Abortion

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by g0pher, Dec 27, 2007.

1. The issue of abortion has confused me for a while now. I want to hear your ideas on the subject. Should abortion be allowed for women who do not want a child or do not have the means to take care of them, or is abortion a form of murder that should end immediately?

2. I am beside myself on abortion. I believe it is wrong in most rights, but I also feel it's acceptable in certain situations. Those situations being how early in the pregnancy you get the abortion, if the child is going to possibly end the life of the woman, or if it's a child conceived through rape. But if your getting an abortion just because you don't want the kid, I think that is wrong. There's a thing called giving it up for adoption.

3. Each situation is different. It should be up to the mother AND father together. However, a certain amount of responisibility MUST be taken. If you're mature enough to go out and fuck, you need to be mature enough to handle the consequences.

Now, if a woman gets raped and becomes pregnant....I believe that is a situation where an abortion is very acceptable..... if not necessary. If a 16 year old girl gets knocked up after her first time...... thats different. It depends on her grades, family life, and other things. If shes already a slut thats failing out of high school AND she has a support system/someone to help raise the kid...... why not keep it. If the girl is 2nd in her class with a academic scholorship to Harvard...... it would probably be a little harder to keep it.

My personal opinion on abortion is that it is often used waaaaaaaaaaay to freely as a means of escape. Escaping responsibility. A teenage girl who goes out and fucks KNOWING she can just get an abortion if she needs to, needs to have the baby.... strictly for karma's sake. If a teenager is with a dude for 2+ years and their first time results in a baby...... who knows.

There are too many different situations to say definately one way or the other. But generally, abortion isn't a great thing. But I guess when it comes down to it... its the females body and its up to her what she wants to do with it. But the male should ALWAYS be involved in the decision process. Unless he's in jail or something of the sort.

4. I'm not telling any woman (or teenage girl for that matter) how to behave. It's up to her. So instead of poking my nose around where it do not belong, I'm perfectly happy to let the individual woman make up her own mind of whether or not to let a pregnancy run to completion.

Entertaining the idea of forcing teenage girls to keep a baby to teach her a lesson, tsk, moralistic drivel.

5. Rape and possible injury to the mother are special cases, they are both health reasons to end a pregnancy. If a girl was raped and got pregnant, i dont think anybody can predict what kind of reaction the girl would have, and if she chooses to not have the child, she should be allowed to get rid of it.
    Likewise, if the baby poses a significant threat tothe mothers well-being, she should be able to abort the baby.

However, outside of that realm, i havent heard a convincing argument on either side of the abortion debate, so im neutral

Why does it matter how late into the pregnancy the abortion happens?

My stance is one of pro-responsibility, use a condom and/or BC and its real difficult to get pregnant, however the problem isnt going to go away so that stance isnt going to solve anything.
    At conception, that is another human life inside the mother, so why does the mother chose whether it lives or not, it is in her body, but i dont see why where it is located canges anything. It is inside you, however it is another individual.
    However, if the baby is going to be born into a poor, young, 'unfit' family maybe its in the babies/societies best interest to not be born

6. I believe in the right to choose.

If you choose to have unprotected sex and become pregnant, you have chosen to have a child. It is now your responsibility.

If you are raped or conceive via faulty birth control, you have not chosen to have a child. You still retain the option to have the child if you wish.

Unfortunetely creating laws for such circumstances is quite difficult as those of the former will lie about faulty birth control(or worse yet, cry false rape). There is not much chance of proving otherwise (unless little cameras are installed in you know where ).

On a separate issue, what about a man's right to choose? Honestly I have never heard mention of who cares what the father wants to do. Granted it is difficult without testing to prove who the father is (unless our handy cameras are around). Men must take on the burden of fatherhood, or at least child support, regardless of whether they wanted the child. Yet they have no hand in choosing abortion. On the other hand if they have waited their whole lives for this child, and the woman decided on abortion, they have no say in the matter and are utterly devastated.

7. that's pretty much the way I feel about it but as AlphaQ was sayin, tryin to create laws for those circumstances is pretty much impossible.

8. pro-choice up through the first trimester, if you don't get it done by then you've got a human inside you.