AC, Calculating air conditioner size

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jzchillin, Apr 1, 2011.

1. #21 SumWon, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
    This is gonna come in real handy when I start finishing my grow room or helping me decide to wait on it, lol. Summer here gets in the 120s and the room is 10'x11' and a 2.5'x6' closet with one wall facing sun in evening. And its always hottest room in house during summer. Its gonna be tough keeping it cool, lol. Its dry though wonder if I can get away with evaporative coolers? Well thanks for the info =)

2. nah, man. i don't think those are going to do much of anything. I am busting into the heatpump this year. the lines that cool the house will be pumped into the grow room filtered out and i'm putting the ac thermosta in the warmest room.. it ill most likely run all summer but my baby'z will be nice and cool. :D

3. Calculation is not my area of interest but besides all the theoretical information you explained calculation very well. We all know that Air conditioner size plays very vital role in quick and healthy grow.

4. Thanks kelly

5. hi,
    I am trying to keep the temp lower in my friend grow tent.... the setting:
    2x1000hps cool tube with a 400cfm running from one side to another of the tent so i dont need to filter that air
    1x grow tent 5x10x6.5
    1x 480cfm outtake fan filtered
    1x portable ac 12k btu as inline fan
    2x standing fan (dunno how u call it) to move the air inside
    the problem is the outside temp is very warm, 35c so even with the ac i reach 34c with lamp on and 25c with lamp off
    how can i make the temp go lower?

6. Or just get a 15,000 BTU AC for a 4x4x8 tent with a 600 W Lumatek. Run that MF on low @ 70 degrees. Not even running it at a quarter of its full power & my room stays a constant 75.

7. So according to my calculations....

I have a 10ft wide, 8ft long, and 7 foot tall grow room. I'm going to need around 6,000 btu's? 

8. I don't think you will be happy with 6000 btu's. I would go with no less than 8000. You always want more than you think you need. Maybe as high as 12000. My room is 16ft long, 8ft wide, 7ft tall. I have three 1000w cool tube lights, ventilated, drawing air from the room. My air intake is at the 12000 btu airconditioner which has its own exhaust out of the room. I would have gone even larger if I had the amps to run a larger one.
    The size of your room is only one factor in deciding BTU's. You need to consider , how many lights you have , at what wattage, and how you are ventilating the room. You need fresh air unless you use co2.  Will that air be hot and need conditioning?

9. Well the room I was deciding to grow in was my closet, only it doesn't have a door. Just a beaded door. So basically no door. If I were to grow in my other closet with is roughly 3 ft long, 2 ft wide, and 7 ft tall. What I'm thinking is since It's becoming winter heat is going to be my friend. I suppose I figured I'd add a few CFL's or something to boost the heat as I'll be growing with LED's

10. I would grow in your large closet, Damn thats a big closet (10ftx8ft). I would then make my own door, plywood could work. With making your own door you can cut holes in it for venilation, ect. It will take a plan and some figuring out, but can work. 3ft x 2ft is really small.

11. Wow lots of info

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. If a stand up ac is used...can it just be vented into a closet?also since using this seem to hv lost the killer smell???

13. [quote name="king yield" post="19149636" timestamp="1386880015"]If a stand up ac is used...can it just be vented into a closet?also since using this seem to hv lost the killer smell???[/quote]Not sure what you setup is. You should elaborate.

14. Great post, I just came here to ask about a.c units....here goes

Just about to start my first grow in a Room H: 8ft W: 4ft L:3ft
    Using a dwc setup with respect placed outside room.
    2-4 plants
    1 1200w LED light with custom spectrum
    1 oscalating fan inside the room and a phresh carbon filter and fan to scrub air and keep it circulating.
    I'm planning on sealing my room and adding co2 enrichment
    My only problem is the ac unit...
    I have been told for a grow that size I shouldn't need an ac unit as I should be able to provide enough fresh air and vent the hot air by opening the door to my grow a couple times a day...is this the case?

I really want to have as many things dialed in a possible before I start my grow but ac units currently seem to be out my budget after shelling out as much as I have in all my equipment.

Any help would be great

15. [quote name="hiddenkoncept" post="19199053" timestamp="1387562572"]Great post, I just came here to ask about a.c units....here goesJust about to start my first grow in a Room H: 8ft W: 4ft L:3ftUsing a dwc setup with respect placed outside room. 2-4 plants1 1200w LED light with custom spectrum 1 oscalating fan inside the room and a phresh carbon filter and fan to scrub air and keep it circulating.I'm planning on sealing my room and adding co2 enrichmentMy only problem is the ac unit...I have been told for a grow that size I shouldn't need an ac unit as I should be able to provide enough fresh air and vent the hot air by opening the door to my grow a couple times a day...is this the case?I really want to have as many things dialed in a possible before I start my grow but ac units currently seem to be out my budget after shelling out as much as I have in all my equipment.Any help would be great[/quote]With led's you shouldn't have a problem with heat.

16. That ks for the advice man but I have actually decided to go down the route of no co2 for now. I didn't have the money for an a/c and decided it would probably be better to start of small and work my way up,

17. Starting small is good in aome cases. Learning your system before adding co2 is a good idea. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. make the a/c cool the room...and run the exhaust into the attic/or outside of house

19. I feel like im in math class lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app