About to flower first SCROG grow...Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by blackyblack, Apr 26, 2017.

1. That's cool. Btw I don't mean to pry I don't know how long you been doing this. I just want to make sure you are set up good. Your DWC I didn't see a chiller do you know what your temps have been?

2. I've been growing on and off for a few years. First really committing to DWC though. I've been monitoring PH and keeping it at around 5.8 for veg. PPM at about 850-900 during veg, and temp in low to mid 60's. I don't have a chiller so I have been using ice packs when the temp gets too high. Never been above 70 as far as I know and now that the canopy is so substantial its staying in the low 60's on its own so I haven't had to cool it down in a while. Its starting to warm up where I live though so I might have to invest in a chiller but they're expensive :(

• Like Like x 1
  3. Whats the best PPM level for flower in your opinion?

4. #25 Diatt, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Hard to say on that. I am still learning many things about nutes and what I like along with the ladies. But different strains and thing things can happen. Some like the feed light like Blue berry where some like the feed heavy much heavier.

Best way to find out imo is to run your strain a few times and figure out the low point and the high points. Atleat this is what I been doing for example. My ladies during Veg where hungry girls. Even at 700PPM, they kept drinking the nutes more then the water. I saw this by my PPMs going down and my PH going up every day.

I switched and made it 1400PPM. I noticed that was too much for them because my PPMs where going up and my PH was starting to fall. This tells me they where drinking more water then the nutes and that makes the feed even stronger. I changed my res(was a week of me watching), I found that they are liking 900 in my early flower.

What feed are you using by the way?

My advice would be it's a touch and feel game. If you run the strain a few times with the goal of finding your high and low points you will see what works for you. Lot of factors like Lights, Temps, Strain, Nutes, Age/Stage, Pot Size, Water Source and I am sure other things.

Ah nice you are ahead of the curve :D And from what I seen 65-70 is a great range yeah. Is this in a home that is AC'd?

And there are ways to get around chillers because yeah thats a decent cost and then you have to power it. You prob can't do it, but for me my tank was getting 85F, I dug a hole and now it stays 64-67 all the time for me. I've done the frozen jugs before, that sucks. I hated picking them out and all the wetness. I am long term lazy lol, if I have to keep doing something over and over long term I want ways to cut it out.

5. Aga
    Again, thanks so much for the advice man. As far as nutes, I am using Humboldt county's whole series. I've used them pretty much my whole grow career but thinking about branching out next time. I agree that its pretty much a trial and error process based on the strain. I'm already cloning this one and going to, as you said, run the same strain for the next 3 or 4 times. Another great thing about hydro is how fast the plants respond. Mine was mag deficient at first, and within a day after adding mag to the reservoir she was perfectly healthy again. don't see that in soil. I can't dig a hole unfortunately, but i live in a pretty mild climate so hopefully I won't have to worry about temps too much. Definitely something I am going to keep an eye on moving into summer though caus root rot sucks!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Right on man thank you! Shes from a clone of gorilla glue that I got off craigslist lol. This is the first time ive done DWC the right way and I can not fucking believe the difference in development. That plant is exactly one month and 2 weeks old. I will continue to update!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah things happen much faster in Hydro, you may even finish early as well. Something that may take a week in Soil, then a few days to fix and a few days to see only takes about 2-3 in hydro.

But that's good means you are ready for it :)

8. Subbed @blackyblack! Beautiful job my man. I'm currently running in soil also but I've been really thinking about switching...and seeing your growth after 30 days vegging has me wanting to change even more!

So it really doubling your plant size? And I know that you're only running one but how do you think the maintenance of 10+ would be comparable to soil? Sorry for the questions but I'm really considering changing over soon. Thanks! And nice job again!

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. I honestly can't believe the difference. I've grown soil probably 10 or so times in the past. And played around with Hydro but never been diligent about monitoring PH/PPM levels until this time around. I used to see people posting pics after a month of hydro and not believing them because it seemed impossible. This time around, she is literally double the size I would have in Soil. I actually just set up another tent yesterday with 4 linked bubble buckets and a reservoir. I don't think it would be much of a difference honestly with 10. My my next project will be RDWC just to make sure that everything is properly mixed. In principle, I think it would be the same amount of maintenance. The benefit of having a reservoir is you can just monitor the levels from there and add nutrients as well without having to disturb the roots in the buckets. I am still learning, but it really hasn't been difficult at all as long as you have the right equipment. I check levels 1-2 times per day and add water/nutes if there are any spikes or drops. Otherwise its very easy and the plants respond very quickly so you can fix problems almost immediately.

I would definitely recommend it the difference is night and day. Only negative is you can't go organic but worth it in my opinion. I'm never going back to soil!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Let me know if you have any questions. I honestly can't believe the difference in growth vs soil. You can also identify and address problems so much faster. I had a slight magnesium deficiency during early veg which showed up virtually over night. I added Magnesium nutes and within a day she was back to normal like nothing happened. Good luck, and again, let me know if you have any questions! I'm no expert but things are going well for me this time around! I'll check out your RDWC as well, thats my next project.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Small update: About a week into flowering. Starting to stretch quite a bit. Been doing some super cropping to keep the canopy as even as possible, but otherwise just letting her do her thing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hey mate she looks great.. did you buy all your setup as a kit ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. on AVERAGE. how much more expensive is hydro than soil? i know it depends on a lot but. and do u need more experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. I'd say its cheaper on average. Once you have everything, it can all be reused. With soil, you need to buy more every time unless you really know what you're doing. I'd recommend hydro any day of the week, but it takes a lot of diligence and I'm now having some serious problems (see below).

16. Big problems boys :( I regrettably went on vacation and tasked my room mate to take care of my baby and came back to disaster. Shes almost 3 weeks into flower and looking like shit. Came back and most of the fan leaves had yellowed or died completely. The pistils don't look right at all. They should be bigger by now, and many of them have started to turn red and shrivel up way too prematurely. Not seeing a lot of trichome action either. I'm guessing this is either heat stress, or lack of water (he probably forgot to top off reservoir). Also worried about root rot but not certain thats whats going on.

Regardless, anyone experience this before? Is my yield totally fucked, or is it still worth letting her finish? I just did a full reservoir change and have all the levels right but I'm afraid its too little too late. Any guidance would be very much appreciated. And to think...I was doing so well (sigh). Thanks guys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Really??? I pruned all the dead leaves. I feel like based on the rate she was growing before, shes been severely stunted. I guess maybe i'm just being over protective lol. Well see how she responds to the res change over the next few days I guess. Thanks!