Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

A thought regarding The Gateway Theory (warning: kind of long)

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by HeaDiEs RusH, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Also, doesn't anyone else think it would be extremely weird if someone was doing heroin and meth but had NEVER smoked?

Doesn't mean it led them to it but...I mean if you're gonna put heroin into your system why would you have an issue with anything else?

2. Ok, that shit is whack. I'll give you the proper way to interupt drugs. Marijuana, Cocaine, Meth blah blah, they're all drugs. They alter your mind, atleast i know the shit im smoking does. Marijuana especially, is considered obviously by you; to be the gateway drug. Now i never thought i'd do drugs, or smoke or drink. I was wrong. I did all those things because i wanted to. Marijuana doesn't change the way you think, or want something. Theres no proof showing it, atleast to me there isn't.

I don't really feel like writing you an essay, cause truth is im baked right now. I stay smokin blunts, and no gateway theory bullshit is going to change that. I stay doing whatever the fuck i want.

3. Actually, marijuana is in fact a Schedule 1 drug, while cocaine is a Schedule 2. The gateway theory is a theory based on a few individuals, but it is a theory that says it affects everyone. The people who want a more intense high are the ones with that specific psychological trait. I mean, there has never been scientific proof that marijuana triggers a craving for more intense highs. If you have an addictive personality, you might be inclined to try harder drugs.

Think of it this way. Is milk a gateway drug? I mean, someone who is an alchoholic started off with milk. If you like the taste of milk then your body releases endorphines (spelling?) because you like it, a very very very mild form of a high. So by the governments definition, milk is a gateway drug.

4. You misinterpreted my post. I don't think that marijuana is a gateway drug. I was just saying that *any possibility* that it may have as a gateway drug lies in its illegal status. It's just a theory and obviously does not apply 100% of the time.

5. I mostly agree with the OP. I believe marijuana is a gateway drug at the moment, not necessarily a gateway to other drugs, but, as the OP sort of said, it's a gateway to the black market for drugs. Since marijuana is so harmless, and kids have heard so many lies about it, I think a lot of them assume that they were lied to about all the other drugs as well. So in many ways, the gateway drug theory is perpetuated by the propaganda put out by the very people who want to stop drug use. If they could just come to terms with the fact that marijuana is relatively harmless and support decriminalization/legalization, the line between hard and soft drugs would be much clearer to impressionable youngsters.

6. i believe that marijuana is marijuana. not a gateway drug. some people have gateway mentalities that restrict them from enjoying the herb and instead enables them to abuse weed and sometimes move onto harder substances used as a "crutch". although i dont indulge in other substances, i do understand why some do choose to indulge in other substances as it may be their cup of tea as bud is for me

7. I've been thinking about this topic as well for the past weeks when I smoke.

Not a gateway drug to other hard drugs but something bigger.

Call me crazy but...maybe Marijuana is a gateway drug to see past all the bullshit, maybe the government is scared of what Marijuana does because Marijuana gets you questioning about the things in life. hell... I could be wrong but that's just my thought.

8. Gateway drugs are entirely subjective since it comes down to so many factors that influence the individual. Personally, i'd say it's the social circles that weed has the potential to drop you into that dictates this theory. Guy smokes weed, meets other people who smoke weed - i've hung about with a wide range of people from pills obsessed psychedellic nuts to just average chill guys who probably won't do anything else in their life.

It's also your own disposition to experimenting, and what interests you - for instance, lucid dreaming is something that fascinates me... and so does DMT.

Different strokes, Different folks.

9. I never believed the gateway theory was true, but now i'm thinking the opposite. Marijuana (for me) made me realise alot of things, I never fully understood how fucked up the government was until I smoked and this made me realise that 'Hey, what if any other drugs arent bad for you' (which originally i thought the opposite due to alot of BS read to us).

Weed has done two things to me, its made me fascinated in drugs, in general. It's turned me away from ALOT of drugs, but it's also made me want to experiement with a few others.

Speed and eccys are probably the most common party drug (obviously) and where I live, it's not uncommon to be offered them in clubs and what not. Some of these people I know and they would of never touched weed before MDMA. (Of course, this doesnt speak for everyone who does/has done MDMA).

Then you see people (like me) who start off with weed, they realise that it's harmless and start to wonder 'hmm, what other harmless drugs are there?'. After I properly started smoking weed I came to realise a number of other drugs that are fucking epic, and have no negative effect on the body when done correctly (LSD, Shrooms and a number of other natural plants).

Before I smoked weed (other than trying it occasionally with friends, but not really knowing much) i probably would of done MDMA if the offer came up (thank fuck it didnt :p) After weed, I will never touch it, ever.

Shrooms and other hallucinagetics now interest me, and even though I havnt done any, I will.

I dont really know where im going here but what im trying to say is:
    Weed gave me interest in a number of hallucinatics, made me 'want to try them' :O but to me that is not a bad thing. I will never do a drug that i know nothing about, or is harmfull (can't say i thought that before weed).
    Weed made me interested in other drugs, and ill deffaintly do more after trying weed.
    Good drugs are harmless, since i've been doing weed i've pretty much stopped drinking, because its bad for you.

If i smoked weed and then wanted to do MDMA then yes, that aint good. But if i smoked weed then wanted to do mushrooms BECAUSE its safe, whats wrong with that?

As long as drugs don't kill you brain or your body, whats wrong with them? gateway theory is true (to me atleast) but hell, what the fuck is wrong with certain drugs! as long as you know what you're putting into your body is safe.

I got no idea if anyone will understand what i'm trying to say here, as i had a hard as fuck time trying to explain it lol