About to finally start off a coco grow, just want to be double clear on watering.

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by KidKid, Apr 19, 2013.

1. From what I gather, I want to water until there is about 30 percent runoff. I should water whenever I feel they are drying up.

This sounds right?

Lastly, how much should I water seedlings.

2. I don't water that much your just throwing nutes n money down the drain. 10% run is plenty, when your pots are light it's time for more.

3. i find the almost bone dry then water till sufficient runoff as best method.

4. I like to water with at least 20% runoff.if you check the ppm's with the first bit of runoff you will notice them being perrty high.for example i feed with 800 ppms but when i test the first bit of runoff the ppms may be up around 1300 so i just keep watering untill i get a ppm reading coming out close to whats going in.i am a newbie on my first grow so that may or may not be right,but so far its working for me.

5. Bottom feeding seems to be taking a couple of weeks off of flowering. We water a 1/2 gallon every other day. Noticed that when you let them get too dry then they have to recover and it slows the process. This new way seems to be a winner for us. :D

6. How fast does the coco absorb the water when you bottom feed?

7. Coco wasn't such an easy medium for me to learn. I'm finding that if I let them get too dry, they seem to get a bit shocked. I've found that every two days is sufficiant so far. I probably let a little too much water run-off, but I've also had a difficult time dialing them in so I was always changing nute ratios and taking other issues "off the table" while I diagnosed. They seem to found their stride, and so have I. We're on our way to hopefully a successful first coco grow. My journal is in my signature if you wanna check out and throw in some input.

8. I am going to be going with the 6/9 micro/bloom with 1 tsp Epsom salt per gallon ( H3AD formula).

Anyone have experience with any of this?

9. Works great, I just dont use the epsom. :smoke:

10. Whats the most popular water/feedint schedule?Water water feed, feed feed water, water feed water?

I need help

11. I know a lot of people feed every watering, then maybe once every week or two go with something light or just water. Flushing every 3 weeks.

I've done grows feeding every watering. JakesterJammin is currently feeding every morning then as the pots dry out, giving pH'd water in the afternoon. Last time I checked Asked is feeding every watering then once every week or two giving a feeding of just calmag and protekt.

If I had to pick from your list of options, I would say I have seen most people going with a "feed, feed, water" for me its a little more like "feed, feed, feed, calmag, feed, feed, feed, calmag, flush"

12. So...I am using coco/perlite 50/50 and RO water. Are you saying that it isn't necessary to ad cal-mag at every feeding? What strength nutes for seedlings and when do you increase the concentration? peace...bongwater (also my first coco grow)

13. I've never used RO before, but I've read of people adding in about 100ppm (or something around there) of calmag before mixing in the rest of their nutes. I use tap and a nutrient line that has more cal in it than most but every week or two I give them a feeding of just calmag and no other nutes.

As for seedlings, I duno, I tend to error on the side of caution with feeding seedlings, but for the first week I just use tap, then tap with calmag+, then 300ppm working to about 500ppm veg nutes second week, third week I'm usually getting closer to full strength.

14. So far, I've been feeding every time. Just using about 1/3 recommended dose on the Fox Farm Hydroponic feed schedule. I have quite a bit of run off, but always have a consistent PH in the medium as well as available nutrients. I'm wondering if there is a more effective method or if mine is sufficient. Oh... and it's tap distilled water here.

15. My biggest concern is I am not going to use Calmag. I am using H3AD's 6/9 micro/bloom formula with Epsom salt. Apparently it has enough Cal, and Epsom adds the Mag. I am hopping it doesn't cause for issues in the long run.

16. If not I'm sure someone has come up with a good formula maybe dropping the Epsom maybe and just running calmag or some such thing.

17. I was just using epsom, but thought I'd play it safe...drop the epsom... and recently purchased the Cal/Mag. This is an important grow for me. Then again... any grow is important to me, so.... lol:wave:

18. I've tried a few different scenarios with regards to coco nutes and watering.

Canna coco nutes are made for tap water, but I find I need to supplement with calmag+ throughout grow until heavy bloom then just supplement with epsom salts if needed thereafter.

I now use House and Garden coco nutes, which are made for RO water. I use tap water and find I don't need to add calmag on a regular basis, probably every 4-5 feedings. Still adding epsom salts during heavy bloom. Cannabis uses more calcium and magnesium than other plants and the nutes are designed for general coco growing.

About the feed/watering question...I recommend feeding every watering and keeping the coco moist at all times, otherwise you will throw your salt and EC levels consistently out of wack, causing undue stress. I always strive to get about 20% runoff to ensure your getting the salts out and avoiding having to do heavy flushes during grow.

19. How safe is tap to use in just coco alone?

20. A lot of people use just tap.