Accepting Death

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by BayAreaToker, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Have you accepted death? If so, how did you do it? What are your views on death and dying?

2. My mother took her life when I was 9, and I grew up partly living with my grandma, and she died when I was 10 or so.
    You accept that everyone dies.
    You rationalize this by believing there could be something else, or you find comfort knowing that there's nothing afterward and your just gone (me).

I try not to think about it overall, and just live life the best you can (which can mean anything, whatever is making you happy).

3. I've come to accept death. It is what makes life worth living IMO.

4. Ive accepted death. Its the only thing that everyone in the world must ALL experience, and it isnt something that should be feared. Life is full of emotions, pain, experience, and so many other things. After death, there is no more pain, no more sorrow and no more emotion.
    I believe we are just spirits trapped in this physical form for the time being before we pass on to the "after life".

5. I was forced to accept death early in my life like adeline (sorry to hear that btw) My Father died when i was 11 from lung cancer. At young ages like that a close death can literally devistate your life and alter a part of you. In the past 4 years while i was attending school, 5 of my pupils died. During the same time my grandmother passed.

Another thing that's crazy is when you see someone die when you're out n public. I was at an out-door shopping center and i saw a lady on a bicycle get hurled over a car like a ragdoll. The driver sped off while the lady just layed there bleeding out.

Tis a crazy world, and like it or not, we are all forced to accept death one way or another.

6. I've always thought about it. How could you not think about it? Death comes way too easy to not think about it.

I used to have a horrible fear of death. I hoped there was an afterlife, but not knowing was always really scary to me. I think my fear of death is what caused me to be such a hypochondriac all the time. It was just like, this weird anxiety all the time. An anxiety about everything about my body, always wondering if it's going to go to shit soon and how and wondering if I'm going to get cancer and stuff. It all came from a fear that life is all there is and death is nothingness.

Then I started smoking weed which seemed to cut the anxiety down, but didn't really eliminate the fear of death, just made me feel more spiritual. Then I tripped a few times on substances which cannot be named and after the second experience tripping I was convinced that there is something after death. I'm not completely convinced on what, but I have some really good ideas through all sorts of research I've done over the past year or so.

I have no fear of death anymore because I know that my body is just a vessel, I know that when I die I will still exist and will continue to exist forever in one form or another.

7. I managed to accept death because I dont know where I read this or if I even did, but fear of death is unreasonable as well as egotistic. We are afraid of something we do not know, we assume it might be bad therefore we fear this. When you accept that death in all probabilities is nothing like what you expect, its just a gamble.

8. Perhaps we'll return to the place we were before we were born. Since we have no recollection of fear before we were born...the same could be true of our afterlife.

9. What everyone has said here only refers to their beliefs and assumptions. Has anyone here actually been through an experience where they felt they were about to die?

[​IMG]

10. I try not to think about it
    If when you die its all over..I wouldnt like that
    But if there is an eternal afterlife...Then I'd be bored as hell. And without death, where's the meaning of that eternal life?

11. Realization of Truth on Death Bed

The effort in achieving the grace of the Lord is the most important goal of human life. This point will be realized when the human being is in the last minute of this life cycle because at that time of juncture, the upper world starts appearing practically to the eyes through the arrived messengers of Lord. Unfortunately there will be no time for spiritual effort at that juncture, even though realization comes.

Lord Jesus told me the following two verses and asked me to memorise these two verses ten times a day so that the mind will be fixed on God. The first verse means ‘At the time of death the last knowledge dawns to the mind by which the human being realizes that for those whom he has spent his energy and lifetime, are unable to protect him from that moment onwards. The Lord who can protect is not arriving then because no time and energy was spent for Him'. The second verse means ‘When the time was there, this realization did not come and when the realization came, there is no time. By this the human being undergoes silent suffering, which is the agony'. Lord told me that every human being will be given this last knowledge and this agony in the last couple of moments. I started remembering these verses every day ten times and the result of their memory is this wonderful divine knowledge.
    At the Lotus Feet of His Holiness Sri Dattaswami

Anil Antony

www.universal-spirituality.org
    Universal Spirituality for World Peace

12. what comforts me, as some of you have mentioned, is that everyone goes through death. so at least i dont have to go through the slightly daunting journey alone.
    i no longer believe in religion, but i was raised catholic and had to go to church every week. as a kid, when i had confidence that there is a heaven and my biggest fear wasnt death, but the idea of an eternal afterlife. i remember just thinking to myself foreverandeverandeverandeverandeverandever... for some reason this thought was more scary than anything else.
    although i do not have faith in this, my HOPE is that when we die we go into a state of blissful rest with the occasional consciousness and ability to communicate with others who have died and after a long recuperation, we are reincarnated. i would love to see what happens to the world.
    but all in all, i try not to worry about things that i cant prevent.

13. Use to think about death a lot, mostly when I started smoking because it made it all so surreal... but now, there's no need to think about it. Live your life to the fullest, you only have one life.

14. The only reason people fear something like death is because people have no idea what it is or what happens to them. People are scaried of what they dont know and thats why many people are religious because they want answers. However no one knows any of these answers for sure. I for one im natrualy some what scaried of death however i also know that its obviosuly a very natrual part of life which comforts me.

15. The body is a fortuitous concourse of atoms. There is no death for the body, only an exchange of atoms. Their changing places and taking different forms is what we call 'death.' It's a process which restores the energy level in nature that has gone down. In reality, nothing is born and nothing is dead.

16. The idea of death is always with us, we just don't usually know how far away it is. Because it can turn up unannounced, can we prepare for its arrival? And perhaps more to the point, should we?

I've been through a number of experiences where I've felt I was about to die. I'd like to share one of them with you.

Without going into the reason why at this time, about 20 years ago I was arrested. This is was happened:

My Solicitor asked me if I'd need him to stay while I went through the charging process as he was due to see another client; I said I didn't. I was brought before the custody Sergeant and the charges were officially read out. Another officer led me into a room directly behind the Sergeant's desk where the camera was already set up. He took a couple of shots from different angles, then asked me to sign something. When I asked him what it was he became strangely defensive and told me not to cause trouble. Perhaps he was finding the routine boring, or maybe he was bringing personal feelings into play - I didn't know. What I did know was that until this point I was just going through what was basically standard procedure. Had my solicitor been present that's what would've happened. Things felt different suddenly - something wasn't right.

A little less sure of myself now, I said I'd like to read the form before I signed it. He became visibly angry at this, grabbed the front of my shirt and pulled me towards him. I stood there staring at the paper appearing to be reading it, but actually felt so shocked at his aggressive manner that, like a victim, I couldn't read a word.

Then, without any further warning, he grabbed me by the throat and hoisted me against the wall. He was shouting and swearing; spit flew out of his mouth. His grip was so strong that I simply couldn't breathe and I could feel his nails digging painfully into my neck. Yet, strange as it may seem, I felt no sense of panic or even a desire to do anything about it. I was completely at peace. I noticed this strange calmness about myself, and as I did, I experienced a peculiar tingling sensation throughout the whole length of my body. In that moment I was certain that what was happening was exactly as it should be.

I wasn't breathing, and hadn't done so for ages, yet it felt like I just didn't need to anymore. I was getting lighter and lighter, and then I realised I was about to die.

When I was younger I used to have feelings that I'd somehow know when the moment of my death was going to be, so I found myself surrendering to the possibility that this was that time. I calmly waited to observe whatever the experience was going to be like. I just waited and watched, looking deep into his eyes. All the shouting had stopped by this point. I was just quietly being strangled.

Throughout the whole experience I'd given no indication that his actions were having any effect on me. So I let out a small sound. Nothing major, just something to remind him that were he to continue doing this there would be serious consequences for both of us. I saw his eyes widen slightly, just for an instant; it was such a small movement. In that moment I watched as realisation took place, and he let go of my neck. The atmosphere changed completely. The hate and anger were gone.

The colour had drained from his face, and he stood holding onto the table as if he might lose his balance without it. I sat down and considered what had just happened. My doubting him, even though it should not have provoked such a reaction, was the only reason I could see as to why this experience had occurred. As I thought further, a wave of humility swept right through me. I stopped considering it, looked him straight in the eyes, and said with complete sincerity: “I'm sorry.” He looked at me for what must have been ten seconds, then asked softly if I'd now sign the form. Without further hesitation I walked over and signed it without trying to read any part of it. He led me outside and took my fingerprints. He was patient and calm but he didn't say another word during the remaining process.

What was the form he'd asked me to sign? It was the piece of paper my fingerprints were put onto. Asking me to sign it was probably just his way of speeding up what was undoubtedly a boring, routine process.

So what did I mean when I said I could see no reason for the attack other than because I doubted?

Until things kicked off, I'd felt certain that not only should I let everything occur as it was, but that it was absolutely the right thing for me to go through. From the moment I allowed him to affect me, instead of just following his lead and getting through the process, I doubted myself and everything changed.

Psychologists say the usual response to being attacked is fight or flight. Our self-preservation instinct cuts in as we perceive a situation to be life threatening. Yet here I was, certain that this man was taking my life, and not only not trying to do anything about it, but feeling like I was ready and willing to go.

[​IMG]

17. Death, biologically, is a part of life. While I may not have "accepted" it, I've come to realize that whether I accept it or not, it doesn't matter. Everyone dies. My philosophy is to live your life to the fullest and don't let the little things get to you, since you only do die anyway.

18. Are you saying you don't think that how you die, or in what state of mind you are when it happens, matters then?

[​IMG]

19. My god, didn't you press charges or anything? I mean all you did was ask to read what he was asking you to sign, which you're definitely obliged to do anyway. I don't understand what provoked him. Did you take any action?

20. When you learn how to die gracefully, you will know how to live gracefully.