Absolute Newbie's Absolute First Time

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by gonejah17, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Hey man good to see you too. Yeah I got 3 baby white widow's and one big NL x BB. I do not have a thread for them however.

2. thats whatsup Vtec, good luck on ur grow. btw, u ever do any bon sai moms???

ima try to upload this vid see if it works. just a cheap cell phone vid of the ladies.

nope didnt work. Still workin on my ventilatoin issues but plants are looking good.

Updates soon.

3. so I really want to move my thread to the grow journal section. Any love?
    I hear all u need to do is ask an admin but I have no idea how to do that:confused:

also, man . . . . Ive been looking at other grow journals and I just gotta ask, WHY ARE MY PLANTS SO SMALL??? they've been growing for over a month and look at them!!!! I dont know man - shits frustrating!! I think maybe the initial stress and the transplanting and the 24/7 light in the beginning??? And maybe the fact that I did some trimming?? I know perky is doing well, and they all are really, but Legs and diva are just growing SOO slow. any tips??? thanks

4. Went to water my ladies and realized I forgot my camera!!!!

so all I have is this cell phone pic of the flowering room.

I have all the ladies under the HPS today cuz I wanna check something out . . .

I put 80 watts of T12s each on two walls and raised the HPS up to about 5 feet with the plants on the floor. Is this enough light? cuz its still like 87 deg. at plant level!!! Hmm heres the phone quality pic

[​IMG]

comments??

5. very nice man
    props on your progress

6. At 5 feet away that light is doing basically nothing. Get it to about 36 inches away if you are having ventilation issues. With no venting issues a 400 watt hps can be 6 inches off the tops. I got my 400 watt mh light about a foot off of my baby two week old WW's. I had it under there from the start. At 2 weeks they are already 6-7 inches tall with four nodes. If by bonsai the moms you mean just prune the shit out of them then yes.

7. Plant level temp STILL got up to 93 with the light like that at 5 feet!!!! So I had no choice but to turn the HPS off and put all the ladies back under the T5. ITs SOOOOO hot in cali in the summer man I gotta figure this ventilation out!!

Im sure the light is doing SOMETHING tho at 5 feet VTEC. I get ur point the true power of the light is lost on the plants at that distance. but it's STILL a light source and I bet u could put the plants in a dark room with just that light at 5 feet and theyd still grow, yeah??? not challenging u man just genuinely curious what u think.

Should I change my light shedule so the light is off during the hottest hours of the day??? Just think it'd be conspicuous cuz I dont have it light proofed and the neighboors next door can see in at night.

PS any guesses how to get this thread in the grow journal section?? I think Id get more responses yeah??

PPS JUST SAW THE LOVE, LIGHTBRINGER - THANKS MAN LETS HOPE THEY START GROWIN NOW LOL. GOT EM ON FF GROWBIG NOW. HALF STRENGTH!!! all but the twins of course

8. Yeah 93 is too hot. At 5 feet away, you provide the plant with probably enough light to keep it out of flowering. It is 400 watts right? Check out this chart. At 3 feet, the lumens are well into the "too far away" range. At 5 feet they have dropped off even more to a level that is just short of worthless or not even on the chart.

To move this thread PM one or all of the moderators of this board and ask if they can move it for you.

Attached Files:

9. I find it funny that my wattage and "distance from bulb" are so low that they are not even on the chart.

Gonejah, you don't have any CFL's in your grow room?

10. Gonejah I've had heat problems just like you. Its real hot where I live too...

Just add more fans and improve the air flow of the entire system. At first I thought I could do with one medium fan for the entire thing, but now I have 1 intake fan in the warehouse just next to the grow closet, it shoots fresh air from the outside right near the closet, then there is an intake fan in the closet that sucks in that fresh air, another outtake fan in the top of the closet that sucks it out and then there is another outtake fan for the warehouse. 4 fans total, and I'm gonna add another one soon. The air in the grow closet gets changed in under one minute (the recommended time is 5 mins) and I gotta tell you it has done wonders for the temperature. From 100 degrees I'm down to 90 degrees, which is still hot, but thats the best I can have because thats just how hot it is outside.

And Yes, i also make sure the hot hours of the day (10 in the morning to 6 in the evening) are the hours that the lamp is off. Yea it makes a few rays of light coming out of the warehouse at night, but I'm working on sealing that off.

11. thanks for all the responses. Ill get back to each of you once I soak it all in.

12. anyone else in cali sweatin their balls off??? Heres an update. My first update after having my thread moved to grow journals. WOO HOO!!! Hopefully Ill get more responses now.

So I screwed with the setup a little trying to figure out what Im going to do about this heat. Switched up the venting situation so my squirrel cage is sucking heat through the soon to be light proof door of the flower room up into and out of the squirrel cage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I kinda jimmy rigged it with the chain as u can see in the first pic so the ducting stays near the light, then it goes up and through a board I secured to the top of the door frame, and Im planning on hanging black plastic down from the board to cover the rest of the door frame and securing it with velcro or something.

[​IMG]
    So at first I had them about this far away, then I changed it to about 2 and a half feet cuz the temp was reading 84 and I figured I could move it closer . . .

[​IMG]
    So this pic sucks but if u can imagine I had the plants on the chair. this pic is before I moved the plants there I guess lol. I left them here for most of the day but it got up to 93 again at plant level so again I had to move them all back to the T5 again!! shit sucks Id really love to utilize the 50,000 lumens as opposed to to the 8,000 of the T5.

[​IMG]
    And heres a blurry pic of the ladies on the floor under the HPS. BTW no this bathroom is not operational i.e. no one comes in here to do the dirty deed lol

[​IMG]
    Heres perky under the HPS. NOW, Im seeing spots on perky. I think it might be heat related but check it out. first heres a pic of perky and then a close up of the spots. any help please!!!!!

[​IMG]
    PERKY, dancing in the wind.

[​IMG]
    And here's a pic of one of the spots. any advice????

[​IMG]
    Diva

[​IMG]
    Legs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Swazi

[​IMG]
    MK

[​IMG]
    Shorty

[​IMG]
    Stunner

And thats whatsup. they're looking alright, still growing slow. in a few days Im going to totally overhaul my ventilation situation, and Ill be updating with pics. If anyone can help me with the Perky spot situation, that would, again, be sugar tits.

thanks y'all peace!!!

13. Looks like some salt from spraying the leaves? They look good. I will be in Los Angeles next week for 3 weeks hence.

14. so u gonna be in LA, whachu sayin u want me to kick u down some of that banana kush lol???

by salt do u mean the white stuff on the leaves?? I WAS gonna ask about foliar feeding - Ive been spraying them with water only cuz its been so hot.

I think the white might be perlite pieces that got kicked up from the wind and the spraying of water. but it MIGHT be salt. Im using water thats been sitting evaporating for 24 hours than I ph balance it with the ph down. So Im not sure where the salt would come form if it is.

The brown dots on Perky tho, whats up with that?? is THIS what u mean by looks like salt?? I think the acid in the ph down is sodium bisulfate. might this be too salty??? let me know man I appreciate it thanks for the quick response

15. good to see you got your thread moved... i just got the PM

16. yeah thanks - my dumb ass lol

17. The room and plants are lookin awesome man! Looking forward to the next batch of pics@!:smoking:

18. thanks edge!!!! appreciate the support!!!

btw looked back and realized I didnt answer ur question about CFLs

I have one CFL and Im looking to get more I think and incorporate them into the situation soon.

did some crazy stupid venting shit today ill update today or tomorrow. basically cut a hole in the wall with a power drill acting as a saw thru cheap dry wall. Ill explain more later:D

19. Looking pretty good so far ! Don't know what those spots are, so I can't help there, sorry. What kind of soil do you have them in ? Have you fed at all yet ? Do you test your PH when you water ? What do you water with, tap water ? Do you boil it ? Do you let it sit out for 24-48 hours ?

Good luck. . . .

:wave:

20. Hey greeny thanks for tuning in. Dont expect u to read over the whole thread cuz its mostly me going on an on fretting about my plants which I overwatered at an early stage in Fox Farm Ocean which I now believe to be an unstable medium for seedlings.

Basically after that I transplanted and got two clones and eased up on the watering, added perlite, and . . . . that about brings u up to speed.

Ive been having heat problems and need to ventilate more and that is my top priority.

The plants have bounced back, especially Perky who never had that bad of a reaction to the fox farm so never got clipped, and in turn I think she sprung to life having her lower leaves to use for energy.

I am using tap water, I started with distilled with all the seedlings and am now using tap water that sits for over 24 hours 1st and then is ph balanced with sodium bisulfate.

I also check the ph runoff of my plants and keep it at 6.5

I think the marks are from the heat. this plant has the biggest leaves and Ive been pushing the limits as far as heat goes recently, trying to find what works. I desperately want to use my HPS as soon as I can or get an MH even better.

My plan is to find moms and eventually have a cycle of clones of diff strains getting harvested every 2 weeks.

I also plan on implementing an ebb and flow system to make the clones grow faster.

I started nuting about a week ago starting at 1/4 strength and now half strength fox farm grow big.

Im growing Sadhu, Master Kush, Swazi Skunk, and some unkowns. I also have a GDP seed that I will be starting once I know what Im doing.
    s
    I have 1 T5 2 foot 4 bulb 8000 lumens for veg 18/6, 8 40W T12 which will eventually be used for mothers, and 1 400W HPS 50,000 lumens for flower

Shabby ventilation but Im working on it.

My mix of soil right now is 50/50 Fox farm Ocean soil and Fox farm potting soil (red bag), with 20-25% miracle grow perlite. (the only perlite I could find at the time)

That should cover it man any questions let me know once again thankx for any advice and welcome to the thread.