ABC news = 81% say yes

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by peanutbutter, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ABC news: 81 percent of Americans favor legal mmj.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/PollingUnit/1100a3MedicalMarijuana.pdf
    ABC NEWS/WASHINGTON POST POLL: MEDICAL MARIJUANA
    EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE AFTER 5 p.m. Monday, Jan. 18, 2010
    High Support for Medical Marijuana
    Eight in 10 Americans support legalizing marijuana for medical use and nearly half favor
    decriminalizing the drug more generally, both far higher than a decade ago.
    With New Jersey this week poised to become the 14th state to legalize medical marijuana, 81
    percent in this national ABC News/Washington Post poll support the idea, up from an already
    substantial 69 percent in 1997. Indeed the main complaint is with restrictions on access, as in the
    New Jersey law.
    Fifty-six percent say that if it's allowed, doctors should be able to prescribe medical marijuana to
    anyone they think it can help. New Jersey's measure, which is more restrictive than most, limits
    prescriptions to people with severe illnesses. State health officials can add to the list.
    DECRIMINALIZE? – Apart from medical marijuana, there have been recent efforts to
    decriminalize marijuana more broadly in some states. A preliminary vote on one such measure is
    to be held in the Washington state Legislature this week. In California organizers say they've
    collected enough signatures to hold a statewide referendum on the issue next fall. And a separate
    proposal in California to legalize and tax the drug cleared a legislative committee last week. A
    Field poll there in April found 56 percent support for the idea, which its backers say would raise
    $1.3 billion a year.
    Nationally, this survey finds 46 percent support for legalizing small amounts of marijuana for
    personal use – the same as it was last spring, and well above its level in past years, for example
    39 percent in 2002 and 22 percent in 1997.
    GROUPS – Age is a factor. Just 23 percent of senior citizens favor legalizing marijuana for
    personal use; that jumps to 51 percent of adults under age 65. There are political and ideological
    differences as well: Thirty percent of conservatives and 32 percent of Republicans favor
    legalization, compared with 49 percent of independents, 53 percent of Democrats and more than
    half of moderates and liberals alike (53 and 63 percent, respectively).
    Medical marijuana, for its part, receives majority support across the political and ideological
    spectrum, from 68 percent of conservatives and 72 percent of Republicans as well as 85 percent
    of Democrats and independents and about nine in 10 liberals and moderates. Support slips to 69
    percent among seniors, vs. 83 percent among all adults under age 65.
    There are similar divisions on whether medical marijuana should be restricted or made available
    to anyone a doctor thinks it would help. Overall, 56 percent, as noted, prefer no restrictions,
    while 21 percent say it should be limited to terminally ill patients and an additional 21 percent
    say it should be limited to those with serious but not necessarily terminal illnesses.
    Liberals are 23 points more apt than conservatives, and Democrats 20 points more likely than
    Republicans, to oppose restrictions. There's also a difference between the sexes, with men 10
    points more likely than women to say the doctor should decide.
    But the main difference is whether people think marijuana should be permitted for medical uses
    in the first place. Among supporters, 63 percent would rely on the doctor's discretion. Among
    those who oppose medical marijuana, 75 percent say that if it is allowed, it should be limited to
    seriously or terminally ill patients.
    New Jersey passed its medical marijuana law this month and outgoing Gov. Jon Corzine is
    expected to sign it tomorrow morning, his last day in office. Medical marijuana first became
    legal in California in 1996, followed by Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana,
    Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state.
    METHODOLOGY – This ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted by telephone Jan.
    12-15, 2010, among a random national sample of 1,083 adults, including landline and cellphone-
    only respondents, with an oversample of African Americans (weighted to their correct
    share of the population) for a total of 153 black respondents. Results for the full sample have a
    3.5-point error margin. Click here for a detailed description of sampling error. Sampling, data
    collection and tabulation by TNS of Horsham, PA.
    Analysis by Gary Langer.
    ABC News polls can be found at ABCNEWS.com at The Polling Unit - ABC News
    Media contact: Cathie Levine, (212) 456-4934.
    Full results follow (*= less than 0.5 percent).
    1-40 previously released or held for release.
    41. In general, do you favor or oppose legalizing the possession of small amounts of
    marijuana for personal use?
    Favor Oppose No opinion
    1/15/10 46 51 2
    4/24/09 46 52 2
    10/24/02* 39 53 8
    5/27/97 22 75 3
    8/26/86 25 74 1
    5/19/86 22 77 1
    4/28/86 23 75 1
    3/24/86 21 78 1
    5/13/85 26 72 2
    *Time/CNN: "Do you favor or oppose the legalization of marijuana? (IF FAVOR) What
    about in small amounts, for example three ounces or less? Do you favor or oppose the
    legalization of marijuana in small amounts?"
    42. Regardless of what you think about the personal non-medical use of marijuana, do
    you think doctors should or should not be allowed to prescribe marijuana for medical
    purposes to treat their patients?
    Should Should not No opinion
    1/15/10 81 18 1
    5/27/97 69 27 4
    43. If doctors are allowed to prescribe marijuana to patients, should it be limited to
    patients who are terminally ill and near death; or also allowed for patients who have
    serious but not fatal illnesses; or should it be allowed for any patient the doctor
    thinks it could help?
    Terminally Serious/ Any No
    ill not fatal patient opinion
    1/15/10 21 21 56 2
    5/27/97 29 13 52 6
    ***END***

2. Thanks peanutbutter

Great post - lets legalize it now.

clinton

3. awesom dude thanks for the info i cant believe its almost a 50/50 split on legalizing the personal use of marijuana, of under 3 ounces!
    could you imagine the results they had said 1 ounce? deffinately more in favor then those who oppose i would imagine, anyways. its going to be so sick when we can all toke legally

4. Legalize!

5. What's up with old people? :rolleyes:
    I know they've been brainwashed far longer than the rest of us, but come on, why is medicine an issue of morality, and who wants to see anyone suffer?
    I think the people that voted against are the same ones that leave their right turn signals on for miles. :p

6. we can do this!! hopefully in my lifetime this shit can be accomplished!!

i say protest in the streets of manhattan if we dont get what we want

7. #7 tharedhead, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010

I dunno now, some of you young whipersnappers who have been through the D.A.R.E program seem to have been pretty well brainwashed, without the excuse of senility :)

Its been shown many times that older people taking polls often give what they think will be the socially acceptable answer, regardness of their true beliefs. Its called "social desirability bias" (see wiki below). They have to adjust for this tendancy in some polls. So the over 65's may say they don't support legalization, then vote for it when they are assured privacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_desirability_bias
    [​IMG]
    I want to get back to smoking my bong

8. We just have to outlive them.

9. As long as we dont have a republican president next election i think there is a lot of room for progress.

10. the consensus is: go green!

11. Awesome news! It's amazing how far the legalization movement has come in such a short period. I'm so glad people are starting to wake up and reject the lies!

12. Quoted from my post in the other 81% say yes thread:

I don't really trust polls. Ask any pollster and they'll tell you that they can word a question differently to get a different answer from people. They could have phrased the question differently and gotten incorrect answers. It could also be the areas tested. Polls are completely useless and our government knows it. The government is very strict because they are misinformed on everything. The original drug studies stemming from the hippie scare were biased in hopes of scaring people into giving up another freedom. The scariest thing is that low doses of LSD-25 worked as well as opiates for the treatment of chronic pain caused by cancer and major trauma in a 60's study. We've shelved drugs that have much more medicinal value that marijuana, so I can't imagine we'll ever see federal legalization. The same thing is happening with salvia. It's being banned one state at a time because people are misinformed and think it's the new acid. They even blamed it for a kid's suicide months after he tried salvia! They're just trying to keep the counter-culture down to take more power from the people, which the founding fathers would completely disagree on. What we need is what Thomas Jefferson said should happen every once in a while to show that the people are in control of the government (hence the second amendment), a nice rebellion. :eek:

13. You mean a president just like our current liberal president who doesn't believe in legalization and if he did, wouldn't even have the backbone to do it? Newflash: If democrats were any different than republicans, Clinton would have put that on his 8 year long to-do list.