About to give up

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by fasthonda, Apr 4, 2014.

1. OK so I'm about to give up if someone doesn't help me out.I have done a few grows already in my dwc and they turned out good but my only problem is getting my seeds to root in my rockwool. I can never get my rockwool to stay how I want it I is always to dry or to wet can anybody give me some advice on how to monitor when to water. Or something easier than rockwool because I waste so many seeds. I grow a Dwc with hydroton if that matters.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. From what I'm reading using rockwool you should wet it first (but not soaked) then into prop trays and shaded from the light .

3. #4 unixhelp, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    So far rockwool has worked ok for me...popped the seed with paper towel method....put in small wet rockwool cube...plant breaks surface in a day or so....taproot pokes through the bottom a few days later....carefully put in larger 3" cube ( the kind with the hole that fits the small cube )... when root pokes through bottom of 3" cube i put it in its final medium. I haven't grown many plants but I've not had a problem with this yet.

Edit: oh...small cube in propagator 80% humidity under not-bright-ish light...open vents as it grows...once in the larger cube it comes out of propagator until ready for final grow medium.

4. Try something softer (never used it just assuming its kinda hard) try rapid rooter

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Get one of these and follow the directions: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Jiffy-36-Peat-Pellet-Greenhouse-5049/202563419

6. #7 Doc-J, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    Personally, I would switch to rapid rooters, in my opinion they maintain the best ratio of air and moisture. Rockwool is a pain for several reasons.

Ive tried just about every method I have read about and this kit ( http://www.supersprouter.com/products/propagation-station.aspx ) with rapid rooters, or root riot cubes, is hands down the easiest and most efficient method I have found. With a thermostat you can control the germination environment extremely well. It is as easy as add water, drop in seed, and wait. I use them for just about everything, including fruits and veggies. Some flowers germ 3x faster than just dropping the seed in soil.

Probably comes across like a salesman, but that really is how well the setup works for me.

7. I think that I'm going to try the rapid rooters. I use a humidity dome and everything I just don't understand why the rockwool won't do right it is either to dry or to wet

8. #9 geetardude, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    Well, i started my seedling in soil. Then when it was ready for nutes about a month and a half later rinsed the roots of all the soil, and put in hydro DWC with just the hydroton rocks, no rockwool. It's looking decent :) If you're having a lot of trouble with rockwool maybe try that, although you will put her through a little stress in the transplant from soil to hydro.

9. i used to have problems with rockwool too. rapid rooters work way better & can be placed right in to your dwc when ready. or you can build a cheap aerocloner. that also worked well for me. good luck & dont give up, you will figure it out

10. Thanks for all the advice I'm gonna try the rapid rooters gonna go pick some up tomorrow how often should I water the rapid rooters while my seedlings are growing roots

11. Always keep any medium moist so the soft roots can penetrate the medium. WET medium will smother the fragile roots. Put a fan in the environment to help dry out overwatered containers.

12. how are things going for you fasthonda?

13. Pretty good check out my other thread in hydroponic growing called ph rising and I have put some pics up of my girls