A theoretical CFL grow...your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BillyO, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Here is an idea for a grow that I am helping my cousin plan. He lives in an area where outdoor growing works well, and he has a little experience with doing that - but he wants to try indoor for a year round personal stash. Hopefully it works out so he can share the crop =)

When doing outdoor grows he pretty much just sexed the plants and then let nature do its thing, so he and I both needed a lot of "education" on how to grow indoors. Thankfully this forum has been a huge help to both of us, and we feel confident that he should be able to get a few ounces by Christmas time, or hopefully a little before.

Here are the details, and we would really appreciate your thoughts, criticisms, input or suggestions:

1-Grow Space: Walk-in closet, about 4' x 8' with 8' ceiling. The walls are white, but I think he plans on getting a mylar drape or some other reflective material to enclose the plant and lights

2-Lights: Eight 23w 6500k CFL for veg which will be swapped out for eight 23w 2700k CFL for flowering. He wants to try mixing in 2 or 4 3000k CFL for a broader spectrum, but I think its a waste of wattage. Going to use a digital timer and 24, 18-6, 12-12 photoperiods.

3-Soil: 60% potting soil, 15% perlite, 10% masonry sand, 10% worm castings, 5% pre-mix

4-Water/Nutes: Going to do hand watering/liquid nutes as needed

5-Seed: 5 or 6 random bag seeds from some decent reg he got this summer and saved. Going to try to germ and plant them all, and hope that at least 1 is a viable female. I want him to try LST'ing but he just wants to let it grow naturally.

Your suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated. I think he will be fine without any odor control because the grow space doesn't have an outside vent, or any outside air really, and will only have 4-5 plants at most - probably only 1 or 2.

He will be using an 18" oscillating stand fan to circulate air and cool the lights.

Thanks for reading/replying!

2. Good luck. I can't see any way that you will be harvesting by Christmas, unless you decide to celebrate it in March....

3. As far as lights...you can just use the 6500k during flowering if you want to wider spectrum.

As far as smell...you BETTER take care of it..Unless you live in the mountains alone smell is the #1 way people get caught. Indoor plants will reek up a house trust me

4. #4 demo420, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2010
    How do you take care of the smell? Not being a smartass, honestly just asking as I plan to grow in a house this spring. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, what if it's a college house where everybody just tokes all day in it anyways? Haha

5. http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/569506-diy-carbon-filter-compendium.html

Thats a safety issue IMO...but i mean its your decision

6. #6 HeavenCent, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2010
    That is not enough lighting at all

I have 4.1 square feet pushing 520 watts = 126.82 watts per sq foot

You have 32 square feet pushing 192 watts = 6 watts per sq foot

Granted I am little bit overboard with mine, but thats because I grow some primo shit, but you are way under the legal limit to properly grow marijuana.

7. Ok, thanks for letting me know that he will need more time, even if you said it like kind of a smartass.

Obviously that is not nearly enough light for his entire area, He will only be using the corner of the area, and having 1-3 plants under the light - sorry I should have specified that. Surely that is enough for a couple plants in the corner of that room, right? Like maybe 6sq ft max? What do you think?

8. Thank you for the information, will the smell just be throughout the connecting room, a little down the hall, or through the whole house. If its not going to be noticeable throughout the whole house he would probably be ok with it.

Does the smell somehow permeate outdoors even if the room is not vented outdoors? If so, I could then see how odor control would be needed even for a small grow of 1-3 plants like he plans on doing - but if not then really the only thing you have to worry about would be the smell being noticed within the house, which I can see being an issue for some people too, but for him I don't think it would be that huge of a deal, unless say the smell also got in your furniture and clothes or something. lol...

9. That still is pretty low I think that comes out to 32 watts per sq foot or its close to that.

To get Dank bud (the kind a man can be proud of) you must break that 100 watt per sq foot barrier with CFLs

10. So I look into using Smart Pots

Smart Pots - Container Gardening, Hydroponic Fabric Containers

They are pretty cheap and the people that use them swear by them. Me included.

You don't need added filler in your soil such as perlite. I use straight Fox Farms Ocean Forest and start lite nutes 1 week before belowing slowly getting stronger before fading down before harvest.

11. You will not harvest a single bud by Xmas, so get that out of you head now. Its way too late to think about Xmas harvest. Indoor grows (except for auto flowers) take at least 4 months, unless you are going 12/12 from seed. Even then, you won't harvest by Xmas. My harvest date by calendar (I harvest by looking at the trichs, but I mapped out approx when it should be done) is December 26, and I started this grow in early September.

And if you want a decent grow, you gotta get at least 100w (real watts, not equiv) on each plant. With CFL, its preferable to double that (200w per plant), but you can get by with 100.

So you need more lighting.

You also need ventilation:smoke: for air exchange, and something for odor removal.

Good Luck to you.

12. I grew 2 plants in my grow tent in the summer. A White Widow, and a Northern Lights. The NL is even known for not being a smelly strain. I did not get a carbon filter for that grow. I also do not vent outside of my house.

My entire house smelled like pot, and friends would come over (That do NOT know i grow) and ask me why it smelled like pot outside of my house.

So yea, even 3 plants can smell so strong, and reach outside of the house.

I have a carbon scrubber this time around. I learned my lesson.

13. [quote name='BillyO']Ok, thanks for letting me know that he will need more time, even if you said it like kind of a smartass.

Didn't mean to be a smartass..... Just thought based on your illustrated basic grasp you would probably know that it will take much longer than that. Good luck with your grow!

14. Thanks for all - I have him looking into better vent and some sort of filter and powder or gel now.

Thanks.