Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Abstract- Quitting opioids with Cannabis.

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Storm Crow, Apr 8, 2018.

1. #1 Storm Crow, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Nice little abstract on quitting opioids by using cannabis!

Accuracy of Patient Opioid Use Reporting at the Time of Medical Cannabis License Renewal. (abst – 2018) Accuracy of Patient Opioid Use Reporting at the Time of Medical Cannabis License Renewal. - PubMed - NCBI

The decision to authorize a patient for continued enrollment in a state-sanctioned medical cannabis program is difficult in part due to the uncertainty in the accuracy of patient symptom reporting and health functioning including any possible effects on other medication use. We conducted a pragmatic convenience study comparing patient reporting of previous and current prescription opioid usage to the opioid prescription records in the Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP) among 131 chronic pain patients (mean age = 54; 54% male) seeking the first annual renewal of their New Mexico Medical Cannabis Program (NMMCP) license.

Seventy-six percent of the patients reported using prescription opioids prior to enrollment in the NMMCP, however, the PMP records showed that only 49% of the patients were actually prescribed opioids in the six months prior to enrollment.Of the 64 patients with verifiable opioid prescriptions prior to NMMCP enrollment, 35 (55%) patients reported having eliminated the use of prescription opioids by the time of license renewal. PMP records showed that 26 patients (63% of patients claiming to have eliminated the use of opioid prescriptions and 41% of all patients with verifiable preenrollment opioid use) showed no prescription opioid activity at their first annual NMMCP renewal visit.

(I added the space to make it 2 paragraphs for easier reading- otherwise it's copy and paste from PubMed)

It's a small study, but a verified elimination of opioids in 41% of patients is pretty darn good, and I expect many of the remainder were able to reduce their intake of opioids. Previous studies have had similar results.

If our government was serious about ending the opioid epidemic, full and total legalization of cannabis would be a good first step!

Granny :wave:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Merci grand-mère! I was encouraged to see John Boehner's quote yesterday. “I’m convinced de-scheduling the drug is needed so we can do research, help our veterans, and reverse the opioid epidemic ravaging our communities,” Mr. Boehner wrote on Twitter, referring to how the federal government classifies marijuana.

3. Thanks Granny! This mirrors my personal experience. Over 10 years of gradually increasing doses. I would cold turkey every other year and swap between synthetic opioids to control the doses, always afraid of finally getting some sleep, but not waking up.

I reduced my opioids intake at home, while giving up other drugs that treated the opioid induced depression and anxiety. I could not have done this without MJ. My opioids intake is now about 1/4 or less since I started MJ. Huge improvement in my mental and emotional state! It was two weeks sick as a dog and months getting to where I felt like myself again. What a blessing!

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 JMcGD, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    family member just went to Cali for treatment after a 14 year ride on opiates. He was near death. Long story drastically shortened... the cannabis treatment he received allowed him to eliminate the daily double dose of Oxy and six Percocet. It took six weeks, but he will take the last of the Percocet today! Almost a seamless transition for him, other than some stomach cramping the week that they cut out the Oxy. 4: 1 cbd oil and edibles was all he used.
    Towards the end of the treatment, his asthma spiked badly. It was during Easter weekend and he didn’t want to bother his doctor so he stopped taking his cannabinoids to see if they were the cause. Within 8 hours, ALL the symptoms of full on withdrawals came rushing back, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cramps etc. These had all been suppressed by the cannabis. It turned out to be the dusty apartment he rented combined with spring pollen that sparked the asthma... back onto his treatment and all was good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I thought we couldn't talk about other things? Anyway, I can attest to the beauty of using bud to get off opiates. I did and I been clean from them for over 2 years. Strictly cannabis now for me.

6. It worked for me. I was on 200mg/day Tramadol for almost three years before I realized the folly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. That"s great JM! This mirrors my experience but I had no one to really help and limited resources, but MJ still got me through it, I just spent some time in bed and the pot! Lol Opiates just kill the digestion!!
    :icgreen: