to learn the things that trigger acid reflux & cut them out of your diet. Those things vary a bit from person to person but the big ones are caffeine & nicotine. For me, fatty/overrich foods & just overeating in general triggers it too.

10 yrs ago I had acid reflux so bad I would have random attacks that made it so I could hardly breathe. No fun. Now, I'm a daily weed smoker with no troubles. The difference is: I cleaned my diet up like crazy.

9. Are you a young-ish male by any chance? My smoking buddy used to vomit every morning, got acid reflux and heartburn everyday. He went on like that for a couple years, Then he started getting into vomiting hardcore, like.. getting really really sick for a week or two, laying in bed just vomiting and sleeping. There is a somewhat obscure study that was done in South Australia about this phenomenon. It has only been seen to effect young males (in all the reading I did), and it is directly related to smoking weed. My friend now only smokes a little in the evening, and has days off. He no longer has any of the problems he had, and this was all in line with what I read about the study. I will find the info for you, if you happen to be young male I saw my mate you don't want to get to this point, make some changes.

Ahh here. Cannabinoid hyperemesis. Cannabinoid hyperemesis: cyclical hyperemesis in association with chronic cannabis abuse plenty more information if you hit up google though

Do you just get smash stoned every night? take nights off, and see how your morning is.

As for straight up acid reflux. quit tobacco if you smoke it, drink more water (buy it, I dont drink tap water), sit up straight, go for a walk after eating. don't eat then lay down. clean your bong and put fresh water before every smoke. I love a good dutch, but sitting in fresh clean air is better.

I have acid reflux disease from taking NSAIDS, and being a crystal meth addict, amongst other things. I take nexium, its prescription. It reduces the amount of stomach acid produced. Antacids just cover it up, I actually reflux the antacids too. A foamy, vile but still kinda minty reflux. Its disgusting. Mint is a big trigger for reflux for a lot of people, so why they make antacids mint flavoured is beyond me. I saw berry flavoured, this is a better idea. The damage from reflux can be very bad, Its best to stop it not relieve it.

Diet will make more difference than anything else, even though you want to confine the problem to smoking its probably only part of it. fatty food, processed chemical filled food, citrus, tomato based products, caffeine, chocolate and dairy products. These are your basic cut outs for acid reflux. You will find you will have more, and you may tolerate things other people don't. you need to investigate everything in your diet.

Its worth thinking about your weed too, Do you buy from a reputable source? Are the plants flushed before harvest, etc. Its going to be a matter of experimenting before you get it right.

10. There is something well fucked up about you being on this website... :eek:

11. ask your doctor.

12. I'm a Doctor.

13. #13 uddnejfe, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

yes i am im 22 and yes i smoke entirely too much weed. i lay down after i eat, i drink tap water, i smoke pipe tobacco , and i love citrus caffeine and dairy lol. recently tho i quit smoking anything to give my wallet a break, threw up the first morning but after that i havent thrown up, i feel like im producing too much adrenaline now tho as i feel nervous often for no reason and im having a hard time focusing on speech. thank you so much tho, as this confirms my fear, but at least i know what to do now. youre awesome man. I never did feel the need to wash myself too often

14. You never got to the point of hot showers, my mate did it for ages I didnt think anything of it. He had like 3 or more showers a day, He never said at the time he felt sick and it helped, he didnt really think about it.. but after the DR told him about it (as a by the way kinda side note) I researched it for him, and thats when he realised about the showers. I think you are/were a way behind this though, he didnt start getting sick for years, just had the morning sickness.

As for the symptoms of anxiety, this is just the 'withdrawal' from weed (I know someone is gunna chime in and say weed has no withdrawal, but I speak from experience). Its very different to other drugs, in that the withdrawal is very long and drawn out (this is why people say it has no withdrawal, it doesnt resemble withdrawal from other drugs). When I quit smoking after being a heavy smoker for 2 years, I had anxiety and panic disorder.. I had depression, and these slowly became less bothersome over the 3 months I didnt smoke. Weed effects your brain chemistry, you just need to level out again..

To make a strange comparison, think about heroin withdrawal - the bodies pain receptors have been effectively switched off for a long time, when your body doesnt get the gear it craves, the pain receptors go into overdrive.. and this is true withdrawal. With weed, its like you have been on relax mode for such a long time, that when you are not in relax mode you are in anxiety mode, instead of just being more neutral.

As for the reflux, you may stop having that because you quit smoking, but its still a good idea to follow the simple things that help.. like dont lay down after eating etc..

As for the weed sickness, my mate is ok now he still smokes, but just a lot less.. he may still get sick again but has a new job which is quite physical, and he isnt eating munchies like he used to so he just seems healthier.. whether or not it will make a difference I suppose only time will tell, I'll update you, but I think you can still smoke, but only occasionally.. I would be having a clean day atleast in between each smoke.

15. Thank you for the advice, i will definitely follow it. i have been eating better over the last month, which may attribute to less vomiting also. i was just thinking back on my shower memories and i did take abnormally long very hot showers, but my roommate asked me to stop so i did.

16. No worries man, You did good to notice the problem as something potentially bad, and it will do you good to take care of yourself more. You probably got in on time so now if you keep in a state that you don't get morning sickness and reflux, you should be right, I don't see it progressing to full blown hyperemesis if you are otherwise generally well. I think you could use the morning sickness as a sort of warning sign.