? about starting my plants

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by capecodkid, Sep 4, 2009.

1. i have a 400 watt Hps but no MH bulb. I have a 2 4ft 40 watt sylvania grow lux light. will they work for the first couple weeks b4 i put them under the hps? If not where is the cheapest place to get a 400 watt MH online?:smoking:.....Thx

2. First off, don't put an MH bulb into your HPS ballast. MH bulbs require an MH ballast-- you'll need an HPS bulb. High tech garden supply is a good vendor on ebay for this sort of thing.

As for the light(s?) that you have right now, they're better than nothing, but 40 watts really isn't enough to grow a plant. The rule of thumb is 100 watts per plant. The growlux light will do in a pinch, but don't rely on it for "a couple of weeks", as this will stunt your plants' growth. It's better to wait a little bit longer before you start growing, so that you don't risk having your plants under insufficient lights for too long.

3. can i use just the HPS from start till finish????:confused:

4. Yes.

If you make sure to get a conversion bulb, then I suppose it would be OK. But you'd be better off using an HPS bulb now, and then switching over to an MH bulb once you get it if you really want to.