Absinthe Leagalized?!!!? (article from NY Times)

Discussion in 'General' started by FunkyTrainRider, Dec 19, 2007.

1. I read this in Time magazine, but it also doesnt have the same levels of hallucinagenics.

2. I can verify it, I have a bottle of it.

It's legit absinthe. It's called Lucid. $60 for a 750mL bottle.

3. As far as I know you've been allowed to distill your own absinthe for some time now... I could be wrong though...

4. My friend's uncle owns a liquor store and apparently he said it's not legalized although it contains significantly less wormwood. Which is the whole point of Absinthe, I guess.

5. is it sold across the country yet? or is it localized to a few places? im in florida :wave:

6. It's the real deal

"Absinthe, also known as the "green fairy," is back and in vogue at fashionable bars and restaurants nationwide. Banned in the USA since 1912 because of its supposed hallucinogenic effects, authentic absinthe returned in legal forms this year."
    - Absinthe flows again, more stylish than ever, USA Today

"As any frat boy can tell you, absinthe, the spirit of choice for Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Verlaine, was banned here in 1912 following rumors that its primary ingredient, grand wormwood, contained a psychosis-inducing hallucinogen called thujone - but now a Manhasset distributor Lucid has convinced the U.S. Alcohol-Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau that the green fairy is just as safe as any other liver-pickling, brain-shrinking alcohol on the market (even if the 124-proof booze's alcohol content is more than 50 percent greater than that of vodka, rum, and most whiskeys)."
    - Absinthe feels so good when it hits U.S. markets, New York Magazine

7. From the sounds of it this is the real shit. I guess everyone just sort of realized that you don't trip balls after a couple of shots.

I personally experienced some reactor fluid absinthe in Greece once. Horrible.

8. has anybody actually tripped on this stuff?

9. Yes Cottons you are right, you can distill your own Absinthe in small batches but cannot distribute for profit.

10. That's what I was thinkin. Thanks for confirming :)

11. Nice. Don't get your hopes up blades, you don't really trip balls off the shit. I've had it twice, and had VERY mild hallucinations, if you can even call it that.

I look it as a drunk with a kick, I suppose, more than any form of "trip".

12. Yeah... I hear you have to drink a bunch over the course of many hours to get any type of hallucinogenic affect, and even then, it's not "trippin" like you're likely thinking.

13. one of my friends went to italy and tried the stuff, said it tasted like shit but got him really drunk, thats about all he had to say about it

14. Vincent Van Gogh?

15. I have 2 bottles of the stuff left that my grandfather left me. .. he was a certicaiable Absinthe connesuier (sp?)..its old 1900's Chech stuff..

..it can make you trip, but at the least some closed eye visuals..it does inspire alot of loftier thoughts than most alchohols, so in a sense, its the ambrosia of myth :D