About graduating college with around a 2.0 gpa...

Discussion in 'General' started by Stoooooner, Apr 26, 2007.

1. I was just wondering, how bad is it - workwise after college - to graduate with a gpa in the low 2's? I'm in my third year at college and just declared my major last semester after switching around a couple times. I'm going to be here for at least 5 years for a 4 year major in Geography, and it's not that that I'm worried about..it's my gpa which is around 2.25 right now. I guess college and me haven't mixed all that well together..I'm not failing out or anything, but just barely above the required 2.0 for the college of liberal arts and sciences. I picked geography as my major last semester and am still in the 100 and low 200 level classes...making me feel somewhat dumb? I guess, compared to friends the same age who are well into their 300 level classes. I'm getting 3 B's and 2 C's right now...although I got a bad piece of news today when I read the fine print in my west. civ 205 syllabus - it says 2 absences are allowed, any more after that deducts 3% from your final grade. Well the teacher takes attendance most of the time but I guess I assumed around 5 absences were allowed since that's what it's been like in most of my classes, and this is a lecture class as well..and in previous classes the penalty wasn't as severe as 3%. I think I have probably 6 and possibly 7 or so misses...so basically I'm screwed in that class and lose at least 12% off the bat. I have an 8 page paper due in it on Friday and no matter how hard I work on that, and how well I do on the final, I'll probably still get a D in the class. This is just kind of depressing I guess...It's looking like it's gonna be another 2.0 semester, and still not into advanced classes. Sorry for this pointless ranting but I guess I'm starting to think I just may not fit in in college..kind of depressing. I DO try hard, it just feels as if grasping onto concepts and ideas is much harder for me than it was Freshman year and in high school..

2. For the one you missed 8 classes for, go talk to the teacher. Sometimes they'll cut you a break if you come up with a good excuse.

Perhaps you should chill on the toking if you're having a harder time in school too. Maybe a month or so T break.

Just some suggestions. Good luck.

3. I'm in a similar boat;)...actually my gpa is 1.99 :eek:. I failed all my classes one semester and had to take academic leave...and I'm now on academic probation. College is tough, man. I was thinking of dropping out, but I changed my mind. Basically I gotta work my butt off for the rest of my collegiate career now. But I don't care the first two years were sooo worth it, and who cares if I gotta take another year to graduate...

4. Gotta raise those grades man, I did real bad my first year and I paid 7k to just fuck around it isn't worth it at all.

Always email/call a teacher when you're gunna miss a class, I learned the hard way I was legit sick last year and I still lost my credit for my classes, college profs can be mean.

5. hey man, C's get degrees.

But seriously, what line of work specifically are you hoping to get into as a geography major? I'd guess teacher, since that's the line of work all my friends that are geography majors are trying to get into. If that's the case, then you might want to start looking into districts that you'd want to work in, see what they require for new hires. If it's a higher GPA than you project to getting, then just retake a couple of the courses you did poorly in, those grades will replace. It might cause you to be in for another semester, but in the long-run it'll be worth it.

My GPA is shit too. I had an entire throwaway year, thanks to 3 deaths very close to me right before finals first semester, and then the kind of depression that causes you to lose nearly 60 pounds in 4 months the second semester. I'm slowly chipping away at that damage.

6. Its simple to repair your GPA, you retake the course you've done bad in and get better grades the second time around! Use the tutors there free all you have to do is talk to your prof and he/she will set you up with tutoring.

7. i feel ya bro, sympathies.

Anyway, dude I'll give you a piece of advice emoh. This is what I follow in my college courses as well.

1. NEVER smoke before class, Marijuana, though I do love it, does suppress your short term memory, and your educational intake, so use your common sense and don't do it. If you already don't, then good for you!

2. When your chillin with your friends, do homework in the breaks between sessions. This works out well for me because when my friends are having a cigarette break or just are really stoned and watching TV i do my homework. It works really well, I just have really shitty writing when I'm blitzed.

Like I said in number 1, I forgot my next step because I'm really faded right now hahaha. Peace Not Greed bro just do your work when you need to take shit serious and you'll be alright. Keep those grades up.

8. From what I've gathered, a diploma is a diploma. It's more "important" jobs like Doctors and Lawyers that employers worry about GPA and class ranking. I don't really know what you do with a degree in Geography, but unless you are applying to a really competitive and wealthy company, your GPA shouldn't matter.

But then again, I've never been a post-college Geagraphy major out looking for jobs, it's going to be real hard to repdict what that situation will be like for you. Maybe try to talk to some people in the field you are interested and get their opinions.

9. I got it made I'm on scholarship as long as I get above a 2.5 I don't have to pay tuition, most kids at my school have it I think. It's a good motivation to get good grades

10. dude, consider the opinion of a much older guy. the next few years are going to go by whether you get your diploma or not. you have to decide for yourself what will ultimately make you the happiest. if you are really in love with your career choice then go for it, and don't be so hard on yourself. you are supposed to enjoy the ride a little. don't let anyone pressure you into making a decision which only you can make for your happiness. I dropped out of college with a 3.85 GPA and to this day I don't regret it. it's all a matter of what is important to you, and try to consider where you'd like to be 10, 20, 50 years from now, but above all, remember to enjoy the ride. peace

11. I see grades as this:

Its just a measure of how well you memorize information and spew it back out on a test. That's all.

Now, true intelligence is how well you take that information and utilize it to form a better life for yourself.

School/College is a bogus concept only designed to earn a "degree."

12. absolutely correct. I was a math major and could've got by just fine with simply memorizing equations and formulas but I took it as a personal challenge to understand why the distance formula works and why the function of c works. I wasn't satisfied with just being able to get an A in the class, I wanted to understand what I was learning.

13. I thought it was D's for diploma. :p

Hey man I'm actually in quite a similar boat right now. I'm currently a junior at a relatively prestigious 4 year school, but I'm closer to the bottom of my class with a 2.2ish GPA. I pretty much slacked my first two years spending more time socializing than at the library. I know that this will somewhat impact my career opportunities so as of late I have really been working harder to help boost my numbers. Also remember that prospective employers will look at a lot more than just your GPA to determine whether or not you're a fit for their company. Involvement in clubs, activities, sports, volunteering, whatever else that rounds you out as an person is in my mind much more important than your grades alone.

I think that in the end though, as long as you graduate and get that diploma, you will be so far ahead of the game in so many aspects that you will no doubt find something you enjoy doing.

Keep on truckin bro

14. Knox what a cool quote, its so true. Peace brother. + rep