Absolute beginners guide to cloning...i need one...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dacaliforniakid, Sep 14, 2010.

1. so ive grown a few small crops but now i'd like to venture into cloning. i've done a little reading but found the info to be different from webpage to webpage.

ive grown 4 grows and thats about the extent of my knowledge in growing. been around MJ for many years though.

im looking to get started and need to know what i gotta get and how exactly its done. im aware peat pellets or the cubs are required...humidity dome...tray...etc. (where do i get these things btw...home depot correct?)

rooting hormone? i thought this way unhealthy for humans? or maybe i heard dont dip your seeds in rooting hormone? idk.

either way im looking for someone who can explain it in a SIMPLE way & in ENGLISH!

also if anyone has any info on the cost that would be great (cost to buy materials, time , etc)

i'd like to know what im up against.
    thanks.

2. The clone bucket by RF is good for hydro growing or soil transplanting. You can also clone in well drained potting mix with extra perlite added for better drainage. No cloning gel or powder is needed to root MJ. If you use these products they are all the same thing, IBA (Idol-Butyric Acid), in various carriers, so don't let anyone tell you one is better than the other.

To make a clone cutting, the tips of the branches are the best sections. Take 2-4 nodes from the tip and use as the new cutting. Strip the leaves off the bottom 1-2 nodes and insert into potting media. Cut the larger fan leaves in half to reduce transpiration losses. Mist a few times a day and keep the soil uniformly moist and you will root the cutting in a couple of weeks.

3. I just use coco. I cut the branch, dip in water immediately, trim off lower leaves and branches and spurs. Then I dip again, dip in Clone-X gel, and placed in a planter of moist coco. I spray the leaves every so often with clean water, keep the temperature around 72 degrees and I use CFL bulbs.

Sometimes a few plants might wilt a little around day 3. If they do I prop them up with a support, they usually turn around a few days later and are standing on their own again.

4. I clone in peat pellets (jiffy pots). Simply cut the branch you want to clone (at a 45 degree angle), scrape the bottom of the stem, dip in rooting hormone and place in the peat pot. Put your peat pots under a humidity dome and about a foot from a small floro or cfl (23w is fine).

burp the humidity dome a few times a day and within about 2 weeks you should see roots sticking out.

I have cloned using just soil in the same way, with the same results.

keep the plants under a humidity dome until they develop a good root structure. if you don't, they will wither and die.

5. cut off a fan leaf section.

stick in moist soil

keep soil moist

wait till it starts growing.