A world without internet

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by isciol, Oct 20, 2011.

1. I wonder what it would be like if the internet was never invented. Before the internet became widespread for all to use it was made to seem that good morals were all around, now obviously there was evil and crime but did it escalate with the popularity of the trolling internet and suggestive video games? Would we be better off or is it the availability of all the world news that makes us see how much evil there is, giving the illusion that before we could hear about it back then that it was almost nonexistant. Just my thoughts, what does GC think?

2. Organized crime and violence have always been a problem in our world. If anything, the internet has helped us. Yeah, some people have an hero'd because of things said online, and there's lots of info about explosives and shit, but there's a load of valuable info, too. That's not to mention all the careers that are now available thanks to the internet, ranging from server administrarion to web hosting, technicians and government hackers, etc.
    Plus, we have GC!

3. I'm 32. I was a teenager when the internet became mainstream.

Let me put it this way. It was either watching tv, or going out and doing shit. No cell-phones - nada.

If you wanted to look something up, you had to go to a library. Or have an encyclopedia set.

Now, we have it all right in the palm of our hands. I never saw it coming. :)

And it cracks me up when I see 75 year-old people using the newest smartphones (I'm a server at a restaurant). I can only imagine what they're thinking!!!!

4. The internet is a double edged sword of sorts. It's has revolutionized the world, but at the same time, it has contributed it's fair share of problems.

On one hand, we have unlimited information. We can find just about anything on the internet. We can work our jobs online, we can get educations online, and we can even shop online. It's added a convenience factor that is probably unrivaled since the automobile. Once the internet reached cellphones, another milestone had been added. People who had access to cellphones, but not an internet connection, could now talk to people globally.

On the other hand, convenience is almost as detrimental as it is beneficial. One could argue people have gotten lazier, more paranoid, and more illiterate. Grammar skills suffer, people accuse computers/internet for contributing to obesity, media is at our figure tips and thus we have more information available than ever, and it's overwhelming.

Ultimately, I think the internet has helped create a better world. I couldn't imagine life without it anymore. I also believe it contributes more good than bad.

5. Guys, I was in my 30's when the Internet started catching a gear. I jumped on and enjoyed it, shared it with my son's...but IMO the good is better than the bad it has added! Ask any question...google it and you have some pretty serious confidence you are looking at the truth. Connecting with people all over the world! Sure does it have the bad, pedophiles to serial killers, uh huh! They were here before the Internet and they will be here with the cockroaches and the nuclear debris! :)

6. a world without internet is no world at all.:p