Absinthe

Discussion in 'General' started by Rybinov, Nov 30, 2008.

1. The last time I went to Mexico, I brought back some absinthe for my friend's brother. I didn't know what the stuff was or anything, so I wasn't too worried about it. I got past customs and everything, it wasn't a big deal to me. I'm going back to Mexico in February, and want to bring back some more. I've looked on Wikipedia and all that, but haven't been able to figure out whether or not drug dogs can smell absinthe, or alcohol in general. Anyone know?

2. Absinthe can be legally purchased in the United States so don't bother with customs. Lucid is a great legal brand here in the United States, just check their website to see locations that sell it or you can mail order from them.

If you are looking for more top shelf Absinthe, you can order from websites located in Europe that will sell you the best of the best when it comes to Absinthe and usually your package will make it through customs just fine... but be forewarned, you do take a risk doing it this way because if you are not lucky enough, they may just seize it.

But really, Lucid is a damn good absinthe.

3. ok thanks, but I'll just get the stuff from down south... liquor stores around here don't or won't sell it, and I'm brining up a bunch of other shit so I might as well...

4. I was under the impression that they don't sell the main ingredient in absinthe here in the united states... There's some poison herb thing in absinthe and that's what makes you hallucinate.... That is what is illegal, and it's why it's not sold in the united states....

I'd say if you want real absinthe then try to order it online.... Smuggling it is definitely illegal, and you got lucky your first go around.... Good luck doin it again man... How long ago did you smuggle it across?

5. Depends on what you are talking about Weebie.... Thujone is the chemical that many people said was what causes absinthe to make you hallucinate... Well this is false information propagated by the government when it was first banned... Absinthe doesn't make you hallucinate and thujone has absolutely no impact on the strength of absinthe...

Grand wormwood is the wood that is used to make absinthe and is what gives absinthe its unique effect. There have been absinthe brands in the past in the US who have used a different kind of wormwood in order to legally sell their product... The use of this wormwood leads to a shitty pseudo absinthe that has no real effect besides making you drunk... But Lucid is an authentic style absinthe that uses grand wormwood and will give you the effect one should expect from absinthe.

6. I was under the same impression

2003 (I was 14, lol)

7. Yes, Lucid is delicious.

And like Foop has said, no absinthe makes you hallucinate.
    Different kind of drunk? Yes, but no hallucinations.

8. Absinthe is awesome. It doesn´t make you hallucinate but the drunk is amazing. I´m pretty sure wormwood is the active ingredient. A friend went to Hungary and brought back a bottle, we drank it all (I drank most lol) and then we went to some pubs and shit. It was a good night.

9. yeah man I can't wait... oh and i have this friend, she'll drink but nothing else. she won't smoke anything or anything more than alcohol. would she try absinthe? I'd ask her but she prob has no idea what it is :p

10. Just tell her it´s booze, she´ll probably drink it right away.

11. but she'll probably notice once shes drunk right? I don't wana give her something she doesn't want...

12. #12 Deleted member 87043, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
    Just offer her some and tell her it´s not a regular kind of alcohol. She´ll notice the drunk isn´t as sluggish.

But yeah, definitely don´t give it to her without her knowing, all sneaky like and all.

Remember it also has a certain way of drinking. If I recall correctly, you take a spoonful of sugar, add some absinthe to it, light it on fire and mix it with the shot.

edit: I was on the right track any http://www.howtodrinkabsinthe.com/

13. well i've seen people drink it before, just not the effects, like when I gave it to my friend's bro, he tried it (you put a sugar cube on a spoon with holes in it and add cold water) and we left to go wherever it was.

so it's like being drunk without the slowness?

14. #14 Deleted member 87043, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
    Shit I´m not sure if I can explain it properly. It´s less sluggish, you´re a bit more pumped than with regular booze, I can´t remember much more, this was years ago :p

Maybe you should just see for yourself lol

But it´s definitely a good time, and it won´t drive you crazy like people used to say.

edit: this might explain it better http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/08-04/08-04-van-gogh.htm

Modern drunkard is hilarious. And remember thar bit in the article, thujone is key in absinthe, the one I drank had alot of that too. It was also illegal in most of Europe.

15. Yeah, that's the reason behind the brand name Lucid

And Foop has his stuff absolutely right about the American stuff. Lucid has a small amount of thujone and is made from grande wormwood just like other traditional absinthes.

16. alright thanks, and yea, i definitely plan on seeing for myself :p gonna stock up a few bottles in the suitcase :D