About to say fuck it and follow my dreams

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by alefein, Dec 15, 2010.

1. What's up guys. I'm pretty high right now but I was always going to share this story with you, hope you'll enjoy it.

So, I'm Alexander, 20 year old from a shitty, cold place called Iceland. I've been in college for three and a half year now, half year left, studying shit I really hate. My dad kinda pressured me into this and convinced me that this was what I want, when I know it's not. Afterwards, he expects me to go to university and study something else boring and become rich and respected and blah blah, and it's making me kind of sick. It's not that I'm a loser, I'm just more of an artistic type. I like writing stories and poems and even hip hop lyrics, and I like acting etc. So I'm just on the wrong side of life.

My friend, who has become my best friend over the few weeks, has the same problem. We both hate this school, although the social life is awesome, and we just want to get out!

So we decided to sign up for the New York Film Academy in Los Angeles alongside a very good looking girl we know. The two of them are going to study film acting, and will be going in march, but I'll be studying screenwriting, and I'll be going in september. It's in 2011 btw. Two year courses of doing what we love at a wonderful place!!

So yeah, I just can't wait to get my ass out of Iceland and to the wonderful USA!

2. I'm glad you are going to be doing what makes you happy

3. Do what you want friend, remember it's you're life. Not you're dads. It's great to hear that you're following you're dreams and doing what you want to do! Keep us posted on how everything is going!:wave:

4. Congratulations for doing what you want to do. The US isn't all it's cracked up to be though... is Iceland that bad?

5. Thanks for the kind words guys.

Iceland isn't THAT bad, but I just need a change. Actually, it can be an awesome country and all that but it's been getting much more fucked up lately. And yeah, 300,000 people, it's if I lived somewhere in a tiny city in the States.

I also know that the USA isn't all perfect, but I've been there many times and sometimes for longer periods, and I just really like it. The people, all the variety..man. Although I've only been to the east coast, I think I'll enjoy being in Cali.

6. I understand.

Good luck man. I feel like ditching my life and doing what I want to do... my studies are awesome but I just don't even know anymore.

7. Just take your time and decide if you want to go for it! My decision wasn't made in a hurry, it's been three fucking years of boredom. But if you believe it's worth going for, go for it!

8. I would suck it up and listen to your dad, but that's just me. After all, who's had more life experience? He want's you to succeed in life, something a LOT of people don't get to experience. Why go to L.A. for a job on a maybe for screenwriting when you have a job for sure in whatever you're currently studying? One day you might regret not following your dad's set path or you might. Either way, just go for it.

9. Yeah dude. That sounds great. I'm 20 years old too in school for music. I sing and play viola and I know that if I'd just gone for a regular academic degree (also being an artistic type), I'd feel just like you. If I were you, I'd finish my degree and THEN come to the U.S.

Also, I live in NYC...the NY Film Academy here is also supposed to be very good so you might want to look into that too :)
    Good luck!

10. I'm pretty jealous, I'd love to go there

11. Finish your degree over there man then get some more schooling over here.
    Never a good idea to stop when you are so close to finishing... That's what she said.

12. Dude ive always wanted to live in Iceland

Umm want to switch houses? ;P

13. Everyone just wants a change it makes me fucking sick.

People in the US running away to exotic exciting places....people in europe running to US thinking its some kind of wonderous place...until they all realize its the same shit, everywhere. the weather is different, but the people are the same all over this earth. Abusing their drugs and alcohol, watching their televisions, going to and from work day in and day out, everyone thinks they will find happiness if they physically go here or go there, im sick of chasing this feeling, i hope death is swift and painless, because this life is much too long and painful

14. dude, chill on the negativity...I´ve experienced change before and it was great..now I´m ready to do it again. None of what you say is true :p Don´t kill yourself!

15. Good for you man. I understand where you are coming from. My father is the exact same way. Luckily for him in a year I will try to transfer to a film school in order to be able to major in screenwriting too.

16. Your almost done dude, why don't u just finish then go to cali. You should know that film school doesn't guarantee a solid career in film. Plus, there's a shit ton of competition.especially in LA.. Finish ur degree then go for it. You don't want to graduate and never get hired and become a crazy bum on venice beach do ya?

17. You only have one life man.. so do what makes you happy :wave:

18. Thats whats up.

19. You are going to have a hard time getting a job with this economy. It would be easier if you had that diploma. Diplomas open doors for jobs. It doesn't matter what the degree is in, just that you persevered enough to get it. Then you could get a higher paying job while you are working on writing those screenplays. Do what you desire, yet do it smart.

20. best of luck bro, if you stuck out 3 years of a course you hate then you should kill a 2 year course you love