Accidentally Smoked My Stem

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Bonziamo, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Toking for the first time after a little break, I decided to break out an old piece. I went for "Rambong", the first piece I ever made. The bong consists of a metal bowl and a stem made out of a plastic pen. Now, the bowl was new, I had an aluminum foil bowl before.

So I took a few hits throughout the night, pipe smoked like a charm. Then, as I was loading up one supersized pure hash hit, I held the lighter on way too long. I wanted to make sure that all the hash got lit, and the bowl ended up melting the plastic pen. I was so baked when I took the hit I didn't even notice the pen melting.

Can't be safe to inhale all that plastic, but I guess theres nothing I can do about that now..

Got really high tho :smoke:

Attached Files:

2. Shyt ur gonna die now ...

3. you saved a plastic bottle with a pen taped in it? Then smoked it? all day?

WHY?!?!?

4. Your bongs name reminds me of car ramrod. *giggly giggly goo*

I don't think you'll die or turn into some new breed of superhero if you're not sure.

You'd be The Melting Pot for sure though if you were.

5. Their called disposable bongs for a reason...

stop being cheap buy a real one if your gonna keep it that long smoking out of a pen is nasty bro

6. There are acrylic bongs for like 30 bucks at every head shop in my area.

Trash that thing and inve$t

7. I'll let you know if I die.

And the closest headshop I know is a few hours away, and I haven't been out of town in a while.

8. ive smoked a ping pong ball on accident out of a gravity bong....i will never forget that taste..just gross

9. everybody has aids, aids, aids, aids, aids!!!!!

10. ewww but lol at rambong, that shit made me laugh

11. Dude, smoking through plastic at any time is dangerous, smoke is pretty hot and will cause plastics to evaporate/combust on a small scale. Even a new bottle, you can still harm yourself. Use plastic bottles long enough and those small amounts equal one large health risk...Or spend 15 bucks on a cheap spoon.

12. I have a home-made water bottle bong, but I'm always extremely care to construct it in a way so that the plastic never gets hot, usually with a lot of foil used as insulation so the heat can dissipate mostly between hits. I also only apply the flame for a fraction of a second, so only part of the weed starts to burn, then I use air pressure to intensify the fire. That way you aren't heating up the bowl too much to the point where it's heating up the plastic. Be careful man.

13. All hail.

[​IMG]

14. #14 Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2011
    Dude, smoke is over 1000F...thats hot enough to melt plastic, the bottle is still getting hot whether you wanna believe it or not.

*edit*
    I'm sorry, closer to 500F+, but still, that is hot enough to start the conversion from solid to vapor when it passes over the plastic.

15. Not all of that heat is transferred to the bottle, though. I always ensure the plastic right next to the bowl, where they connect, remains completely cool to the touch. I make sure it isn't getting hot. Most of the heat gets dissipated into the water. Smoke sessions with a plastic stem like that should take at least 3-5 times longer than a normal smoke session too because you have to allow time for everything to cool between hits, so that the heat doesn't build up either. Don't worry man, I legitimately make sure I'm being as safe as possible. Even if there is a bit of risk, which I'm sure there is, it's nothing I'm too worried about when half the stuff I was given as a baby was made with fire retardants and other chemicals which are now found to be extremely cancerous, so I'm probably screwed anyway. :rolleyes: :smoke:

16. You still ignore the fact that the large surface area of inside the bottle comes in contact with smoke, you can't insulate it enough to ignore the fact that smoke makes contact with plastic. You are inhaling plastic. It's dangerous. but it's your call.

And I don't quite understand how being exposed to possible cancerous sources in the past can justify not caring about exposing oneself to dangerous/cancerous materials. Again, its your call, but your lungs shouldn't be exposed to small, sharp shards of plastic.

17. I never denied or ignored the fact that smoke comes in contact with the plastic. lol I'm not "inhaling plastic" though. lol Even if a minuscule amount of vapours were released, it wouldn't be enough for any noticeable effects. The risk is minimal, just like the risk is minimal when you eat an apple that had that plastic sticker on it. Sure, maybe chemicals were absorbed into the apple, but is it enough to make you even sick? No. You have to figure out your priorities, man. If you're going to live your life fearing such minuscule exposures to chemicals, you're going to die of paranoia because that's just ridiculous. That's like saying you're not going to go outside ever again because there's a slight chance you could get hit by a plane at any time. Also, your imagination is failing you. There's not chance I'm inhaling shards of plastic. That's just dumb. lol No offence, it just is. The plastic would be inhaled in vapour or smoke form, not as a solid. That would require abrasives that would produce a light enough plastic dust for it to be inhaled. lol There are no abrasives involved in my bong.

I'm going to part just by saying you better never live in a house that's painted. Those evil toxic fumes are going to get you where ever you go! Oh and beware of carbon monoxide. Better not drive at all or be anywhere near cars. They're dangerous!!! lol Sorry, I just like mocking ridiculous people sometimes. :smoke:

18. slurpee straws from 7/11 man the metal ones that cost .99 a socket, metal filter. put the straw in the socket, hot glue it. put the screen in there and boom you have a slide. for the outer part who cares what you use because i goes all the way in the water, and that's not getting over 100degrees celcius. 212 fahrenheit. perfectly safe.

19. #19 Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2011
    A sticker on an apple skin is much different and an awful anology at best. I am not living inside any dome of phobias, I do try to minimize risk when possible, especially if it's as easy as spending a few bucks for glass instead of using plastic. It's a small risk, but doing that small risk over and over, adds up to alot. Plastic in your lungs can be life threatening at a certain point, your lungs have a hard time healing when damaged and it doesnt exactly rid itself of the plastic, it will just stay there.

It's your body, do what you like. Ignore risks in life because you assume you can't be harmed and refusing to take advice on something you are misinformed about.

And paint is not going into a vapor at any point after dried, plastic inside of a bottle when its hit by smoke at 500F will vaporize. Energy excites molecules, and there are alot of molecules that will be excited to the point of being released as a gaesous compound into your smoke you inhale into your lungs, where it condenses onto your brachioli.

*edit* what is the reason for mocking anyways? That is not appreciated at GC man. Nowhere did I condescend to you, or make fun of you for your reponses. I am simply explaining facts and explaining how it is dangerous. If you can't manage a response in an intelligent manner without resorting to mockery then just don't reply. We don't need bullies here.

20. It was actually intended fully to be an awful analogy. :rolleyes: I realise that inhaling plastic can be fatal, but so can drinking too much water. I too try to minimize risks as much as possible and that's what I'm doing. I don't let it even get warm. I make sure everything stays cool to the touch, so the chances that anything is getting hot enough to vaporise in the first place is slim to none. It's not like I don't also have a metal pipes that I use all the time either. I don't solely use my home-made bong. lol I'm really not doing it to the point where it could realistically add up to a lot. I'm not assuming I can't be harmed, I'm taking that risk and acknowledging that there may be backlashes down the road. I know I'm already screwed to some extent, I'm taking action in other areas of my life to reduce my exposure to chemicals, and it's really not something I'm panicked about just because the chances that I'm even taking in any more chemicals that you would by drinking out of the bottle are slim.

Also, VOC - Volatile Organic Compound - VOC and Paint paint is dangerous dude, you can't deny it. I'm not heating plastic up to 500F, it's not getting that hot, otherwise it would be melted and burn the hell out of me while I make sure it isn't getting warm. Plus, now that I've googled this, it's only the coal that get's that hot and most of that heat is immediately dissipated into the metal piece I use and the aluminium foil insulation. It's probably half that by the time it gets to the tube and it's probably even half of that once the heat is dispersed into the water.

The mocking wasn't meant in a mean way. I just find claims that everything is going to harm you is funny. I mean, in a way it's true that you have a risk of being struck by lighting, but expecting it and worrying about it is just like selling all of your furniture because you're have a chance at winning the lottery, even if it is just small. lol I know perfectly well what's appreciated and not appreciated here on GC, though. I'm a very active, well known and liked participant here. You're pretty much a brand new user, which is probably why you don't know me and didn't catch my humour. Sorry for not putting enough winking faces. :smoke: If I were a bully, though, I would've been banned 6,000+ post ago. People like me, I'm friendly, I was just joking. Lighten up a bit. :D :wave: I do agree that we don't need bullies here on GC, though. I try to do a lot to ensure there aren't any, like reminding people of the positive vibe we have here. Kind of like you just reminded me to be more considerate of newbs who might not recognise my humour or that I'm a nice guy immediately. I think I might start introducing myself to the new blades so they don't take my posts the wrong way. :smoke: +Rep for giving me a good idea. :hello: