Absinthe.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by MihoSayuri, Nov 12, 2008.

1. A friend of mine is getting some true absinthe from a friend in Amsterdam in February and wants to try it with me.

I'm curious on the effects. My friend said it's like being drunk but with hallucinations. But I researched and Wiki says it is no longer hallucinogenic.

?

2. I had 4 shots of it a few weekends ago.. and I just felt buzzed, honestly.
    have fun though!

3. imagine being drunk and taking a super weak hit of acid

4. If you've never been drunk, would that be bad?
    'cause I don't drink.

5. It never has caused hallucinations. That was just the government propaganda machine spreading lies. I find absinthe to be much like being drunk and high at the same time. You get a very strong body buzz (very much like an alcohol buzz but slightly more "trippy") I equate the buzz to the come up buzz I get on mushrooms, just very subdued.

But at the same time with absinthe, you do not get impaired like you do with plain old alcohol. You don't slur your words and you don't have movement impaired too too bad. Your brain functions like it is high, you are able to form intricate thoughts in your head but also verbalize them (unlike weed)

So to me, absinthe is like combining the best aspects of being drunk and high with none of the negatives, but it is also its own experience at the same time.

But you will not trip, you will not hallucinate, all that will happen is you will have a fun time and if you drink too much you will just end up smashed drunk.

Also, Lucid is a brand of absinthe that can be purchased legally in the United States and is actually a really very good brand... check it out.

6. i had it before, and booooo! haha i was disappointed.

7. if you really wanna do it right you should buy wormwood off grasscity and distill some yourself

8. idk Foop, someone had a bottle of absinthe made with cannabis, coca leaves, and the fennel leaves and wormwood. it could probably give an almost hallucinogec effect. i've seen alot about it, it may just very from person to person.

9. Whats 'probably' mean? Many people SAY that they experience hallucinations on absinthe, mainly because of placebo or they just plain don't know what a hallucination. But many an avid absinthe drinker will look you in the eye and say that there is not a single brand of absinthe out there that will make you hallucinate.

As for how you should take absinthe, the water to absinthe ratio is 1:4. So for every part of absinthe you put in your glass, 4 equal parts of cold water should be added. The cold water should be dribbled over a sugar cube into the glass and then the entire concoction stirred... And DO NOT light the cube on fire, that is just some hollywoodized Czech method that should be ignored.

10. i've always read that thujone content and specifically the use of artemisia absinthium is what makes a great absinthe. pre-ban absinthe is supposed to be much more pronounced in it's hallucinogenic effects due to its higher thujone content.

11. Thujone has been proven time and time again to have an almost negligible effect when it comes to absinthe. So usually when a brand touts its high thujone content, it just means that it is a piss poor absinthe using a marketing gimmick. The type of wormwood used DOES matter, thujone does not mean shit.

12. Foop is right, you do not hallucinate from absinthe. It's just a different, kind of trippy drunk. When I had it I was watching TV and I noticed the smaller, fainter sounds a lot better and they sounded really good to me. Like the swoosh sound a basketball makes as it goes through the net....it sounded nice to my ears.

13. Huh? In my experience, the green fairy impairs your functions just as much as 'plain old alcohol'. It is, after all, extremely high proof alcohol! Though I won't deny that the feeling of being intoxicated on absinthe bears its own mark due to whatever characteristics of the experience or the drink itself are present.

One negative, though: It tastes like horribly high-proof black liquorice, melted down with some rubber. As long as you can get over its wretched taste, it certainly is a nice change from the beer and liquor that everyone is so used to.

Oh, and go for Lucid or Absente if you want quality Absinthe.

14. You only get impaired if you consume too much absinthe in my opinion. I can drink 3 or 4 glasses of absinthe and never have trouble walking a straight line or slurring a single word.

And the reason you do not like the taste is because you are not drinking it correctly. You are supposed to dilute it in water and add a cube of sugar.

15. my dealer has a SHIT ton of absinthe posters and bottles all around his house from what i hear from him its quite the experience!

16. Oh believe me, this step was not skipped. Even used the intense spoon you lay the sugar cube on and everything. I guess when one of my friends did it he just didn't add enough water, because it had a very strong taste of black licorice.

17. yep i did the same...we followed allll the directions...it tasted like shit, and no hallucinations..just normal drunkeness...and disappointment:mad:

18. Disappointed how? You aren't supposed to hallucinate, but I enjoy the different, alert, focused drunk like state from absinthe. My only problem with it is that it's too sweet and expensive.

19. when i first tried i was expecting to see fairies..really(i was 16)
    but no..no hallucinations..

its nothing like the old absinthe Verlaine,Picasso,Hippocrates and Oscar Wilde would talk about and use.
    to me it was more like being drunk with a mild body high..nothing more intense..

i will disagree though about the sugar tube.the whole point is to melt the sugar to make it sweet.(the way of course they do it in Chech is a bit holliwoodized indeed ..)
    if you just pour cold water on it nothing much will happen.it needs a while till it starts to melt properly..you can replace sugar with syrop though and make your life much easier..

try this;
    20 ml absinthe
    10 ml Chambord raspberry liquor
    5 ml lemon juice
    15 ml cranberry juice
    known as the Van Gogh coctail.

1 dose absinthe herbal liqueur
    1 dose water
    juice of 1 lemon
    2 tsp egg white
    1 dash Angostura bitters,,,,,this is the green fairy coctail.

there are maaaany coctails based on absinthe,you ca even make absinthe martini,absinthe whiite fairy(it has vanilla ice cream in) and many many many others.
    i assumed some recipies would be helpfull since you said you dont really drink..so just absinthe, im guessing, wont be your taste.

tell us how you liked it!

20. If you get it from Andorra. it comes with the worm in the bottle, and is like 82% vol.........and it made me trip......I've never seen the same stuff sod anywhere else including the Dam, and the woodworm is taken out before it's sold to lots of countries......Andorra being an exception, it's a tax free state in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain......they have supermarkets of nothing but alcohol, they sell vodkas that bare 100% vol........they also sell "Bimbo" bread, which I found quite amusing and a Cadbury's bar of chocolate called "Toke"........how appropriate...........Peace out........Sid