Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

A terrible, burning/scratching feeling in the throat after exhaling.

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by StayTrue, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Exhibit A)
    My girlfriend, her best friend and I were smoking from my new bubbler one night at their apartment. My girlfriend doesn't smoke too much too often because she has trouble with her lungs and the smoke messes with them sometimes, so when she burped after taking a hit and made a face as though she just swallowed chili pepper as she ran to the bathroom, I just figured it had to do with her bad lungs. After that hit she didn't smoke anymore and kept complaining about how her throat was super scratchy, and burning, and how that's all she could think about the whole time she was high. Basically it pretty much ruined her high. I felt bad but there was nothing I could do.

Exhibit B)
    My friend and I were driving around his schools campus, smoking from the same bubbler. He smokes a lot and usually has no problems holding in big hits, etc., so when after about the third hit, he burped, made the same just-swallowed-a-chili-pepper face I thought it was a bit odd. He was sure it had to do with the new bubbler, since it was the first time he used it. I didn't have any problems with the bubbler but I was pretty high by the time this happened so I didn't put much thought into it. For the rest of the ride he kept complaining about how intense the burning/scratching was in his throat and how it was ruining his high.

Exhibit C)
    Some co-workers and I were smoking a couple bowls after we were all done closing when, while exhaling a pretty big hit, I burped. As soon as I felt the burning/scratchiness in my throat, I connected the dots and it all became clear.

Although these three events were pretty far apart from each other, I somehow remembered that the three of us burped while exhaling before we experienced the same, terrible, high-ruining, burning/scratchiness in the throat. Now I'm not sure why this happens, but I think it might be because when you burp the smoke gets in places it isn't supposed to go and irritates the hell out of your throat.

So, has anyone else experienced this?

If not, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're willing to test out my hypothesis, please feel free and let me know the results.:smoke:

Peace.

2. Usually you burp if you swallow your hit. That can be pretty uncomfortable. Also, was the bud dry, because this happens to me sometimes if I'm smoking some dry bud and take a huggeee hit.

3. possibly burping up stomach acid...

4. That's what I was thinking.

You guys were probably too high at the time to know you burped up acid so you took the burning feeling in your throats as if there's something wrong with the bubbler. I wouldn't sweat it but if it keeps happening in the future, just smoke your bud with something else.

5. I don't know you guys.
    I mean, it does make sense, but I've burped out stomach acid plenty of times before and that's a pretty distinctive experience, so I think I would (and they would) recognize it even if I was (they were) totally stoned.