Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

A veteran pothead's description of Indica vs. Sativa

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by ADVOR, Sep 3, 2009.

1. We all have our own ideas of what Indica is in comparison to Sativa. I myself have been smoking for too long to count. But still, I have trouble defining "Indica" and "Sativa". Chances are, this is difficult for me because I still smoke middies when I'm low on cash (which seems to be a lot).

Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of chronic. Too many strains to remember them all, but some I can never forget: Northern Lights, Super Skunk, Cinderella, Blueberry Kush, Sensi Star (the buds were literally pink and red), Bubble Gum (!!!), Sweet tooth, Green Crack, Grandaddy Purp x Silver Haze, Headband, Master Kush, and the list goes on.

Years ago, I was getting medical strains shipped in from California. Nowadays, I have found a grower of sorts who lives in my area.

So anyway, enough rambling. An experienced chronic smoker, can you please define for me Indica and Sativa in the following seven ways:

1. The High (this one is obvious, but for those who aren't experienced)
    2. The Smell
    3. The Taste
    4. Growability (how easy/difficult is it grow?)
    5. Burnability (how fast/slow does it burn? For hypothetical purposes, let's say that it's dried and manicured perfectly.)
    6. The Cough (Hypothetically speaking, let's say you fill your favorite bowl/bubbler/bong completely with smoke and take a large rip.)
    7. The Appearance (of dry, cured nugs as well as the living plants)

2. youre asking for a book report haha but im interested in a comprehensive comparison if anyone goes for it. maybe osg can shed some knowledge...

3. 1a. The high of an indica is more body load, think couchlock, the sativa high tends to be more soaring, centered behind the eyes, it can be energetic and uplifting

2a The smells vary by the terpenes, but as a genreal rule, Sativas have fruity/lemony/lawn type smells while the indcas are the skunky raw meat heavy mj typical smell.

3a. Sativas are usually fruitiyer and tastier, with indicas being skunky, but grow nutes where grown soil type stress etc can change the terpene balance and thus the tastse

4a Indicas and Pakis are great for indoor, they are shorter and squater with more branching internodes per lenght of stem. A pure sativa is difficult at best to grow indoors as it is very finicky plus they like to grow tall and strecht, they are best grown outdoors

5a they burn the same, the buds from sativas tend to be fluffier, and may burn a bit quicker, but thats about it

6a THe cough is usually due to improper flush, impurities, or taking a too big of a hit. Although, indica smoke tends to be more expansive in the lungs as opposed to sative, making coughing more likely with an indica

7a. A sativa is lanky has open flower structures, will usually smell fruity lemony leaves can have up to 13 fingers. most pure sativas have 11 and 13 fingered fans. the fingers are real small and serated. an indica will stay squater and darker green, it will be skunky during flower, the nugs will be compact and tight.

4. 1. It is a head high, the effects manifesting themselves in the brain with a buzzing, and also around the scalp, neck muscles, and face with buzzy pressures. Pressure changes in the muscles along my face/neck/scalp are very noticeable and enjoyable.
    Sometimes, a lightness to the limbs is present, a tingling sensation in the extremeties. It doesnt affect the muscles themselves like an indica body high, but makes the entire limb feel light and tingly.
    Other than buzzyness in the brain, which isnt a great description, cerebral thoughts and processes are affected. Creativity is enhanced through the removal of thought barriers in the mind- you become silly, with happy euphoria.
    Some sativas like diesels and skunks make coherent thought and logic very difficult, thoughts are garbled. Some sativas keep a distinct clarity to thought processes, making it easy to do difficult tasks.
    Sativas can be more or less energetically stimulating. While most wake up the brain with all the buzzy action, some provide this soaring effect of wanting to move. It feels like a point from your center of gravity has potential energy toward wherever you are travelling, and it pulls you there, like it takes less energy to get up and move.

2. Smell
    Sativas have a large variety of smells, generally on the "light" side. Pure sativas never get the deep dank earthy kush smell that indicas do. Pure sativas smell like combinations of spicy, lemony, peppery, garlicky, sharp, sour, herbal.
    Its hard to define them, as they all smell different. The smells they have in common are generally acute, light, sharp smells. The exceptions to that are the strong diesel and skunk aromas created by those respective sativas.
    African sativas though for example have a wonderful light tropical peppery herbal smell.

3. Taste
    Sharp, generally less pleasant than indicas, with many exceptions. Sometimes sativas are just harsh and herbal tasting. Mostly, the smoke is sharp on the tongue, and spicy, with an exhale of herbs, and some citrus.
    Hard to describe and varies a lot too, like jack herer taste like smoked lemons to me on the inhale.

4. Yield/Grow
    I dont grow and never have, but all I hear is that sativas are hard to grow, grow really huge and tall, and ultimately yield little. Because of the small yields, a lot of people dont grow sativas, and indicas are more prevalent. This also leads to crosses for yield. Like in california someone crossed trainwreck with big bud, to make it yield more, and it worked, it makes huge fist sized nugs that look like trainwreck, but the high is not like classic trainwreck and it sucks. Now real trainwreck is hard to find in dispensaries, its like 3/4 of the trainwreck out there is big bud x wreck.

5. Burnability
    Sativas for the mostpart burn faster than indicas, but theres a very good reason. Sativas are generally fluffier and less dense than indicas, because of the different climates they grow in. Sativas grow in the hot so need to have more air pockets in them to stay ventilated and cool, indicas grow in the cold mountains so they make fat solid nugs to keep warm.

6. /
    7. /

5. Indica- the Cannabis Indica plant is generally shorter than Sativa, and has bigger, more dense buds. Indica will give you a relaxed couch-lock body high. Good for late night when you wanna crash

Sativa- The Cannabis Sativa plant is much bigger than Indica, Heights can easily reach over 6ft. The buds on the plant itself are usually more sparsely placed throughout the branches. Giving some Sativas a lanky look. Sativas will give you a head high, usually energetic, and creative. Great for listening to music, playing instruments, exercising, or just being active.

I just got some random nug from my friend it must be some sativa my heart is racing like a motha fucka i gotta go for a run or something!

6. 1. The High (this one is obvious, but for those who aren't experienced) Indica's are more of a couchlock body high high Sativa's give more of a mental high, a bit of a headrush feeling
    2. The Smell - It really depends on what kind of strain it is
    3. The Taste - Sativas tend to have a more fruity flavor, but it still depends on the strain
    4. Growability (how easy/difficult is it grow?) - Indicas are bushy and have fat leaves and Sativas have long leaves and branch out more. It really depends on the growing condition and the strain, but indicas are generally easier to grow.
    5. Burnability (how fast/slow does it burn? For hypothetical purposes, let's say that it's dried and manicured perfectly.) Its both pretty much the same
    6. The Cough (Hypothetically speaking, let's say you fill your favorite bowl/bubbler/bong completely with smoke and take a large rip.) Same lol, if its good weed theyll both kill
    7. The Appearance (of dry, cured nugs as well as the living plants) Most indicas have dense buds and sativas are more fluffy