Acetone / Nail Polish Remover smell?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by FragileBob, Mar 4, 2013.

1. #1 FragileBob, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
    I'm in my first grow and I have a strange question, so I figured I'd toss into the beginner section.

About 14/20 days ago I moved to a 12/12 flower schedule. I have a Phresh filter running on my box exhaust which has completely eliminated the veg odor.

But the past couple of days I get a hint of Acetone or Nail Polish Remover (or maybe Sharpie Marker) when I walk in the door. Basically it's enough to make you say "whew". Before I can even get to my grow box I find that I can't smell it any longer, meaning I get used to it right away.

Usually I wouldn't care but the wife comments on it right away when we come home. If she does, then the common Joe would too. Really nothing in the house has changed recently and I'm curious if this is a common flower odor?

I've resorted to running the ona bucket again which I'd rather not due.

I've walked the house and can't figure it put.

Two strains growing PR OG Kush / Crit47.

-FragileBob

2. Can you smell it from the exhaust? Perhaps it the intake fan.

I had great success with ONA bucket. Have issues you have with it?

3. I have a Phresh Filter also and I will say that the air that comes out of it does smell different. It smells like its been cleaned or something. You are not exceeding the cfm limit on that carbon filter are you? I have the 24 x 6 inch Phresh Filter which is 24" tall and fits 6" ducting. That one is rated at 550 cfm and I am only using a 430 cfm fan so it works great. I kind of doubt that you would have bought too big of a fan for it, but the filter may not work properly if your fan's cfm rating on your fan exceeds the rating of the filter.

4. Could it be some type of chemical that was used to seal a cooled hood? Nothing in a phresh filter should give off an acetone odor.

5. Thx for the replies. It is a 6x16, and the fan is rated for 400cfm, but I'm only running it at 50% power.

My bulbs are cfl, so any hps hood is out. The Phresh filter has been installed for about a month, and this has come up with a couple days.

I agree the air from the filter does smell different, but it's a good different, not an unpleasant different.

I've just never smelled a flowering plant and wondered if that was a common smell.

The vegetative smell was nice (kinda just green plant) and I obviously know the smell of bud... Just didn't know if that's a new smell I should get used to or not.

It's probably something else in the house... Just wanted to gather thoughts on a possible smell from the grow.

-FragileBob

6. Just to follow-up, I believe I've narrowed the smell down. It seems to be a mixture of a couple rooting clones I have airing out and a small set of Cilantro growing in the herb garden.

Strange mixture, but I believe it's the cause. I guess the Cilantro really kicks out the smell in this stage of growth.

Weird, that it would confuse me that much.
    Thanks again for the help.

-FragileBob