Absolutely new to growing....a few questions before I start

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BrodenBoy, Mar 18, 2016.

1. He all I'm very new to growing (as in haven't even got my seeds yet) I am researching the shit out of this venture before I pick stuff up.
    So first question is what strain I should go with? I like mainly sativa but a hybrid with mostly sativa is great as I am doing an auto - flower for my first and probably just one or two plants of same strain I also want a strain that will stay reletively small but is known to have big yields and relatively easy to grow.
    If anyone has any suggestions please fire them up.....I also will be doing a log when Im all setup and ready I'm building a grow box and will be using CFL's as my light source.....Is it necessary to have exhaust for fresh/stale air with a box only 1 or 2 plants with CFL's I will have a fan or two blowing on them.

2. Northern Lights has a good to high yield and is very forgiving for beginners. I would put White Widow just a step below that. Also pretty easy but maybe not quite the same quantity.

To learn more about possible strains it is worth downloading the Leafly app. A little time on there might help you finalize your decision.

Be kind. Perfect your craft. Give more than you take. We are family.

• Like Like x 4
  3. I have the top and bottom of my box as well as a light I rigged put of a PowerBar and some plug/light sockets I'm gonna have 4 of the 2700k and probably 2 of the 6700k I made a homemade hood as well from reflective duct tape lol its ghetto but hopefully will put out a decent plant and give me some first hand experience....I expect to learn through trial and error and If I get some good smoke out of this run I'll be more than happy.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. I'm gonna have 4 lights in the hood and 2 on cords and hooks I can move around the plants I will have a couple small fans as well but not sure how I'm gonna incorporate them....maybe just conventional fans or maybe some out of a computer tower????
    You guys think it's enough light for one auto?

5. If you're going to do it with CFLs, you better as many of them as you can cram into that box safely. CFLs veg a plant nicely, if you have enough of them like those you're using, but when it comes time to flower off a plant, though they will flower one, they really lack in punch. CFLs leave you with very arid and fluffy buds...not the dense juicy big ones everybody tries to grow. It's just not a good enough light source to do that. However, since you're growing in a very confined space, about the only other option you would have because of heat issues with hps lamps, is to use LED. The LEDs flower off wonderful buds but to get one that's worth anything, it'll cost you some serious bucks. The technology is there, but they're just not common enough at this point to cause the price on them to fall. Don't be lured into buying one of those super cheap LEDs off Ebay either. You're totally wasting your time and money with those. Just go ahead and do a couple of runs with the CFLs. It'll be excellent growing experience for when you are able to upgrade your lights and get a bit more serious with it. You might consider putting extra lamps down under the canopy when you go into flower with your plant, since the biggest issue with that kind of lighting is that it's not strong enough to penetrate the canopy itself and nothing much develops under there.

I would advise researching the "how to" part of growing these plants along with learning about the equipment and creating a setup to grow with. Most people skip that part because it's just seeds and dirt, right? NOT.... Growing these inside is done differently than anything I've ever grown in my life and there are definitely some things you need to know and understand that I consider the "basics" of indoor growing. If you don't take the time and read up on these, you'll have problems from the very beginning keeping your plant growing and healthy. Read up on: pH of water/feeds and correct range. What happens if you don't keep your pH in the correct range. How to know when your plant actually needs water. How to water the plant the right way. What kind of soil these plants want and need to thrive. What size container to choose. What nutes are and when they actually need to be started (hint hint....not just days after the seedling sprouts like most people I see on here who don't know what they're doing (LOL)). How much your plants actually need of added nutrition to thrive. There is a bunch of stuff that, if you take the time to read up on it, will really put you ahead in the game when you actually do get a seed to sprout. You can do it "fly by the seat of your plants," but it'll be a terribly stressful and lackluster experience. Good luck. Hope all goes well for you. TWW

• Like Like x 2
  6. For sure brother! I 150% agree... I am pretty much reading 24/7 right now and I'm not starting anything until I have everything I need and some ☺I am a hobby bodybuilder also so I have no problem putting time and work into something and continually striving to perfect it.
    I was thinking about just dishing out the $$$ and getting a tent and Hps etc.... but I'm gonna do it budget style first few runs and then gradually upgrade I think it will be great learning experience I've always wanted to grow since I was a little fart I'm 30 and finally giving it a go I grew up in BC so I was into cannabis very young and now I'm in NFLD and want to grow myself some nice strains that are not common here and some with a bit of nostalgia lol.

7. appreciate the suggestion brother will definitely keep eye on those ones

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'm thinking about making up a bigger box..... what you guys suggest is a good size box for 1-2 plants? I like the idea of Rubbermaid containers they are so cheap and I've seen some decent plants grown in them what size/dimension you guys suggest?

9. #9 Stay_Blazed, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    You can stack rubbermaids as the plants grow add onto the box, fans are a must even though they are only CFLs. You can have intake/exhaust if u wanna get all fancy but poor mans way is opening the door 24/7 with fan blowing in. My suggestion is dont go with hps or anything that gets too hot without proper ventilation, rubbermaid HPS is asking for a fire if u ask me.

Plant height can be controlled through shorter veg, low stress training, ect. Keep a eye out for the shorter strains that still have high yield.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  10. Also fans are not only for keeping your box cool, a healthy mmj plant must have airflow

Sent from my LGLS620 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. ICE has been a pretty good strain for me.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. I forgot to mention in my OP I am gonna be growing an auto just because it seems easier for my 1st and I want a nice short plant mainly sativa known to have decent yield

• Like Like x 1
  13. So your saying I can start her off in just the one box and add to the box as it grows? that is perfect..... I was gonna do a closet grow but this gives me more to do lol I like building things...

• Like Like x 1
  14. If u wanna keep a shorter plant i would get regular fem seeds, you can control veg length before they exploded in flower and take up your whole space. Although autos might be good for newbs most dont yield as well as there regular sisters. Just some thoughts cheers

15. I keep my sativa short by vegging with only 6500k cfls. Less red.

Then you can do first 4 weeks of bloom with only 6500k then switch to 2100k for the remainder of the bloom.

This should keep your plants extremely thick stock and branches, and less stretch.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  16. Keep those CFLs close as well OP, what they lack in penetration they make up for in cost +safety

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks guys for the help....I'm now doing some mad research on ph,Temps,humidity,etc..... went and picked up ph tester as well as thermometer and humidity meter.
    For now the real hard decision is what strain to grow as I'm pretty much set on Auto flower but don't know what strain.............I also think I'm convinced to use my closet now and grow 2 lol.

18. I've got like 8 adapters for cfls and 2 brand new trouble lamps so I can have 10 otg is that overkill or?....... I have a couple power bars and one surge protector which I have all lamps on and I'm gonna buy a couple fans tomorrow and pretty sure my closet is replacing the Rubbermaid lol the wife is semi-on board lol.

19. Thanks will def. keep this mind I read about this as well so was sorta leaning toward this I also have a few 6700k

20. Guys there doesn't seem to be alot of hydroponics shops here on Island anyone know any good websites? are there sponsors here on GC?