Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Abuse of Medical Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by 08barkerj, May 3, 2011.

1. Hey, well I'm very new here so it's possible that this has been brought up before but yeah, here's just something which I've always thought about the American cannabis dispenseries..

Am I the only person who would feel (or feels) slightly morally unsound about using the medical weed as a recreational drug? Now don't get me wrong, I love cannabis just as much as the next person, and even though I'm not from the states, if I was I'd certainly take advantage of it, but I'd still feel a bit bad about the fact that it is intended for medical use, and if the amount of abuse that it gets was to cause it to end some day (Even though it probably won't) then those who actually do need it would sevearly suffer - and that's what I have against people abusing the scheme. I know that the entire scheme itself was set up by recreational users since they couldn't get the bill passed to have it decriminalised/legalised but I once watched a documentery about the use of cannabis, which showed how it was abused in the US by people just wanting an easy way to get what's said to be the best bud in the world, and then compared it to how someone here in England who had some form of genetic disease that causes things like muscle spasms etc, and the person who had the condition found that the most effective drug, including every drug that was made to specifically treat the symptoms was in fact good ol' cannabis - of course, it couldn't be prescribed in the UK to treat it as it's illegal..

So really what I'm saying is, I'd hate to feel responsible for taking away the only cure to a horrible condition, and that's why I'd feel unsound using medical marijuana.. (Even though obviously I'd still do it)..

Anyones opinions on this?

2. If you ask me, the prohibition of cannabis and the bullshit behind it will never be better than abusing mmj.

I personal, enjoy the recreational aspects of cannabis, and i also use it medicinally to treat migraines (have a long file of my medical history, and how my migraines vanished at age 15, when i started toking, and they returned when i took my one and only month long hiatus from cannabis when i wa 17, turning 18. Now almost 22, i am POSITIVE cannabis treats my migraines, and ive had multiple doctors agree.... but i also use it recreationally...

I find this better than the person using opiates to treat pain, who become addicted and stop using it for pain and end up buying it elsewhere to sooth their addiction

3. Did you ever think of the abuse of other medicated drugs. Like stated above opiates, painkillers. How about those they are being abused for recreational use. Now i see where your going that people lie and say they have conditions not saying that isnt true but dont aim this towards the people that actually benefit from it.

4. Anything can be abused. But to me, substance abuse is when it conflicts with your life. If you got high and didn't do your course work, or didn't do errands that you were supposed to do by a certain time, then yes, you are abusing the substance.

5. #5 narcissistic, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
    No I don't believe you are alone in the thought because I always wonder how the deaths that alcohol cause is acceptable & morale concerning the abuse of non medical/ recreational alcohol.

Do you consume alcohol & how do you feel about its recreational use?

"I am sooooo fucked.......YES?"

6. It's not so much that I have a problem with people using the medical marijuana recreationally, it's just the idea that if because of all the recreational users, they realised that it was being abused to that point and then banned the medical weed, then the people who really did need it couldn't get it, and with marijuana being such a touchy subject amongst politicians, if there's enough evidence to support it's abuse, I reckon it could easily be banned..

Although hopefully all the talk about legalisation will become reality allowing both medical and recreational users to be able to use it without risk of it being banned completely..

7. Yeah but the difference is that alcohol has pretty much no medical benefits, infact all it does is kill cells..

Where as weed (The wonder drug :p) has all the good things like drastically slowing cancer, reducing the symptoms of the disease I was on about in the original post, helping sleep, helping depression and many many more.. :p

8. #8 narcissistic, May 3, 2011
    I agree & thats pretty much the message I meant to relay .
    Of course it would be unacceptable to deprive one on their much needed meds due to recreational abuse.
    just as it is even more unacceptable to totally destroy someone & take them from their loved ones due to recreational abuse.
    Don't believe the lies "reality is a prison....You're mind can set you free"

I believe no one will ever be held be accountable for past, present & future tragic Anarchy. & I don't mean weed

"I am sooooo fucked.......YES?"

9. oh...you mean like pain relief medications...DEA has Dr's afraid to write a prescription for any painkillers, chronic sufferers have to go without...they just suffer, and suffer, developing mental issues like depression, suicidal thoughts to escape the pain...is that what you mean?:mad:

10. #10 Kronikkk, May 3, 2011
    I'm not really getting your point here. It's probably because you're not from America that you seem to have no concept of the social and political atmosphere here. It's common knowledge this substance is abused. Sorry for being that asshole that puts shit in bolded words to make a point, but I feel like that's what you're just not getting. Everyone knows people bullshit their doctors to get medical cards and can get weed without any real serious ailment. Yes, the system is flawed. But what system isn't? You can't prevent EVERY single exception from occuring. And honestly, as an American, I don't really f**king care. Seriously, what the f*ck do I care if you're high? It's none of my business. And honestly, it's better having a bunch of stoned dudes chilling on the grass at the park looking up at the stars than a drunk douchebag stumbling around terrorizing small children who are trying to play on the slide. The drug is awesome, and if anything it makes people a lot chiller. Sure it's frustrating dealing with weedheads ("Wait.....What did you just say?"; "....just nevermind dude"), but it's wayy better than dealing with a drunk. What people do to their own bodies is none of my business, and I dont care if they use a so-called "medicinal" substance recreationally. Honestly, I'd rather it be legalized. But it seems the only way you can keep both the bitch anti-drug soccer moms and the skater-hair, dgaf stoner population happy simultaneously is to decriminalize. So for now, I'm fine with that. Long as it's easy to get a perscrip.

So in a nutshell, no one's going to do anything about this so called "abuse" of marijuana that frequently occurs. No one cares enough. And the people that do are a completely outnumbered minority.

11. I'm not sure what you're getting at there.. In relation to the bit you put in bold I meant that if the people higher up than whoever controls whether the state has mmj or not (I know it's a vote, but they could put an end to it any time) happens to be against recreational use of weed, and then points out how the majority of use appears to be recreational, they will completely cut the medical marijuana, so that the people with cancer will be forced to look on the black market to cure them of their symptoms.. All so that people can get stoned..

The people who abuse things like morphine, codeine, anti-depressents etc. are not the same as the people who abuse the mmj. Those people mostly have addictions, whether physical or phsychological, as a normal person in the street would not go out of their way to get prescription medication of that sort.. Cannabis however is a completely different drug to a lot of people, and is not an addiction (to most users), it's just anywhere between a bit of fun and a way of life, either way people who have cannabis cards smoke weed because they enjoy it, not because they are dependant on it as with things such as opioids and anti-depressants.. That's the reason why doctors are pressured not to prescribe such drugs, as they are abused by addicts. However they do remain vital drugs for far more serious pain, not mild pain and aches such as back pain and certainly not designed for prolonged use..

12. Yeah I know that everyone knows it's abused, I mentioned it before when I was on about how medical marijuana came to be because of stoners basically losing on the bill to decriminalise, so they came back with it being for medicine... The point I'm making is that many higher ups don't understand the stoner way, they see all drugs as bad, and many higher ups also still see marijuana as a supposedly dangerous drug.. I know that people are slowly starting to accept it isn't, but you have to remember that there is still quite a lot of very powerful people who are strict religious people, who go to church on sundays and also don't believe in sex before marriage - these people have been brought up against cannabis, and will always be against it. They're the reason that there are raids on the dispenceries as it is still viewed as dealing in the eyes of the country, just not in the eyes of the state..

13. The "people higher up" can indict whoever they want that is involved with mmj at their f**king disgression. They dont need a reason like the one you are mentioning. It's illegal by federal law. They have the supremacy clause of the constitution on their side. It really just depends on who's in power how often dispensaries/grow houses are raided. I'm just saying though I don't know why you're asking a question that requires a fundamental knowledge of US government and politics when you lack sufficient knowledge of said government. Study the constitution and laws before asking questions like this that are related to the mechanics of our country's political system.

14. Lol is it just me or did you just answer your own question. There are constantly raids on dispensaries, regardless of how people use/abuse the substance. There are people that don't believe in it, and that is all that matters. Idk why people "abusing" the substance is going to change that. Some higher ups, like you said, are just uneducated on this matter. Therefore, they are going to raid dispensaries regardless of people abusing the substance. That might anger them a bit, but they're already against it. People have been using mj in the US recreationally since the second it sprouted on American soil. And since then there have also been people against it. Widespread recreational use of a drug doesnt have much to do with someone's personal ideology regarding that drug, because recreational use is a constant. There will always be recreational users, of every drug. Therefore the concept of recreational use is irrelevant in the decision to raid dispensaries and stop mmj from reaching patients/"those evil abusers that just wanna get high."

15. theres no such thing as abusing fun :eek:

16. It's my body, I do what I want? :D

17. Granted that probably around 90% (don't quote me on this, this is just a figure that popped into my head from somewhere, it may be true but also may not be) of people with cannabis cards are abusers of the medical marijuana scheme, there would be a hell of a lot less dispenseries, and if the federal government knew that the only people with access to the cannabis were those who truely needed it, then I imagine that it would become about the same legal status as morphine etc. Thus they wouldn't even have dispenseries in the first place as a regular pharmacy would easily be able to do the trick, thus I VERY much doubt that it would be raided by the federal government..

So really I imagine that the only reason they're getting raided is because of the abuse, so in a way you've only helped me realise how my initial point is potentially the case..

As it is, just because you - as enough of a stoner to firstly know what you're on about in this subject, but also as enough of a stoner to be on a forum site completely dedicated to the consumption of cannabis - don't care about people sitting around stoned doesn't mean others don't..

In Britain we have a massive drinking culture, so almost all of the country walking around mortal isn't anywhere near as bad as walking around stoned.. To many people weed is considered a very bad drug with mind altering capabilities.. Just because you can't think like that doesn't mean others don't... If people thought it was for healing only they wouldn't care in the slightest, and even if they did, who's going to argue with a cancer patient about whether it helps or not..? So really it's only the recreational use that causes any problem at all..

I'm not against recreational use of cannabis by any means, I just think that people are abusing the system, and that if people want cannabis, it should either be legalised or they should have to aquire it off the black market.. My overall point is that abuse will lead to things getting banned, this is a general rule of thumb and can be applied to anything, whether I know the full extent of the United States Federal law - or not. Although despite that I am aware of a vast majority of it, due to the amount of documenteries made in england about the American dispenseries, as well as American films based around it advertising it to the general public..

Super High Me is a perfect example of this abuse.. Yeah it's one of the coolest things ever, but it's still abuse of medicine..

18. Wait, we're talking about America right? Everything you said about Britian is therefore irrelevant, if we're talking about America like i thought. And like I said before, the fact that people indulge in recreational use is also irrelevant. But, assuming that it isn't, you just said (I bolded it) people should either legalize it or get it off the black market, which is completely contradictory to your beliefs that "abuse will lead to it getting banned." Um, if it's available on the black market, it will be "abused" (which is a stupid word thats just a synonym for reckless recreational use. this isn't an issue with cannabis this is an issue with the person that should be dealt with via their own means, not the governments), so I don't know what you're getting at there. You're starting a debate over something that isn't even worth debating over. So basically what I've concluded is you're arguing for the sake of arguing. My point, however, (and i'll bold it again) is that everyone is currently and has been aware that marijuana is abused for years and it has not caused any major rift in the system, nor has it caused its collapse - it's highly likely that "abuse" of marijuana never will, based on the general trend of mmj's influence in the states only increasing over the past fifteen years.

19. I don't think you've understood me properly, it's not the abuse of marijuana I have a problem with, it's the abuse of the scheme. People can do what they want for all I care, but not if it effects other people, and the abuse of the scheme has a chance of stopping the scheme for the people who truely need it, that's the entire point of this thread basically, it's just my opinion on a subject..

And also yes, we are on about America, but if you look, a surprising amount of British and American legislation is VERY similar..

20. Oh and yes, everyone is aware of this.. What you have to remember is that as I've been saying, a lot of people view recreational use of cannabis as bad, and if all they're seeing is recreational use, they're gonna want to ban it. It's hardly getting smaller.. A few is fine, they expect that, but not a vast majority.. Some peoples minds can't be changed, and that's what's going to have to be accepted.. I reckon weed will become legalised within the next century, but patience is a virtue..

If people wanted weed legal for recreational use, they'd have done one of two things:

1) Made it legal
    2) Made it easier to get a cannabis card (I'm sure there is a couple of states who won't prescribe for everything)

If everyone was so relaxed about weed like you say, they'd have probably made it legal within the last 15 years, don't you think?