absolute first time grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GMoneyBusta, Jan 11, 2011.

1. So I just planned my first grow and I am currently awaiting the arrival of my seeds, lemon skunk. So I thought while I wait I'd post my blueprint for some critism. Any and all help is appreciated.

Growroom: 6 feet tall 2 feet by 2 feet. One of the pop up grow rooms. Light proof. Mounts all lights.

Light: one 150 watt hps rated at 16000 lumens.

Medium: Fox Farm Ocean Forest in 5 gallon grow bags upon final transplant.

I plan to supplement with a CO2 bucket.

Nutes are extensive and I don't currently feel like listing but I can assure that after weeks of research my selected products are the absolute best for a nice balance of potency and yield and yet remain in my budget.

Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

2. Sounds like a plan. Decent setup, and it also seems like you've read up on what you need. You would need a ph-meter, and I would suggest you get just a bit more light. Maybe you could supplement with a few CFLs. They're cheap... I have a 400w HPS in a space just a little bit bigger. What about ventilation? You didn't mention that.

And not to piss on your parade, but I've read that CO2 isn't neccecary unless you grow big time, like commercial grows and such. For a grow with less than 1000 watts of light, you won't maximize anyways, and that's what CO2 is for. I'm just saying... But if you have it readily available, why not. I wouldn't spend any money on it though.

Good luck with your grow man! Peace :wave:

3. Right on, man! You've got alot of good stuff coming to you. I really like the way you seem to be testing the waters, rather than putting all of your eggs in one basket. Although, I do agree with GrowMoe in reference to your lighting. Is there any reason you've decided to use such a low-wattage light? Any and all information will help us help you!

4. I personally only use Fox Farms and I love the stuff.

Your setup seems real legit but I also think it could benefit from a stronger light.

5. The light was simply a matter of budget. It is 90 dollars. For 140 I could get a 4 bulb t8. Which would be preferred for a whole grow? I plan on doing just one female at a time and filling my grow space as much as the plant comfortably wants to grow and remain healthy.

6. for one plant you should be fine with the 150w

7. No, not over your 150HPS. You've got the right idea. I would also consider GrowMoe's suggestion. Positioning a few CFL's to help with light penetration would be a great idea. Super cheap, too. This would even benefit your CO2 supply. Ideally, you want slightly higher than normal room temps when increasing your levels of carbon dioxide. That being said, during 'lights on' is when you should have your CO2 running.

8. Well the whole reason I considered the CO2 was the higher heat my light will put out. A higher temp means more gas absorption. A more specific question with several parts. I ordered the lemon skunk from marijuana-seeds.nl. I was looking for feedback on this distributor and also does anyone have experience with this particular seed to help me come up with a good plant height to induce flowering at.

9. To clarify I want to find a good height for max yield in my provided space. I am only doing one at a time and want to make it count.

10. I ordered from that site too my first time. The seeds were good and came discretely packaged. One thing though, one of the strains I ordered wasn't the strain it was supposed to be. Probably just a simple mistake, and won't happen to you too.

11. I ordered the seeds on the 7th and they just arrived today.

12. I asked something similar a while ago and somebody sent me this chart. It will differ depending on the temp and how big the plant is but usually if the top of your plant isn't showing any signs of stress or turning yellow from the light burning it you're fine. I try to keep the lights about 6-8" from my tops. Hope this helps!
    [​IMG]

13. I meant a height to induce flowering to account for added growth during flowering yet max my yield in my room

14. My room is 4x3x7.
    I have 3 plants in there now that are 5 weeks into flowering. I let them veg until they were about a foot tall. I honestly wish I would have just done 2 becaue they have gotten so bushy. Although they're only about 2 feet tall my top buds are about 7-8 inches long so far.

It's going to depend on the strain but with 6 weeks of vegging the plant should be around or above a foot tall and plenty bushy to give you an amazing yeild in that space. Plus the plant is most likely going to double or triple in size during the flowering stage.

15. so the grow room hasn't arrived yet but I have placed it in a closet underneath the high pressure sodium light they are in the ocean forest inside of jiffy pots. is it okay to germinate seeds in the soil in the manner that I am trying to do? I have plenty of seeds to mess around with that I just want to know if this method will be effective or not

16. I always plant my seeds straight into soil... It works better for me than germinating first.

17. Yeah the choice is yours. Just don't plant more than one per dixie cup or soda bottle or what ever you choose. Good luck!

18. So I planted one lemon skunk and one royal hash last night. Just waiting to see some green now.

19. Two lemon skunk and one royal hash have cracked out tap roots. Awaiting the germination of the second royal hash. So as an attempt to increase my odds having a larger yield I went ahead and did four plant that I will flip at 12 or 18". Keep them all fairly compact. Will my light still be sufficient, such as the bare minimum? I will eventually upgrade when the capital presents itself but will this set up suffice for now?

20. It will do fine, at least for the veg period. I would absolutely try to get some 2700K CFLs to add when switching to 12/12. That would give you some time to get the money to buy the lights, though they are real cheap.