Acceptance vs Adjustment

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Mortikai, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Is it best to accept yourself and love yourself for who you are or make room for changes when it becomes apparent that making a change in your life could make you a better person, with better character?

If you notice one of these potential changes should you jump at the chance to make yourself a better person if you already believe your a good person? I believe we should always strive to be the best us we can be, but what if inherently we are not so good? And what if the best we can be is at being a bad person?

Should we strive for morale superiority even if in doing so we cause our life to fall into a downward spiral, or should be cut those morale corners every now and again if it solidifies a spot for us in this beautiful world?

And when all they ever tell you growing up is to "be a kid while you can and make your mistakes" they still get so damn mad when you do just that! :p:p

2. Yeah, I agree with what you're saying. There are no rules, just laws, you could say. You can ignore the necessary positive transformation but of course you'll live with yourself following your choice. Will you like it is up to you.

3. would be nice and make the world a better place, but people are much more concerned with surviving than sacrifice.

4. I don't see why you can't do both. You can accept the things about you which you cannot change, and try to better yourself in areas where you can change. The only problem with this I can foresee is people telling themselves,

"I'm a racist.. I'll always be a racist. It's something I can't change."

This is why I dislike it when people say "Oh, he'll never change."

How do you know?(You don't, first of all, this is merely your prediction, your certainty of which would be unwarranted.)

And if you don't know, why skew the debate, why poison the well? Why throw a wrench in the machine? See if they'll change. If they're wrong, kindly help them to change. You could learn that -you-re- the one who is wrong and end up changing yourself, in a dramatic display of irony. Which is great, mostly in hindsight. This is the way human beings will make progress.

Things like philosophical positions can always change, which is why I advocate a skeptical look on everything, and advocate a rejection of certainty, and advocate asking questions in order to evaluate yourself and others, and continue to re-evaluate. The alternative to this is really scary to me.