Absolute Newbie's Absolute First Time

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by gonejah17, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Send gratuities to
    Captain VTEC
    666 Devils Way.
    Devilsville, CA. 66666

Anyway, you obviously need to knowe sex before taking clones unless you are sexing using clones. I find when seedlings are on 24/7 for the first 2 weeks then go 18/6, they automatically show sex by week 4-5. LST now if you wish.

2. btw VTEC when I was reading ur LED thread I learned about the accident and surgery. My best wishes to you man its amazing the high spirits u keep throughout everything. much respect man I hope you continue to bless GC with your knowledge and positive vibes.

Anyway got the camera back from the old lady so I got some pics. Not too much new growth but I can see the changes. Ive learned so much on this grow already it's already been worth it. My next grow cant be nearly as troublesome. Now lets see how these pics look all big and detailed I havent really seen them yet.

[​IMG]

Starting off with lil Stunner here. Just watered her for the second time today and shes been out of the ground now for I believe 6 days. Shes showing new growth, (even more overnight with the 6 hrs of darkness) but it IS still yellowish. Damn Fox Farm. Ill keep watering her every three days and I have to beleive shell make it through the rough stage. Enjoy her while shes still pretty tho boys lol.

[​IMG]

And here's Shorty. As u can see not as big as stunner but shes got new growth kickin along. U can see the cotyledons are yellow and the new growth is as well. at least now I think I know why and how to prevent it for next time. Still havent checked the PH all I have is a soil tester. I know I know I gotta check it. using store bought distilled water still. so can the water possibly have bad ph?? is that yet another stupid question??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's perky. I know shes gotten a lot yellower but her new growth seems to be happy to me. I dont know why I say that but it seems that way. well see in a few days I guess. shes been under the CFL for like three days now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres Diva. not too much to say about her. I still love her but more like a sister now lol. Nah, she's cool she just pissed me off. Such potential!!! guess thats my fault tho mostly. hopefully shell pull thru and really react positively to the 18/6. think this is her 4th leaf set shes growing now. my only thing is ARENT THESE SCRAGGLY ASS PLANTS TOO SHORT TO LST???? age wise i think they are maybe at the right point but they're like an inch and a half high lol. any remarks???? again feel free to hate lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's Legs. Shes got that leaf curling up and shit but besides that I dont know she seems cool. I think. I hope lol. Lostsa purple on her newer growth. U were right tho she hasnt pushed much since the transplant. the last pic is just to show u how large the pot I transplanted into is.

and thats it for now, oh yeah anyone have any info on the SADHU strain??? im actually pretty curious. lemme know. now BLAMMO!!!

[​IMG]

Heres the chemdawg . . . pretty dank Im a fan I am I am. Sativa portion of OG KUSH. like I had said. earlier. back there.

3. Hey thanks gonejah17, it has been rough after the accident but I think I am pulling through ok. Thanks for the kind words.

Those do look short to LST, but that's not my area.

I pH'ed some distilled water I got and it was between 7.0-8.0 pH. That is too high unless the soil is acidic and needs alkaline water to bring it up.

Your pots are also way too big. That's also why the very slow growth.

Let them dry out between waterings. Every day seems like way too often unless it is super dry in there.

4. Here is some info on SADHU: :smoking::smoking::smoking:

Sadhu is a combination of a specially adapted landrace male from the Himalayan heights and one of Mandala Seeds' short flowering indica-sativa hybrids.

This variety is a homage to the legendary ganja from the Indian high altitude valleys, and to the wandering ascetics or sadhus, who keep the tradition of cannabis cultivation and ganja alive. The robust and compact Sadhu is especially suited for indoor gardens where her medium height and shorter flowering period are important assets.

Incognito outdoor cultivation sites benefit from her shorter stature of about 1.6 meters . An area with low humidity levels during the last two weeks of flowering enables highest yields. Some plants are more leafy and, therefore, a bonus for hash enthusiasts. Her aromatic properties lend to a tasty yet mild smoke and the high is exceptionally pleasant.
    \t\t\t\t<hr style="margin: 5px 0pt; color: rgb(42, 184, 231); height: 1px;"> \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\tType:
    Indica/Sativa
    \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\tCultivation:
    Indoor/Outdoor
    \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\tLight:
    400 W/m2
    \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\tFlowering Time:
    60-65 days / September - 1st week of October
    \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\tYield:
    400-450 grams/m2 (dry weight)
    \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\tHigh:
    A strong psychoactive high that makes your mind fly while your body remains in a state of relaxation; this indica is seldom narcotic if harvested within 8 1/2 weeks.
    \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\tMedical Use:
    Sadhu assists against stress and nervousness.

5. thats definitely whats up!!!! thanks you for the info on Sadhu. now if I can manage to actually raise one of these plants well see how the strain is. I have a bout 5 more Sadhu seeds, one kush seed (not sure what type) and one GDP seed that I am waiting to germinate untill I know exactly what Im doing. Ill have to get some nute free soil for the seedlings and such. and I might make a bubble bucket before this next grow as well. And now Im wondering HID or LED???? hmmmmmmmmmm.

Thank you again for the informaiton VTEC. I figured the pot was too big but when I took LEGS out to transplant her her roots were definitely longer than the depth of the dixie cup, so . . . . not sure if that means anything but thought the root growth wasnt supposed to be stopped by the pot. the only reason Im using these pots is my boy who left me with the Fox Farm and seeds also left me with these pots. They're from the Hydro store so I figured they were a good size.. what size do u suggest??? I can just look in the forums I guess and gauge it.

Oh and Im not watering the plants every day. I was doin that for the first few days with the first 3 plants but stopped and with these new sprouts Im watering every 3 days. AND Im doing the "finger down to the second knuckle" test AND feeling the weight of the cup to feel if its dry. So I REALLY don't think Im overwatering anymore. I can't be, right?? once every three days and the soil is DRY when I feel it with my finger. the transplanted plant I watered again today which is 4 days after the transplant. The soil in the big pot was also really really dry when I felt it.

Im TRYING to do this right but I realize its trial and error. Im ok with that - I do a lot of experimentation in the real world so Im used to trial and error lol.

NO pics yet just read the posts and wanted to show my appreciation and respond. Plants look ok not much change. Perky and Stunner are showing the most growth right now. Halelujah Holla Back :wave:

6. Yeah Once every three days sounds fine. I recommend people start in dixie cups to maybe 6-8 inch pots tops. Anything bigger than 8" pot from seed seems to actually slow growth in my gardens.

7. got 4 6" pots. THINK they're 6" there was no label on them. Ill take pics. they look like a good size. and I got some perlite. Went to Osh and asked if they had any soil wihtout nutrients or fertilizer added and they said no. HMMMMM . . . any brand names come to mind when speaking of unfertilized potting soil?? I was lookin at Osh brand, Supersoil, and Miracle Gro brand. but they all seemed to have something added. What about compost??? or peat moss??? I just want the perfect nute free medium to put seedlings in before I transplant them to FF when they're old enough to take it. Really I just want lush green seedlings and no more yellowness. For now I think Im going to mix some perlite with my two types of Fox Farm and transplant Diva into one of the new pots. Sound like a plan, Stan??? Any mixture suggestions??? I have the red Fox Farm and the Ocean Forest and some Perllite. Im thinking mix the two FF soils evenly and put 25% perlite and 75% soil mixture with maybe some extra Perlite in the bottom of the pot????? Lemme know Ill probably do this next watering. MAybe Ill find some nutrient free soil by that time. That would be sugar tits.

PS. Ive been looking at other ppl's first grow threads and some of the responses on my thread and I really think I need to test the PH of my water. just lithmus paper???? Ill check it out and update manana with pics. Oh and any idea why my thread has a red envelope?? is it the profanity??? or "profanity" I should say

8. Hey man, a good nute free soil is Sunshine Mix # 4. It is what the man Unoit used.
    Lithimus paper is good, a digital pen is better.
    Your soil mixture sounds ok. Hopefully it won't be too hot for them.
    Compost is no good for seedlings; it is usually too hot for them.
    I think the red envelope means your thread has been viewed many times.

9. thank you for the responses. ur the shit man. update tomorrow.

10. not to count ur chickens before they hatch, but guess who might be getting a 1000W HPS for 40 yes 40 dollars?!?!?!?!?!??

just guess.

feel free to bleed with envy.

EDIT - went to pick it up thinking it was too good to be true and it was and wasnt. Light works fine and everything the reflector is a little banged up but hey, $40!!!! Only thing is I was on the way home thinking, "damn, 1000W, A: thats a lot of power on my bill, and B: thats a LOT of heat for my little room. MAybe I'll sell it and get a smaller like 600 or 400." So I was looking at the ballast I know I should have looked at it when I got it but I didnt want dude to change his mind so I just checked that it worked and bounced. Anyway I checked the ballast and it says 400W HPS!!! PERFECT for me I think with only the amount of the power as a pc psu and not nearly as much heat. I might not have to duct now huh??? what do you think????? $40!!!!!!!! my HID mine!!!!

oh and I got a water ph tester and it looks like the puried water Ive been using is right at 6.5-7 while the tap water Ive used a little (after letting it sit for 24 hrs) was more like 8. so thats not good. Im going to look into lowering the ph if I remember correctly its pretty easy yeah???

11. so I know I can get ph down and PH minus. I heard there are natural ways to do it, like vineagar????? is this true???? gotta get it down from 8ish. lemme know my peeps. will vineagar hurt the plants????

And HPS will be better than my T5 setup for veg right??? I know MH is preferable but 40$!!!! And when I flower . . . .

12. Anytime man but let me see if I got this straight; your new purchase is a 400 watt ballast w/a 1000 watt bulb? Sounds like a fire waiting to happen. Only use the correct size bulb with correct size ballast. Anything else is unsafe except for the 400 watt ballast and Hortilux bulb which is 50,000 lumens vs. 55,000 lumens [bringing it up to maybe 430 watts]. Anything else is no good.

Second, I believe the hps is better than a T5 in the right spectrum but have never done a side by side comparo to be positive. The lumens on HID's are just much higher than on CFL's so HID's throughout the entire grow really get my vote.

If your run-off pH is between 6.2-6.8 then I would not adjust anything. If you need a TEMPORARY fix, vinegar or lemon juice will be fine for soil; not hydro. For long term you might want to get some pH down.

P.S You can buy an MH conversion bulb that will run in an HPS ballast.

13. Hey Gonj,

Definately wait a couple of weeks until your root systems mature before doing LST. According to DierWolf's sticky thread you should have at least 3 fan leaf sets, although some say 4-5. Also, you just transplanted recently, so I would just wait a week or two to let everything settle and your roots will develop in that time.

Also, listen to SVTech when it comes to the fire hazard warning. Putting a 1000 watt bulb with a 400 watt ballast is just asking for trouble. Remember, the ballast's job is to regulate electricity to your bulb, and you should ONLY use a ballast that is compatible with your bulb. Although, you did get the equipment at a great price, so if I were you I would look into purchasing a 400 watt bulb to go with that ballast, especially if you have space/heat/smell requirements.

Anyways, great work, can't wait to see more of your pics in the future!

Peace.

14. it said 1000W on the ad in craigslist. I went down and got the light and didnt really check the specs cuz I just wanted to get out of there with an HID for 40 bucks!! but when I actually checked out the ballast it's 400W. I think the whole setup is. I dont THINK its a 1000W bulb I just think the guy misadvertised. because it wasnt even his light it was a friend of his that was moving and had asked him to get rid of it for him. I WILL take pics within the hour of all the recent improvements. LEGS might be dying :confused:. PErky loves the CFL and has reacted well so far to the transplant. the sprouts are loving life. Diva likes the new soil mix I think and the transplant. So ill take some pics including my new light here real soon.

I adjusted a large bottle of tap water to 6.5 using vinegar. Ill check the runoff today cuz I have to water the sprouts.

And my oldest two (diva and legs) ARE on there 3rd or 4th fan leaf set - just cant tell cuz I had to clip them all off lol. Anyway I wont LST untill I see a reason too. My shits are so small there's no point. and this IS just a practice run. K breakfast, bowl, then up to take some pics.

PS lemme konw once u see the pics of my light if u think I can put an MH bulb in that bitch.

15. Well . . . .

I really dont know where to start. I checked out the light and the ballast is 400W but the socket says "made for 1000W HPS bulb" here look

[​IMG]

so this concerned me. I dont want to burn down my apartment building. My plants would die. :D

So I brought the light down to the hydro store to ask the guy there who ive built up a little rapport with about the whole situation. he said it didnt matter what the socket said if I used a 400W bulb with the 400W ballast I will be straight. T or F???? So I bought a 400W HPS bulb and one more pair of yo yos. I could have gotten the yo yos much cheaper on ebay but I wanted to get going with the light so I said fuck it plus I wanted to give homie a sale for all the info he had given me. Bulb only cost $13.00 I thought this was a nice lil lick. here is the bulb and yo yos

[​IMG]

so . . . . where to go from here? At first I went in just to get an idea of how my whole situation was going to work. I was thinking I would put the hps in the upper level of the cabinet and the T5 in the lower level. not sure why lol. So first I tried that.

[​IMG]

heres a shot of the old setup with the T5 up top and the CFL with perky under it on the bottom.

so I changed it up . .. .

[​IMG]

First off heres the light, this is still with the old bulb. reflector is pretty banged up but thats what u get for $40. Im still stoked.

[​IMG]

The only "documentation" on the WHOLE ballast. all four sides, thats it. a sticker lol. Well we get down around here. we keep it gully lol.

[​IMG]

heres the reflector with some pipe cleaner hangers rigged up. those pipe cleaners have come in hella handy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here are a few with the hps in the upper portion of the cabinet and the T5 down low. the last one shows the ballast up top in the background

[​IMG]

and heres the T5 setup as it was down low. Only problem was, after turning the HPS on my temp the furthest I could get away from the bulb got up to 102!!!!!! so I realized I needed more space between the plant and the HPS. it is not going to work inside the cabinet.

[​IMG]

Heres the best pic I could get of the HID light radiating out of the room

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And heres two pics of the HID hung up in there but turned off, with the CFL on lighting Legs' way. which brings me to another situation. The plants.

Legs was not doing too well. I think it was a combination of the HUGELY oversized pot and the soil miuxture not having enough perlite in it. It had been 4 days I think since I watered here and the soil was still dark with moisture. So I did what I know I shouldnt have. I mixed up some perlite soil mix and xplanted her again. I know I know I shouldnt have. but I had my reasons. one of which Ill get to here in a second.

So heres a pic of her before xplant. kinda blurry sorry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

she had a bunch of shit wrong. leaves dyin slow growth wrong color. for reasons ull soon see, Ill probably have to kill one of my plants soon and I dont have room under my light for those huge pots. so I xplanted her to a smaller pot with what I think is a better soil mix and if she makes it great if not ok. here she is post xplant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to clip another leaf off of here it was brown and dead.

on a better noter, perky has loved the Cfl here she is

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mew growth seems happy and is coming a long fast. sorry cotta hurry this post up girl wants to go to the movie.

[​IMG]

heres Stunner. a little blurry but shes growing nicely.

[​IMG]

heres shorty. also coming along nicely. keeping right up with stunner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HEres Diva. holding strong and I think loving the XPlant and new soil mix.

and heres my ph mix lol - worked for about half an hour getting this as close to 6.5 as I could with vinegar. hope the vinegar doesnt kill the plants.

[​IMG]

lol alright girls waitin on me got to go Ill spell check and edit later. hope all is well check the pics and let me know. OH yeah I didnt tellu the ne news.

went down to PAramount studios in hollyhood today to work. stopped at the clinic next door and the sweetest looking clone was looking at me. $15.oo I snagged it xplanted and LSt'd it and its looking nice. WOO HOO!!! allright more pics and edits soon. holla!!!

16. felt guilty not having updated in a few days, so I ran around real quick to load up pics and everything thinking y'all were waiting . . . . but looks like y'all forgot about me lol.

Diva's feelings are hurt :(

17. Dont worry dude, I am still following your progress :)

Your setup seems to be going along very nice, grow on :hello:

18. lol thnx man - lil mofos r bouncing back. Perky's looking dope!!! And wait till u check out pics of the clone. shes looking good today. Ive been running around but ill try to get some pics tonight.

Im already envisioning an ebb and flow setup for next grow.

19. I think ull like the pics.