Acetone Stem Extraction

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by drewduffy1, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Ok i dont quite understand i pour my acetone into a glass bowl then put it in a larger bowl full of boiling water? So the heat from the boiling water evaporates the acetone very fast?

2. #22 FumbDucker, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
    I personally used acetone for surfboard manufacturing for over 15 years now. I can tell you that acetone fumes are strong and for sure toxic. I use it to clean surfboard resin off my tools. We are not concerned about fumes because they will evaporate any way. The properties that makes this a better choice over ISO is the rapid evaporation factor. My main concern was the health risk from prolonged use of the acetone method. I looked up the MSDS sheet for acetone to find any cancer causing substance in it and to my surprise it doesnt have em, check the link for the MSDS ACETONE.

The next thing I would worry about is taste and it seems that people that tried the acetone method have good things to say about it and they don't seem dead so far. I don't think arguing about which method is better will get anywhere. Personally I wouldn't mind trying the acetone method just to see how it comes out.

I get 1 gallon of acetone for 20 bucks or more. So go with what suits you and your wallet I guess.

3. Let me clarify a bit, sorry I'm at work and wrote that "how-to" a bit quick.

First, mix the acetone and ganja in a mason jar and shake the shit out of it.

You need two different sized pyrex dishes, a big one for the water and a smaller one for the acetone/ganja. The larger one is for the boiling water, it doesn't have to be pyrex, though... anything that will hold boiling water will do, so long as it is large enough for the smaller pyrex to fit into without the water spilling out.

Pour the boiling water in the larger pyrex.

Then pour the acetone/ganja into the smaller one.

Then place the pyrex with the acetone ganja into the larger pyrex/pot/whatever with the boiling water. Don't use so much water that it overflows into the smaller pyrex. That would be bad.

As I said before, wear glasses or saftey goggles when you do this, because it does get a bit Mr. Wizard until the acetone evaporates.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

4. #24 red_medicine, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009

I've used this method several times, and haven't experienced any kind of chemical taste/smell... just hashy goodness. I can't be guarantee that it is completely chemical free, though... I'm no scientist, just a weedhead.

I also forgot to mention that you need to strain the plant matter out of the acetone before you put it in the pyrex! I'm a doofus!
    You can use a regular old kitchen sieve and a coffee filter.

If you have any questions, post them here... I'll check back tonight or tomorrow. If you don't, let me know how it goes!

5. Thanks alot for the info i have my acetone evaporating very quickly i would say, ill let you know what i get later

6. Acetone = Polar = less chlorophyll and other shit's on your stuff.
    ISO = Semi-Polar = more stuff on your final product.

Acetone evaporates faster and it's more flammable, so i let the stuff rest outside for 2 days at a dark place then i use the boiling water.

Always use glass or metal never plastic, it melts.

I always use ISO 96% at the end to purify the final product and let it evaporate to.

The site A1B2C3 have a lot of references on books that they base there experiments, on the bottom of there page.

7. I forgot to post my results but it turned out great i evaporated it all scraped up what was left and i got a pretty decent amount of good quality oil

8. You shouldn't use acetone. I've cleaned paintbrushes with the solvent many times, and even after it's completely dried it still stinks like the stuff. I would assume it would leave some sort of a residue behind.

9. Why would you clean paint brushes with acetone?
    sounds like your ruining your brushes, should try just paint thiner with a few drops of boiled linseed oil in the mix to keep the bristles moist,
    acetone isnt that bad, laquer thinner is pretty nasty, and xylene, and naptha is nasty to,
    acetone evaporates very quickly and just the friction of wiping something with it gets it hot enough to instantly evaporate,
    this sounds great to many people think that iso is safer though, i dont see how, maybe ethyl might do it but neither are completely polar
    sounds fun, i sell paint so i know all about solvents and acetone is for resins. like bondo and yes the stuff you make surfboards from which i belive is fiberglass resin just like bondo, most other thinners like paint thinner and laquer thiner are combos of solvents, but now with VOC laws i dont know whats happening with solvents on the market

10. Awesome dude... very glad to hear it!

11. Got myself about 2.5 Oz of stem. Wondering whats the best/safest method of producing either easy hash or some sticky oil to smoke?

12. Just a quick addition to this thread.

All you guys who aren't Bio/Chemically educated should not post assumptions.
    It is hardly toxic, Acetone is naturally produced and disposed of in the human body as a result of normal metabolic processes. It is a terrific solvent because of the volatility. You''l have smokable oil after a day.

I have tried it with a plant in the vegetive stage and although it didn't taste good (due to the plant being in the vegetative stage) it did get me baked.

13. if u use stem for oil it will produce a decent amount and it will be easier than sifting the stems if u do cold water extraction u will prolly get best quality for hash but i wouldnt know from personal experience

14. Sorry, but I have to correct you on part of this.

Acetone is indeed Polar, so is water, isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol), and both chlorophyll A and B. This means that if you use isopropanol, or acetone as a solvent, along with the cannbinoids, terpenoids and flavinoids, you will also grab the water, chlorophylls and other dissolvable contents of the plant.

It would be better to use something like heptane or hexane which are non-polar solvents. You can soak you pot in these two for days and days.

Although the best way would be to completely grind up all plant material and soak it in hexane for an hour or so, then distill it and you would have a nice golden brown oil, heptane would work a bit better, but would probably be more difficult to obtain.

Either way, acetone is polar, isopropanol is polar, water is polar, and so are the chlorophylls, so they will all easily mix together.

15. try eveclear 190 proof grain alcohol from the liquor store. it's organic and 95% pure alcohol.

16. if you buy pure Acetone it is only Acetone.

I dont know what the other 9% is in 91%ISO.

17. water

18. Although the best way would be to completely grind up all plant material and soak it in hexane for an hour or so, then distill it and you would have a nice golden brown oil, heptane would work a bit better, but would probably be more difficult to obtain.

Quote from Atarijedi

No matter what solvent one used, running the 'mash' through a still would absolutly be the way to go.

Problem is, finding/making a still for a reasonable price, that would still be safe.

I know many autobody repair facilities have 'recyclers' that distill paint thinner to remove particulate and disolved solids so it can be reused. If you had say 5-10 gallons of solvent filled with disolved cannibus extract, and a few thousand dollars, along with the excuse to purchase said distiller...:D:D:D:D

I did an acetone extraction many years ago. Worked fine, although it did pull a green tint.